Please Wait. Loading Menu...

International Graduate Admission

The graduate programs require that a student who does not earn at least a baccalaureate degree in the U.S., United Kingdom, Canada, Australia, Ireland or New Zealand, submit an official score report from the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or International English Language Testing System (IELTS). The Hood College school code is 5296.

International students requiring F-1 visas must adhere to the following deadlines to be considered for the semester of choice. All application materials must be submitted to the Graduate School by the dates below:

  • July 15 for fall semester
  • December 1 for spring semester

Late applications will be deferred for review for the following semester. The following requirements are necessary for consideration of full admission for international students entering any graduate degree program:

  • A minimum TOEFL score of 89 Internet-based scale or 231 computer-based scale (575 former scale)
  • A minimum IELTS score of 6.5.

Some programs may review applications for possible provisional admission with the following English language test scores. Applicants whose test scores fall below the minimum requirements for provisional admission are not admissible:

  • TOEFL: 79-88
  • IELTS: 5.5 or 6

Any student who has completed a baccalaureate in the United States, United Kingdom, Canada, Australia, Ireland or New Zealand is waived from this testing requirement.

International students who earned a baccalaureate degree from another country must obtain a course-by-course evaluation of those transcripts by a certified organization. Hood College accepts evaluations from World Education Services (WES),, or any other member of the National Association for Credential Evaluation Services (NACES), The evaluation results must be sealed and mailed directly to: Hood College Graduate School, 401 Rosemont Ave., Frederick, MD 21701-8575.

Almost all of our students work full-time and attend classes in the evenings. All courses that are offered exclusively to graduate students are conducted during evening hours. It is not possible to earn a graduate degree during daytime hours at Hood College. It usually takes two or more years of part-time study to earn a master's degree. International students with student visas must pursue nine (9) hours of credit each semester to be considered full-time graduate students. The number of programs that offer enough courses for a full-time load during every semester is limited.

International applicants seeking F-1 visas must complete the application for I-20 after being admitted and before registering for coursework. As part of the I-20 application, students must arrange for financial support from their governments, from international organizations or from personal and family resources. We estimate the costs for one year of graduate study at Hood College to be approximately $22,000 in U.S. funds. This includes: tuition, fees, books, lodging, food, clothing, transportation and incidental expenses. There is a one-time I-20 processing fee of $50, due upon receipt of the application for I-20. I-20 applications will not be processed until a fee is submitted. In addition, students requesting I-20 application processing in fewer than five (5) business days must remit a $250 expedite fee at the time of request.

Please note: All graduate students are responsible for all fees and living expenses. Hood College does not provide housing for graduate students, nor can faculty and staff assist you in locating housing. Please make sure your housing is secured before you arrive to the U.S. and/or campus.

It is incumbent upon all students to understand that the academic standards of the graduate programs at Hood College are applied equally to all students without regard to written, oral or semantic capabilities in English. Thus, all prospective students should consider their competency in English with care. The office of the Director of Multicultural Affairs offers support services and programs to help students with personal, academic and practical concerns.

Resident Aliens and Other Visa Statuses

Students who are not citizens of the United States will be required to submit a copy of their Resident Alien card or current visa before registering for any coursework.


I-20 Application  

I-20 Visa Transfer Application  

International Student Handbook