This Web site has been designed to assist you in your family's transition to Hood. It will have all the forms that need to be completed, copies of Orientation publications and other important information for you!
Family Resource Notebook
Check your mail for Hood's Orientation Resource Notebook, sent to all new Hood students. It will contain everything you need to become familiar with Hood.
Watch for a series of Orientation Newsletters that will arrive once a month beginning in May. These newsletters will contain important information about your student's transition to Hood.
It is important for family members to read these documents along with your student.
To ensure that your student is placed in the appropriate course levels or sections, new Hood first-year students are required to take placement tests in English composition, mathematics and a foreign language, or met exemption requirements for each test. Placement tests may be taken beginning April 8, 2013, and must be completed by June 1, 2013. Please discuss these tests with your student.
Summer Orientation is designed for your initial transition to Hood! The program will teach you what you need to know about navigating through Hood and give you the opportunity to meet other family members.
It is a chance for you to:
- Visit the campus
- Meet with a Hood faculty member who will be assisting your student through their educational journey
- Meet important staff members, including the President, the Vice President for Student Life, the Director of Campus Safety, the provost (vice President for Academic Affairs), Finance and Financial Aid staff, etc.
- Learn about the developmental process a student experiences
- Become familiar with the Parents' Council
Summer Orientation begins with check-in from 9 to 9:30 a.m. in the Whitaker Campus Commons and will wrap up by 4 p.m.
Summer Orientation dates are:
Attendance at each session is limited to 100 students, so students should register early!
Fall Orientation builds on the skills and information students received during Summer Orientation.
During Fall Orientation, the entire Class of 2017 will be on campus together for the five-day mandatory program, held Thursday, Aug. 16 - Monday, Aug. 20. Residential students will move into their residence halls Thursday, Aug. 18.
Family member participation in Fall Orientation is encouraged on Thursday, Aug. 18:
- 4 p.m.: Orientation Opening Session for students and
- 4:30 p.m.: Student Life Team Overview for family members
What can we do for you?
If we can answer any questions, please don't hesitate to e-mail us at email@example.com, or phone us at (301) 696-3575.