Home  |  Academics  |  Study Abroad
  |  To Apply
Bookmark and Share

To Apply

The College encourages students to study abroad during the junior year. Some sophomores study abroad because of a compelling program or personal reasons, and in rare instances the College permits seniors to study abroad in the fall semester. When considering study abroad, students should first contact their advisor and the Study Abroad Programs director.

Language students planning to study abroad should first consult with the Global Languages and Cultures Department faculty to discuss the study abroad program in depth and the requirements for the program of choice.

Nonlanguage students should consult with the director of Study Abroad Programs before determining a course of study abroad.

All students intending overseas study should complete the application materials at least one semester in advance of the proposed study.

Choosing a Program:

Studying abroad can be a life changing decision, and much of what you gain on your trip has to do with choosing a program that best fits you.

  • What are your academic goals for studying abroad?
  • How does studying abroad fit into your future goals?
  • Where would you like to study abroad?
  • What is the language of the country? If classes are taught in a language other than English, do you have sufficient proficiency?
  • What types of housing are offered? Will you be living with other international students, host country students or a host family?
  • What support services does the program offer?
  • What is the current political situation in the country?
  • Do you want a yearlong program? Semester? Summer?


Steps to apply to a program

  • Meet with the Study Abroad director to discuss programs and eligibility.
  • Meet with your professors, advisor and the chair of your department.
    • Ask them about the program. Are the courses offered adequate? Will they transfer back to Hood? Do they have any advice about studying abroad? Can they recommend a program?
  • Apply to the program. Application procedures and requirements differ depending on the program. You should always give yourself PLENTY of time to complete the application. Nearly all applications need letters of recommendation, transcripts, financial aid information and a multitude of signatures. You should begin as soon as possible. There is no such thing as planning too early, but you can plan too late!
  • Meet with financial aid staff

    There is no general guideline about financial aid. Financial information is given on an individual basis. The amount of money a student received depends on their major, the desired place of study, and which program the student studies through. Students should contact Susan Erb ( in financial aid so she can go through your specific situation with you. Some programs offer scholarship opportunities. There are also other 3rd party scholarships available that may fit your background and area of study

  • Meet with the registrar. The forms that need to be filled out and signed by the appropriate parties before you can study abroad are:
    • Petition to study abroad
    • Change of status
    • Quality point or credit option
  • Passport

You can’t study abroad without a passport. Most countries will also require that you have at least six months leeway available on your passport, so make sure it is up to date! You can apply for a passport at the post office.

  • Visas

    Check with the program provider, and double check with the country’s embassy website to see the requirements for obtaining a visa. Every country has different time constraints, applications, requirements, etc.


Hood College encourages all students to study abroad,regardless of their perspective majors. Hood has formal associations with several established overseas programs and the study abroad office will work with students to choose a program that best fits their needs.

Sweet Briar JYF- ( The Sweet Briar Junior Year in France is the oldest coeducational intercollegiate program in Paris. With program centers in Paris and Nice, students are able to choose from an extensive variety of regular university courses in the sciences, math, business, arts and humanities. All courses are taught in French by university professors.

Dickenson College Study in France- ( Dickinson study in France is located in Toulouse. While Dickinson’s Toulouse program is language intensive and designed for students with an advanced level of French, participants have the chance to study a tremendous variety of subjects at the program’s five partner institutions.

University of Munich, Germany- ( The Junior Year in Munich is America’s oldest intercollegiate study abroad program in Germany, and is officially affiliated with Germany's top-ranked university, Ludwig Maximilians Universität München (LMU Munich).

Universitat de Mainz, Germany- ( With approximately 35,300 students from more than 130 nations, the Johannes Gutenberg University Mainz (JGU) ranks as one of Germany’s largest universities and is the scientific and academic center of the state of Rhineland-Palatinate. For students in the German langauge program.

Bahrom International Program, Seoul South Korea- ( A monthlong summer session, students take classes in English with Korean students to learn about Korean culture, language and society.

CIEE- ( CIEE’s mission is “to help people gain understanding, acquire knowledge, and develop skills for living in a globally interdependent and culturally diverse world.” With more than 130 programs in 40 countries, CIEE has a wide variety of subjects and experiences available. Most Hood students study at the CIEE Seville, Spain, center, but students have also attended CIEE programs in Australia and other countries.

CAPA-( CAPA offers programs in five major cities around the world. Classes are taught in English with emphasis on combining theme-based learning with cultural events connecting the classroom to the local environment.

Other places to find information on study abroad programs:

Helpful links:

  • Study Abroad Checklist: A step-by-step guide for students interested in studying abroad
  • US State department: Foreign study abroad/travel abroad/ passport regulations
  • STEP program: (Smart Traveler Enrollment Program) “The Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) is a free service provided by the U.S. government to U.S. citizens who are traveling to, or living in a foreign country.” Hood College recommends that all travelers studying abroad enroll in STEP.