|  Veteran Benefits
Bookmark and Share

Veteran Benefits

The Hood College Financial Aid Office provides services to veterans and dependents of veterans eligible for educational benefits. Please take a moment to read the requirements and procedures for filing for these benefits.

Educational benefit programs include:

  • Chapter 30, Montgomery GI Bill
  • Chapter 31, Vocational Rehabilitation
  • Chapter 33, Post-9/11 GI Bill: Hood College participates in the Yellow Ribbon program
  • Chapter 35, Survivors’ and Dependents’ Educational Assistance
  • Chapter 1606, Selected Reserve

For information on each of these programs, current payment rates, availability of benefits or approvals see here or call the local Regional VA Office at 1-888-442-4551.

If applying for VA educational benefits for the first time, complete the Application for Educational Benefits (VA Form 22-1990 or 22-5490 for Ch 35). The VA’s online application (VONAPP) can be accessed here. Submit a copy of your application with a copy of your DD-214 to the VA School Certifying Official in the financial aid office.

If you are a transfer student who has used VA educational benefits at another institution, complete a VA Change of Program or Place of Training form (VA Form 22-1995 or 22-5495 for Ch 35) available online at Please also provide a copy of your DD-214 and Certificate of Eligibility (CoE).

Enrollment certification

Each semester, a student’s enrollment must be certified with the VA. All students must submit the Hood College Declaration of Intent form for each semester that benefits are being used. To avoid delays in processing claims, it is extremely important to submit all information including any changes. The Declaration of Intent form is available here .

Hood College Yellow Ribbon Scholarship 2016-2017

Hood College participates in the Department of Veterans Affairs Yellow Ribbon program and accepts an unlimited number of eligible students.

The Yellow Ribbon GI Education Enhancement program (Yellow Ribbon program) is a provision of the Post-9/11 Veterans Educational Assistance Act of 2008. This program allows institutions of higher learning (degree granting institutions) in the United States to voluntarily enter into an agreement with the VA to fund tuition expenses that exceed the VA cap of $21,970.46 for private schools. The institution can contribute up to 50 percent of those expenses and VA will match the same amount as the institution.

Hood College has agreed to provide Yellow Ribbon program scholarships to an unlimited number of eligible individuals during the 2016 - 2017 academic year. The Department of Veterans Affairs determines an individual’s eligibility for educational benefits. The scholarships will be administered in the following manner:

  • Scholarship applicants must have proof of application for Chapter 33 or a Certificate of Eligibility (CoE) from VA to be considered for the Yellow Ribbon program.
  • Applicants who have not received their CoE before applying for the Yellow Ribbon program must submit it to the VA Certifying Official as soon as it is received.
  • Applicants must complete and submit the Hood College Declaration of Intent form. (Applicants must be registered at Hood College for the courses to be certified.)
  • Participating students remain in the Yellow Ribbon program throughout their enrollment at Hood College and remain eligible for Yellow Ribbon program scholarship as long as each of the following applies: Hood College continues to participate in the Yellow Ribbon Program, the students remain in good academic standing, and the students have remaining entitlement.

Hood College VA School Certifying Official contact information:

Susan Erb, Associate Director of Financial Aid
Fax: 301-696-3812

Yvette Rood, Financial Aid Counselor
Fax: 301-696-3812