A variety of organizations in the Washington, D.C., metropolitan area need foreign language experts. For you, this means exciting internship opportunities and a wide range of career options. Hood's location, one hour north of D.C., means that a wealth of nearby internship opportunities. Numerous international agencies, companies, financial institutions and embassies are located in or near the nation's capital.
Internships are also available for qualified French students in government agencies, international organizations and corporations in Strasbourg, France. In the U.S., some internship sites have included the following:
Internships are available for qualified students in German, including some in Germany through the Carl Duisberg Society, in museums, law offices and government agencies in and around Bonn. Internships in the U.S. have included:
- Linguamundi International
- The U.S. Information Agency
- Schifferstadt Museum
Spanish and Latin America
Spanish and Latin American majors are also encouraged to pursue internships. Recent internship sites have included:
Hood students find employment in a wide range of fields. Most go directly into the workforce, while others go on to graduate school or law school. A Spanish major from Hood has served as the U.S. State Department liaison for Latin American Cultural Affairs. Another graduate teaches in France, and another is employed with the National Park Service producing bilingual brochures and other information. Other language majors have found employment with multinational corporations such as IBM, Marriott and COMSAT.
French and Spanish
Employers of recent graduates who have majored in French and Spanish include:
Some foreign language majors are language teachers in public and private schools. Others are working for corporations or for the government. A significant number of alumni have pursued careers in law or computer science, building on the analytical skills they developed in learning a foreign language.
Jobs held by successful Hood graduates include:
- President and CEO, Quality Language Programs, Inc.
- Associate corporate recruiter, Computer Data Systems, Inc.
- Narcotics prosecutor, U.S. Department of Justice
- Special Agent, FBI
- President, The Young Marketing Group
- Analyst, U.S. Department of Defense
- Assistant Vice President, Mellon Bank
- Attorney, Strook, Strook & Lavan, International Consulting Group
- Foreign service officer, U.S. State Department
- District manager, Hewlett-Packard Co.
- Professor of Modern Languages, Wesleyan College
- Publisher, The Prime Times Press
- Spanish Teacher, Hong Kong International School
- Associate Professor of French, Academy New Church College
- Co-owner and Vice-President, M2 (translation company)
Hood graduates with majors or minors in foreign languages and literatures have been accepted into graduate programs at: