Hood College aspires to be a premier, comprehensive liberal arts college by offering its students an excellent and
engaging educational experience that prepares graduates for success.
(Approved June 9, 2016 by the Hood College Board of Trustees)
Through an integration of the liberal arts and the professions, Hood College provides an education that empowers students to use their hearts, minds and hands to meet personal, professional and global challenges and to lead purposeful lives of responsibility, leadership, service and civic engagement.
Statement of Purpose
Hood College prepares its graduates for lives of responsibility, leadership and service by offering an educational
experience that integrates liberal and professional learning in a student-centered environment.
The College's Commitment
Hood College is committed to:
- A meaningful, well-rounded education: Offering high quality undergraduate and graduate curricula that
prepares students for meaningful lives, promising careers and responsible global citizenship; and providing
innovative and rewarding extra- and co-curricular opportunities, including internships, lecture series, field trips,
leadership experiences and athletics;
- Investments in academic excellence: Sharpening the College’s focus on academic excellence by supporting
faculty and staff enrichment, teaching innovation and meaningful faculty and student research;
- Academic innovation: Preserving Hood’s rich heritage in the liberal arts while pursuing new undergraduate and
graduate academic opportunities;
- Building community: Promoting a vibrant campus environment through student life initiatives that support the
academic missions and student success and celebrate diversity and inclusiveness;
- Investments in people: Attracting, developing and retaining the best student and employee talent;
- Regional partnerships: Enhancing intellectual, cultural and social relationships throughout the regional
community by developing partnerships with educational institutions, government agencies and corporations in
the greater Washington, D.C.,-Baltimore region; and
- Preservation and enhancement: Acting as responsible stewards to protect, preserve and enhance the College’s
finances, physical assets and reputation through the strategic management of institutional resources, institutional
advancement and marketing.
- Knowledge and intellectual freedom: The power of ideas to transform lives, for the past to illuminate the present
and for theory to guide practice;
- Honor and integrity: Living lives that adhere to the highest standards of ethics, honesty, trustworthiness and
respect for the self and others, as symbolized by Hood’s honor code;
- Leadership: The art of influencing others by setting an example through words, deeds, service and responsible
- Diversity and inclusiveness: Living the dream in which individuals are judged by the content of their character;
- Responsible stewardship: The responsibility to use talents, capabilities and resources to the best of one’s abilities
to excel; and
- Hope: Making the world a better place by living with values and pursuing opportunities to the fullest while being
mindful of obligations to self and society as responsible citizens of a democracy.