Camp Raudy is named for Rudolph and Sallie Tetrick Rau, who in 1924 donated six wooded acres of land and the funds to construct a cabin in the nearby Catoctin Mountains for use by the department of physical education. Camp Raudy was located five miles west of Frederick.
Dr. Rau, a well-known resident of Frederick, was born June 1, 1871, in Bolivar, W.V. He was the son of Rudolph and Amalia Mylius Rau, immigrants to the United States from Stuttgart, Germany.
Educated in the public schools of Bolivar, he received his medical degree in 1900 from the College of Physicians and Surgeons, now known as the University of Maryland Medical School in Baltimore. Following his graduation he became a prominent surgeon in Wheeling General Hospital in Wheeling, W.V.
In 1912, while performing surgery, he was struck with paralysis which forced him into early retirement. Soon after, he moved to Frederick where he purchased a sizeable tract of land near Fort Detrick and built a large mansion that he called Villa Rau. In 1929 he built and moved into a home on Rockwell Terrace (now owned by Serene Quynn Collmus ’47 and her husband, trustee emeritus, Dwight Collmus).
Interested in farming, Dr. Rau also owned several large farms in Frederick County and was an active real estate investor, buying and selling properties in the area. He was active in the American Medical Association.
Devoted to her husband and her family, Sallie Tetrick Rau was born March 19, 187, the daughter of Marion and Hannah Huey Terrick of Mannington, W.V. The Raus were married for more than thirty years and were active members of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in Frederick. They had two daughters (now deceased), Sarah Rau Lee ’30 and Marion Rau Heater ’33, both of whom graduated from Hood. Both Dr. Rau, who died May 26, 1948, and Sallie Rau, who died April 1, 1946, are buried in Mount Olivet Cemetery.
Camp Raudy was used by the department of physical education and athletics as a site for outdoor education. Classes covered such topics as orienteering and risk/challenge. One course was designed to foster confidence through a structured, graduated series of events such as the “zip wire” and the “wall.” A “ropes” course was set up permanently at Camp Raudy. The cabin was also used on a regular basis for outings by the Recreation Association.
Martz Hall was built in 1925 as a 30-bed infirmary. It was renovated in 1976 as a residence hall for 25 students, and then again in 1984 when it was air conditioned. Over the years it also has been used for housing conference groups held on campus.
Today it is known as French House, a foreign language residence hall where students practice their language skills. During the summer it is used as a conference center for professional and educational groups.
Martz Hall is named in memory of Freda E. Martz of Braddock Heights, who left a sizeable portion of her estate to the College. The building was dedicated February 17, 1977.
Miss Martz was born October 4, 1903, the daughter of Alvey A. and Mildred Ford Martz of Boonsboro, Md., and died June 2, 1976. A quiet lady devoted to her friends and her church, Miss Martz loved Frederick County and wanted her estate to be used to contribute to the area’s vitality.