- Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services
- Social Security
- Offers services online
- Offers services over the phone: Automated Telephone Services (800) 772-1213
- Apply for retirement benefits
- Apply for disability benefits
- Change address/phone number, if you receive benefits
- Replace Medicare card
- Apply for Medicare extra help
- Direct deposit
- Prepare yourself and loved ones for retirement
- Complete Life series, five downloadable booklets
- Advance Care Planning: Making Choices Known
- Planning Ahead: Funeral and Memorial Services
- Preparing to say Good-bye: Care for the Dying
- When Death Occurs: What to Do When a Loved One Dies
- Help for the Bereaved: The Healing Journey
- Nursing Home Information
Legal documents, healthcare directives, end-of-life planning & decisions
- U.S. Administration on Aging
- http://www.aoa.gov/index.aspx - (800) 677 1116
- Sponsors statewide legal hotlines for those ages 60 or older. Call to get the number for specific states. (800) 677 1116
- American Bar Association on Law and Aging
- AARP "Prepare to Care" Tool Kit
- AARP Resources of End of Life, Living Wills, Dying and Death
- A Shopper's Guide to Long-Term Care Insurance
- Guide to Retirement SourceBook and other resources
- National Clearinghouse for Long-Term Care Information
- End of Life, Wills, & Estate Planning AARP
- Frederick County Department of Aging
- Life Advice Program from MetLife
- Pamphlets cover a range of topics from assessing if a nursing home is appropriate, to services covered, to payment and selection.
- Maryland Health Care Commission
- Nursing Home Grievance and Oversight Agencies
- Maryland Office of Health Care Quality has to license a care facility for it to exist.
- Local Departments of Aging should each have an ombudsman to assist.
- Office of the State Attorney General also can become involved.
- The Senior Victims Assistance Unit, in Frederick County, becomes involved in cases of abuse, etc.
- Hospice Association of America
- Information on hospice trends, how to choose a hospice, publications, and helpful links.
- Hospice of Frederick County
- AARP Resources for End of Life Care
- AARP: Funeral Planning
- Pre-need Funeral and Burial Agreements
- Funeral Consumer Alliance (FCA), a non-profit educational organization supporting