|  Environmental Biology M.S. FAQs
Bookmark and Share

Environmental Biology M.S. FAQs

What is the accelerated five-year dual degree program?

The program was created to support undergraduate students with top academic standing in continuing their education at Hood College to earn a master’s degree in addition to their undergraduate degree within 5 years. Working in tandem, the student’s advisor from their undergraduate major of study and the graduate program director will ensure that the proper sequence of undergraduate coursework is completed to ensure a smooth transition into the graduate program.

Is there a limit to how many students may enroll?


Are transfer students eligible? If so, how does that work?

Transfer students may apply for the degree program after the first semester of their junior year. These students may be admitted into the accelerated program, but will usually need at least one additional semester of graduate coursework in order to complete both degrees.

What undergraduate majors are eligible to participate in the program?

Students must complete the undergraduate major in environmental science and policy.

What are the admission requirements?

Interested students must apply to the program director of the environmental biology program by the drop-add deadline of the first semester of their junior year. To apply, students must have a declared major in environmental science and policy and have a 3.5 GPA at the time of application.

How do I apply?

Interested undergraduate students in their junior year should apply for admission to the ENV master’s program via the graduate online application. Students are encouraged to meet with the ENV program director prior to the application process.

Do I need to maintain my GPA at certain level to stay in the program?

Students are required to maintain a 3.0 GPA.

How are courses sequenced?

The program is designed for students to undertake a major graduate research project the summer of their fourth year in order to complete their master’s program the following summer. Students accepted into the program are given permission to take up to three graduate courses during their junior and senior years to complete the program.

When will my status change to graduate student status?

Upon completion of your undergraduate studies.

How many credits do I have to take each semester?

You will be required to complete nine credits each fall and spring semester and six credits in each of two summer sessions, which are completed over the course of both summers.

Can I take a hiatus or leave of absence between my fourth and fifth year and still complete my master’s degree by the end of the fifth year?

No, you will need to complete an additional semester if you take a break or leave of absence at any point in the program.

Can I get financial support as a five-year student?

You will be considered a graduate student in your fifth year. Financial aid eligibility for graduate students is limited to Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loans and private alternative loans only.

Does the cost per semester change in year four or year five?

When you become an graduate student in year five, the Graduate School tuition/fee rates apply.

Are five-year students eligible for graduate assistantships?

Please check with the Graduate School regarding graduate assistantships.

Is campus housing available for the fifth year?

Fifth-year campus housing is available, as either single-rooms or apartments, for dual-degree students who have been housed on campus during their undergraduate coursework.

What does a five-year program schedule look like?

This sample schedule was designed to guide and to give students a sense of the course load and intensity. Advisors will work with students to tweak the schedule based on their chosen concentration.