The Center for Academic Achievement and Retention assists Hood students as they discover the path to academic success and provides targeted tools and supports to help along the way. CAAR seeks to empower students as they develop into successful independent learners and provide targeted academic supports for known areas of academic difficulty. CAAR provides students with supports in academic skills building, academic advising and mentoring, writing and mathematics assistance and disability support services. CAAR focuses on the goals and needs of each individual student as they discover the interconnectedness of their academic programs and their personal goals.
Expectations and Responsibilities:
Our expectations of each student:
- Ask questions, and don’t be afraid to ask for help! Students who are unsure where to go for assistance can stop by CAAR or talk to their professors.
Students should check their email regularly, and respond! This is be the primary way in which Hood communicates with students. Don't miss out on important information.
- Follow through on, and be prepared for meetings.
- If yit becomes impossible to an appointment, call or email to let the CAAR staff know!
- Be invested in your education. Stop by your professor’s office just to get to know them, join a club or organization, go to campus events and have fun!
What you can expect from CAAR:
- A timely response. The CAAR staff will get back to you as soon as we possibly can!
- Personalized support. Weather you need to meet with a tutor or an advisor or disability services, you can expect us to provide you with our full attention and to work with you as you learn and develop as a student.
- Honest information. Sometimes you may find yourself in a dilemma and the truth will be hard to hear. However, it is always important for you to know what is going on, and we are here help you work through whatever it is you are going through.
- Assistance with academic troubles (and other trouble, too)! Stop by if you are struggling with time management, study skills, test taking, etc.
- Follow up and preparedness for meetings. If you schedule a meeting with us, we’ll be here and we’ll be ready!
Did we miss something? Let us know!