Hood Faculty and Alumnae: A collection of documents and correspondence of Hood faculty and alumnae. In this collection you will find the papers of Leah Allen, professor of astronomy, Sydney Silverman, professor of Biology, and James Byrne Ranck, chairman of the History and Political Science Department (1929-1963), among others.
Helen Smith Collection:The personal papers and memorabilia of Frederick artist, Helen L.
Smith. Includes many early sketches and working templates.
Rare Books: A separate collection of book materials that are scarce, old, or in delicate condition. Among these materials are a number of 19th-century travel diaries, which are a part of the larger Flickinger Collection, q.v., below. This collection also contains materials relating to Frederick County. These books are housed with the College Archives and they do not circulate.
The Woman’s College Collection: A collection of over 1,000 volumes, all published prior to 1914, that were part of the library of the College before it changed its name to Hood. There are even a few volumes that belonged to the Frederick Female Seminary before the Seminary’s buildings and fixtures were acquired for the new Woman’s College in 1893. These books provide a glimpse into the scientific, cultural, and intellectual life of the late 19th and early 20th Centuries. This is a non-circulating collection, housed in Room 2005.
Alumnae/i Publications: Books written or edited by graduates of Hood College. This collection is far from complete, and we welcome gifts of additional volumes by Hood alums, or suggestions of appropriate titles for purchase. This is a non-circulating collection, though at least some of the titles are duplicated within the general collection. These materials are located in the Reading Room.
Faculty Publications: Books written or edited by current or former faculty of Hood College. This collection is not exhaustive, and we welcome gifts of additional volumes written by Hood faculty, or suggestions of appropriate titles for purchase. This is a non-circulating collection, though many of its titles are duplicated within the general collection. These materials are located in the Reading Room.
Hood Publications: Includes bound back volumes of the student newspaper, The Blue and Gray and Hood Today; the alumnae/i magazine, Hood Magazine; one of the College’s literary magazines, The Lesbian Herald, and, later called The Herald; and bound volumes of older Hood College catalogs. This collection does not circulate, and some titles are not complete. It is located on the Reading Porch. If you do not find what you need, please contact 301-696-3934.
History Papers and Senior Seminar Papers: A non-circulating collection of student works housed on the Reading Porch.
Masters Theses/Masters Projects: This collection of over 500 titles is the College’s official repository for Masters Theses and Masters Projects (including Regulatory Compliance Projects, Capstone Projects, Field Work Projects, Independent Research Projects, and Mock Grant Proposals). These materials are housed on the Reading Porch and do not circulate, however, many of the more recent theses (but none of the projects) are available online through ProQuest
Ceramics Theses: A small collection of Master’s papers on ceramics and ceramic techniques from the library of Antioch and Columbia Visual Arts College, now closed. Non-circulating, housed on the Reading Porch.
Flickinger Collection: The Collection of the Flickinger Foundation for American Studies was donated by B. Floyd Flickinger and his wife, Dr. Geneva Ely, Hood Class of 1932, Honorary Doctor of History, 1958. This collection of over 5,000 books dealing primarily with American historical and sociological topics is shelved with the general collection. The “Flickinger Collection” designation appears on both the books and the catalog records of these materials.
Landauer Collection: The Irving M. Landauer Collection of Books Relating to the Civil War is a growing collection that began with a gift of over 300 books from Mrs. Grace Seitz Landauer, Hood Class of 1922, and her daughters, Mrs. Anne Laudauer Spence, Hood Class of 1947, and Miss Sally Kate Landauer. The gift was made in memory of their late husband and father, Irving Landauer, a Frederick businessman with a deep interest in Civil War history. In 1967 Mrs. Spence and her husband, Dr. George Spence, created an endowment fund specifically for the purchase of Civil War materials. Today, those funds continue to be used to augment the Landauer Collection. Shelved in the general collection, with Landauer designation in the catalog and on the books.