In addition to the salary program offered at Hood College, we also offer a competitive benefits package, as summarized below. This summary is for informational purposes only, and the College reserves the right to change benefit offerings at any time. For more complete information, we advise all employees to consult their Staff Manual or their Summary Plan Descriptions. In addition, individual consultation with personnel in the Human Resources Office is always available.
The College normally recognizes the following paid holidays:
- Martin Luther King's Birthday
- New Year's Day and the last working day before New Year's Day
- Memorial Day
- Independence Day
- Labor Day
- Thanksgiving Day and the following Friday
- Christmas Day and the last working day before Christmas Day (College is closed from Dec 23 through Jan 1. Weekdays are treated as holidays.)
*Half time or greater staff receive two personal days from anniversary date of employment, which cannot be carried forward from year to year.
In proportion to their percentage of full-time employment, employees are entitled to certain types of leave, such as: vacation and medical (half-time or greater employees), emergency, leave without pay, and leave for jury duty.
The following government-mandated benefits are available to all employees:
- Unemployment Insurance
- Worker's Compensation
- Social Security Insurance
The following benefits are available to all half-time or greater employees, with deductions offered on a pre-tax basis*:
- Health/ Prescription Insurance*
- Dental and Vision Insurance*
- Flexible Health and Dependent Care Spending Accounts*
The following benefits are available at no expense to the employee:
- Life Insurance (half-time or greater employee)
- Disability Insurance (three quarter-time or greater employee)
- Health Advocate program (for those with the College medical/prescription insurance)
The following benefits also are available to all half-time or greater employees, at the expense of the employee:
- METPAY Group Auto & Home Insurance
- Hyatt Legal Services
- Supplemental Life Insurance
*Unless your same-sex domestic partner and his or her children are your tax qualified dependents under Section 152 of the Internal Revenue Code, your domestic partner and his or her children are not eligible for pre-tax treatment of premiums. Similarly, domestic partners are not eligible for Flexible Spending Account participation under IRS Code Section 125 for cafeteria plans, and the employer-paid portion of domestic partner benefits must be reported as taxable income.
Half-time or greater employees are eligible to enroll in the TIAA/CREF Retirement Annuity (RA) Program. Under this plan, participating employees can contribute up to 5% of their salaries, with Hood contributing a matching percentage per the example below:
GSRA: If an employee maximizes her/his RA contribution and wishes to participate in a Supplemental RA (GSRA), she/he should contact the Office of Human Resources for information.
Educational Benefits (space available basis)
Half-time or greater employees and their spouses/domestic partners may enroll in Hood's graduate or undergraduate courses without cost, in proportion to percentage of full-time employment. Likewise, the dependent children of half-time or greater employees may enroll in Hood's undergraduate program.
Dependents of all full-time (1.0 FTE) faculty (no length of service requirement) and all full-time staff (three years of service requirement) are eligible for the Tuition Exchange Program. However, participation is not a guaranteed benefit and is governed by the participating Tuition Exchange Member Institution (i.e., importing institution).
Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
Business Health Services (BHS) Employee Assistance Program (EAP) provides professional, confidential assessment, referral and short-term counseling at no cost to the employee.
- Direct Deposit of pay to bank or credit union
- Eligibility to enroll 3-4 year old children in the Onica Prall Laboratory Preschool (space available basis)
- Facilities privileges (contact Conference Services and Special Events for information)
- Bookstore (10% discount on many items to Hood employees)
- Access to Hood vehicles for college related business
- Library privileges
- Utilization of recreational facilities (gym, pools, tennis courts, weight room) by employee, spouse, and children