|  FAQs for International Admission
Bookmark and Share

FAQs for International Admission

Application Questions:

  •  I am an international student who wants to attend Hood College. What are you looking for in a strong applicant?
    • Admission to Hood College is competitive and offered on the basis of a student's academic preparation, demonstrated achievement and potential for intellectual and personal growth. All applicants for first-year admission are expected to have completed a full college preparatory curriculum, including the following:
      • 4 credits of English
      • 3 credits of mathematics, 4 credits preferred (including at least Algebra I, Algebra II, and Geometry)
      • 3 credits of laboratory or natural science
      • 3 credits of social science
      • 2 credits of the same foreign language
      • 1 academic elective
  •  I am an international student; how can I demonstrate my English proficiency?
    • Hood College allows students to apply as test optional if they have attended four years of high school in the United States. However, if you have taken the SAT, ACT, TOEFL or IELTS examinations, it is recommended that you submit official test score profiles to Hood College. For students whose native language is not English and/or the language of instruction in your most recent school was not English, you are required to submit either your TOEFL or  IELTS scores.
  •  Do I have to submit SAT or ACT scores?
    • Hood College does not require students to submit SAT or ACT scores. If you feel that including these scores will help your application, you may do so.
  •  How many letters of recommendation do I need? Who should submit them?
    • Applicants should submit at least two letters of recommendation. One letter should be from a guidance counselor, guidance director, headmaster, or principal. The second letter should be from an academic instructor from your most recent school. Students who are currently enrolled in an English as a Second Language (ESL) program, please have your ESL instructor provide your recommendation. You may submit additional letters of recommendation from other teachers/professors as part of your application.
  • English is my native language. Can I get a waiver for the TOEFL?
    • You will not need to submit TOEFL or IELTS scores if English is your native language; however, you may be asked to interview with an admission counselor.
  • Do I need to sit for an admission interview?
    • For most students, interviews are not required, but they are recommended. We want to meet you, discuss your interests, and answer your questions. Interviews may be conducted on-campus or via Skype, phone or other electronic media.
  • Does Hood College offer conditional admission?
    • No. Hood College admits students on a rolling basis to begin their studies for the semester they apply. If a student is missing documents or does not meet our minimum requirements, it is recommended that he or she works to meet the requirements before applying to Hood College.
  • My transcript isn't in English. Do I need to translate it?
  • When will I receive notice of Hood's decision on my application?
    • Once a complete application is received by the Hood College Admission Office, it is immediately reviewed by our staff. Students are evaluated for admission and financial grants at the same time and will receive their admission decision along with any information on grant awards at the same time. Applicants are informed of admission decisions as soon as possible. Students should apply before the deadline for application. The deadline for fall admission is June 15; the deadline for spring admission is Nov. 15.
  • I can't submit all of my documents by the deadline. What should I do?
    • Applicants must apply by the deadline listed for each term in order to be considered for that term. If you miss the deadline or are unable to complete your application by the deadline, you will need to apply for the next open term. This may mean filling out an additional online application for the new term.
  • How can I check the status of my application?
    • Any questions regarding your application status should be directed to the International Admission Coordinator, who can be reached via email at or by phone at 301-696-3400.
  • I have already graduated from college/university with a bachelor's degree. Can I enter a graduate program at Hood College?
    • Yesl Hood College has a graduate program that offers 17 master's degrees and 12 certificate programs. The Graduate School operates independently from the undergraduate admission office. Please visit or contact the Graduate School at to learn more.


Hood Questions:

  • How many international students does Hood College have?
    • Hood College sees a growing number of international students enrolling in our undergraduate and graduate programs each year. This year, Hood is home to students from 21 different countries. The 2016 fact sheet states that two percent of the undergraduate population and 14 percent of the graduate population came to Hood from outside of the United States.
  • Does Hood College have an ESL program?
    • No, Hood College does not currently have an English as a Second Language (ESL) program. Students admitted to Hood College should have a high-intermediate level of English, as they will immediately be placed in academic courses. Students who need additional support may register for ENG 100-E, Elements of Composition, which will address expository writing while emphasizing the fundamentals of grammar, sentence structure, and paragraph construction.
  • What majors does Hood College offer?
    • Hood College offers 33 major fields of study for bachelor's degrees, as well as more than 40 minors at the undergraduate level. You can view the different programs here:
  • Where is Hood College located?
    • Hood College is located in Frederick, Maryland, on the east coast of the United States. Frederick is a historic city, and it is the third-largest city in Maryland. Hood is about an hour from the national capital, Washington, D.C. and Baltimore, Maryland, and it is about 30 minutes from the I-270 technology corridor. Frederick has a vibrant community and an active downtown area.
  • What support services does Hood College offer to International Students?
    • There are many support services available to students on Hood's campus, including Student Engagement, Residence Life, the Health and Wellness Center, the Center for Academic Achievement and Retention (CAAR), and the International Student Services Office. The International Student Services Office provides support to help you integrate into campus and community life and also provides general information on immigration materials and other resources. You can view the many support services here:
  • How do I register for classes?
    • Once you are accepted and enrolled at Hood College, you will be put in contact with an advisor who will assist you in choosing your courses at Hood College. Registration does not need to take place in person, but if you are able to attend a summer orientation program, you will be able to meet with your advisor during the event to choose your courses. Those who are unable to attend a summer orientation session will be contacted by their advisor to choose courses.


Scholarship and Financial Aid Questions:

  • Does Hood College provide scholarships or financial aid to international students?
    • Yes. Hood College offers grants to international students based on their academic backgrounds. All applicants will be considered for these grants.
  • How do I apply for an international student grant?
    • Students are automatically considered for Hood College international student grants when they submit a completed application to Hood College. You do not need to submit a separate application.
  • Does Hood College offer grants or scholarships that cover the complete cost of attendance?
    • No. The highest grant offered will only cover a portion of the total cost of attendance. 
  • I received a grant from Hood College. Can I be given this funding in advance to help pay for my student visa and airline ticket?
    • No. All awards are used toward tuition at Hood College and are credited to your student account. The college is unable to advance awards.
  • Am I eligible for financial aid?
    • In general, non-citizens are not eligible to apply for need-based financial aid. Some immigrant statuses (green card holders, for example) allow students to complete a FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid). If you are unsure whether or not you are eligible to complete a FAFSA, please visit
  • Does Hood College offer sports scholarships?
    • Hood College does not offer any athletic scholarships. Hood College participates in NCAA Division III athletics in both men's and women's sports. Students interested in participating in athletics are encouraged to add their interest to their application. 

Immigration Questions:

  • When will I receive my I-20 visa form?
    • Form I-20 Certificate of Eligibility will be issued to students who have confirmed enrollment at Hood College. Once a student is admitted, they will be sent information about enrollment. The earlier students enroll, the earlier they will receive their Form I-20 and information about registering for their classes.
  • I am applying for my F-1 visa using SEVIS. It says that I have to pay a fee. Will Hood College pay for this?
    • No. Students are responsible for paying the SEVIS fee when applying for an F-1 visa. Hood College will supply the I-20 paperwork for the student to study in the United States, but it is up to the student to apply for the visa and take the necessary steps. For more information, you can visit
  • When should I apply for my student visa?
    • Once you receive you I-20, you should make an appointment at the US Embassy or Consulate as soon as possible. Depending on your country, it could take some time before you are able to receive your visa. You should apply with plenty of time to reach the United States for new student orientation.
  • I am a dual citizen. What citizenship should I use to apply to Hood College?
    • If you are a dual US-other citizen, it is recommended that you apply with your US citizenship. US citizens are eligible to apply for the FAFSA (see Financial Aid section). If you are a dual citizen for two non-US countries, you may select the citizenship with which you wish to apply. It is recommended that you research the visa restrictions for your selected country prior to application.
  • I have a different immigration status and will not need an F-1 visa. How should I apply?
    • Hood College works with many students who have other immigration statuses, and your status may not limit your eligibility to attend Hood College. Apply as an International Student, and select the correct status when answering "I plan to enter Hood College as..." If the admission staff has additional questions, one of the counselors will contact you.
  • Can I get a job? How do I apply for OPT?
    • Students on an F-1 visa have certain restrictions for work. Your student visa limits the amount of time you can work and where you can work. There are some campus employment opportunities available to international students, but there are always more students than there are available opportunities. Students interested in campus employment should contact the Office of International Student Services. OPT, or Optional Practical Training, "is a form of temporary employment that directly relates to your program of study. You can apply for OPT during your program of study, which is known as pre-completion OPT, or after you finish your program of study, which is known as post-completion OPT." Students interested in OPT will need to meet with the Director of International Student Services for more information, including deadlines to apply and the list of documents that are necessary for application. More information about work authorization and OPT can be found at
  • I'm already in the United States on an F-1 visa. How do I transfer to Hood College?
    • If you are already in the United States on an F-1 visa and wish to transfer to Hood College, you will need to apply and be accepted as a transfer student. Once accepted, you will contact your current institution's DSO to transfer your SEVIS record to Hood College. You will then receive a Hood College-specific I-20 that states that you are a Hood College student. You will not need to leave the US or apply for a new visa at this time. If you plan to leave the US between the time that you leave your current institution and the time that you start attending Hood College, you may need to apply for a new visa. Contact your current institution's DSO for more information.
  • I am in the United States and would like to change my visa to F-1. How do I change my visa status to F-1?
    • If you are in the United States on a different visa (B-1, F-2, J, etc.), you may need to change your status to an F-1 student visa in order to remain in the U.S. to study. There are two ways to change your status: leaving the country and applying as an F-1 student, or remaining in the US and applying to USCIS to change your status. You will be guided through this process by the International Student Coordinator at Hood College. You can also find information at