No one is authorized to perform, exhibit, reproduce, transmit, or otherwise distribute
copies of copyrighted motion pictures, sound files or other copyrighted materials.
The distribution, reproduction, or transmission of unauthorized copies of copyrighted
materials (motion pictures, sound files, and etcetera) constitutes copyright infringement
under the Copyright Act, Title 17 United States Code Section 106(3). This conduct may
also violate the laws of other countries, international law, and/or treaty obligations.
When Hood's IT department is notified of possible violations, steps must be taken
immediately to stop the alleged unauthorized distribution. These steps are:
- Temporarily disable Internet access for the specified IP address.
- Determine who has been assigned the specified IP address.
- Notify Assistant Dean of Students/Residence Life and Judicial Affairs (or
appropriate Student Life staff) of this alleged unauthorized use.
- Student should be notified by Student Life staff.
- After student has been notified, IT staff will contact student to discuss the alleged
violation and what steps the student must take. These will include deleting the
item from their computer and informing them that when they use any peer to peer
software that they should disable the sharing to other users of files by the client
software (imesh, Kazaa, etcetera).
- Student should send an email to IT once these steps have been taken.
- IT staff will reactivate IP address for Internet access from their personal
- If a second violation should occur, the first 4 steps will be done.
- The IT department will refer alleged charges to AJC.
- If it is determined by the AJC that the student did violate copyright laws, AJC will
make final recommendations for disciplinary actions. The minimum sanction
proposed by IT would be that the student's Internet access from their personal
computer would stay disabled through the rest of academic year. AJC may
impose a stronger sanction as well as an educational one.
- If repeated violations occur, the student's network account will be disabled.