|  Student Handbook
Bookmark and Share

Student Handbook

To download the pdf version, click here.


Greetings from the Dean’s Office,

On behalf of the entire Division of Student Life, welcome to the start of the 2016-2017 academic year! Whether you are a new student settling into campus life for the first time or a senior returning for your final year at Hood, I trust you will find the contents of the 2016-2017 Student Handbook to be informative and helpful. Please take time to review the policies, procedures, and services outlined in the following pages. As a member of the student body, you are expected to be familiar with and are bound by policies and procedures outlined in this document, which is accessible under the Campus Life section of the website and then under Policies.

If there are concerns not addressed in the Student Handbook or you need additional guidance or clarification about any matter, do not hesitate to reach out to the designated individuals noted in this Student Handbook, or contact the Dean’s Office for assistance.

Wishing you a challenging, intriguing, productive and successful year!

Olivia G. White, Ph.D.
Vice President for Student Life and Dean of Students Alumnae Hall, Room 203

Back to the top

Administrative Policies and Procedures

Violation of College policies and procedures may be addressed administratively via the means described within this student handbook. If the policy does not specify a means for addressing violations, the matter may be referred to either the Dean of Students or the Student Conduct System for formal resolution (see Appendix A) if the violation is alleged to constitute student misconduct. Policies specifically related to student conduct are found within the Code of Conduct section (Appendix A) of this Student Handbook. The Academic Honor Code is found in Appendix B.

Back to the top

Access to Academic and Administrative Buildings and Offices After Hours

Students have access to Whitaker Campus Center 24 hours a day, except during break periods when special hours will be posted. Other administrative and academic buildings are available for student use until 11 p.m. Entrance to these facilities is possible until 10 p.m. Sunday through Thursday, and 9 p.m. Friday and Saturday.

Faculty and staff have unlimited access to buildings in which they work. Faculty and administrators who authorize students to be in academic or administrative buildings after hours should send a list of the students involved to the Department of Campus Safety and Security. Students on the approved access list should provide a valid Hood College ID when requesting entry. All persons entering or leaving a building after class hours should be sure that outside doors are closed tightly.

Back to the top

Accounting Policies

See Fees and Finances

Back to the top

Campus/Student Organization Events Policies/

Only College recognized student organizations may sponsor events on campus. The president of the organization is responsible for ensuring that College regulations are followed; however, the Department of Campus Safety and Security and student life team members are authorized to take action when necessary to ensure a safe and secure environment.

Any student organization planning to hold an event, fund-raiser or other on- or off- campus activity should contact the Office of Student Engagement in the Whitaker Campus Center for complete information on policies and procedures.

Back to the top

Campus/Student Organization Events and Meeting Space Reservations Process

Student organizations must schedule all events both on and off-campus and reserve on campus facilities through the Office of Student Engagement. Student organizations wishing to schedule a meeting or event should meet with a member of the Student Engagement staff who will review the meeting/event request. At the meeting, the Student Engagement staff will consult the master programming calendar for other events/meetings in the same timeframe and research available rooms. Organiza- tion officers should come prepared to discuss specifics of the program/meeting including room diagrams (set-up), technical needs, food needs, etc. Catering for campus-wide student events must be provided by Hood Dining Services. See the Student Organizations handbook for details on catering food at student organization meetings and events. Once the event is scheduled and placed on the master programming calendar through the Office of Student Engagement, a member of the staff will confirm the room reservation with the Conference Services Office and follow up with the student organization officer.

Back to the top

Changing Commuter Status

Students with commuter status wishing to change their status to resident will need to contact in writing the Director of Residence Life and Student Conduct. For the upcoming fall semester’s room selection process, the commuter student would need to contact the Director no later than the end of January to receive priority in the room selection process. Applications will be accepted thereafter on a space available basis.

Back to the top

Changing Resident Status

Students with resident status who are required to be residential students shall not be permitted to change their status to commuter. For students where the Residency Requirement is not applicable (i.e., during the junior and senior years after the Residency Requirement has been fulfilled), will have the option of entering into a housing contract. Those not entering a housing contract will have their status changed to commuter. Those entering into a housing contract must live on campus, and are not permitted to change their status to commuter. The exception to this is if there has been a substantial financial hardship which was unknown at the time of entering into the housing contract, or if exigent circumstances exist which are extreme warranting the necessity of living off campus. The student would need to complete documentation with the Director of Residence Life and Student Conduct and be approved in order to be released from the housing contract. It is very rare to be released to live off campus if a student falls under the Residency Requirement or once a student has submitted a housing contract; those that are ultimately approved must pay a $500 contract cancellation fee.

Back to the top

Charity Donation Drives

To schedule a Charity Donation Drive, the responsible student organization officer should contact the Office of Student Engagement by phone (301-696-3575) or in person in the Student Life Suite. The organization officer is responsible for completing a Charity Donation Drive Form and scheduling a meeting with a Student Engagement staff member to discuss the specifics of the donation drive. The form must be complet- ed at least two weeks prior to the start of the drive and should be brought to the planning meeting.

Only one Charity Donation Drive may occur at any given time and cannot last longer than two weeks. The Office of Student Engagement will place designated bins, labeled with the specifics of the drive, in each residence hall and the Whitaker Campus Center. The Student Organization bears the responsibility for the items donated and must monitor and empty the bins if they become full before the Charity Drive ends. Bins must be returned to the Student Life Suite the day after the Charity Donation Drive ends.

Charity Donation Drives conducted without prior approval of the Office of Student Engagement or without appropriate signage and use of the designated bins will be immediately terminated. The Office of Student Engagement reserves the right to deny approval of or end any Charity Donation Drive based on items to be collected, dates of fundraiser, or questionable organization investment/activity. If the Student Organization fails to follow these regulations set forth by the Office of Student En- gagement, they may jeopardize their ability to hold Charity Drives in the future.

Back to the top

Class Absence

The Dean of Student’s Office should be notified and provided with appropriate documentation when a student is unable to attend classes due to serious illness or an emergency situation. If assistance is needed in making arrangements to leave campus, the Dean of Students should be contacted at (301) 696-3573. The Dean of Students may, as a courtesy, notify the student’s professors, adviser and campus em- ployment supervisor that the student is absent and will give, when known, the estimated date of return to campus. The student will be responsible for contacting professors, determining class status and making arrangements for completing coursework. When a student is admitted to the hospital or sent home for medical reasons, the Wellness Center staff will notify the Dean of Students. In case of minor illness, and with the express prior permission of the student, the staff member will verify for an instructor that the student has been seen at the Wellness Center, but no other information about diagnosis or treatment will be provided. For situations requiring an extended absence, students should refer to the Leave of Absence section of Handbook.

Back to the top

Dean's Probation

The Vice President for Student Life and Dean of Students and the Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs and their respective designees have the authority to suspend or place a student on Dean’s Probation for violation of any College policy or regulation. The terms of the probation or suspension are at the discretion of the Dean of Students or the Provost (or their respective designees).

Disciplinary Probation

Members of the student life team and duly constituted College judicial boards may place a student on Disciplinary Probation for violation of any College regulation adju- dicated by the staff member or board. Disciplinary Probation signifies that further violation of College policy while the probation is in effect may result in sanctions which are increased in severity from what is typical in a given situation. Such in- creased sanctions may include extension of probation, loss of College housing (tem- porarily or permanently), additional or increased educational sanctions, forced relocation, suspension, and/or expulsion from the institution.

Back to the top

Nondiscrimination Notice for Prospective Students, Faculty and Staff

Hood College does not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identification, marital status, pregnancy, disability, religion, age, or any other protected classification under applicable federal, state, or local law, in recruitment, admission and access to, or treatment, or employment in its programs, services, benefits, or activities as required by Title IX of the Educational Amendments of 1972, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, Title VI and VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, the Age Discrimination Act, the Americans with Disabilities Act Amendments Act, and their implementing regulations.

Hood College complies with applicable laws regarding reasonable accommodation for disabled students and employees. Applicants requiring reasonable accommoda- tion in order to participate in the application process or to have access to a program, service, or activity of Hood College are requested to contact the Disability Services Coordinator.

The following people have been designated to handle inquiries regarding the non- discrimination policies:

Carol M. Wuenschel, Executive Director for Human Resources

Equal Employment Officer/Title IX and Section 504 Coordinator

Alumnae Hall - Room 312, 401 Rosemont Avenue, Frederick, MD 21701


Travis Eichelberger, Director of Diversity and Inclusion

Whitaker Campus Center/Student Life Suite, 401 Rosemont Avenue, Frederick, MD 21701


Molly O’Brien, Head Women’s Lacrosse Coach/Title IX Resource for Athletics

Athletic Center, 401 Rosemont Avenue, Frederick, MD 21701


Lauren Reis, Disability Services Coordinator

Section 504 Resource for Student Services

Rosenstock Hall/CAAR - Room 322, 401 Rosemont Avenue, Frederick, MD 21701


Back to the top

Emergency Procedures

In the case of an emergency in a campus residence, observe the following measures:

If time permits, refer to the Campus Safety and Security Guidebook for detailed information and guidance, otherwise:

  1. Remain calm.
  2. Call the Communications Center by dialing “0” from a campus phone or 301-696-3548 from your cell phone, and a security staff member will notify the proper authorities of the emergency. For an emergency, dial X 3111 from any campus phone or 301-696-3111 from your cell phone.
  3. Contact a residence hall staff member and inform her or him of the situation.
  4. Campus Safety Officers can also be reached by using a desk or other campus phone. The emergency number is X 3111 or 301-696-3111 from a non-campus phone.

Back to the top

Fees and Finances

Information on tuition and fees for the academic year can be found on the Accounting page of the College’s website or by contacting the Accounting Office at 301-696-3607.

Payment in full of all financial obligations to the College must be made before a student may register for any academic semester. Unpaid balances at the end of each month are subject to late fees.

By registering for classes, the student agrees that in the event the student becomes delinquent or defaults in paying charges due to Hood College, the student agrees to reimburse Hood College the fees of any collection agency, which may be based on a percentage at a maximum of 33 1/3% of the debt, and all cost and expenses, including reasonable attorney’s fees, Hood College incurs in such collection efforts.

Students who withdraw from the College or from a course may be eligible for a refund based on the refund policies found in the Undergraduate Academic Policies section of Hood’s Academic Catalog.

If a student withdraws from the College, he or she is required to complete a With- drawal from the College form, participate in an Exit Interview and return any room keys that have been assigned. All financial obligations to the College must be paid in order for transcripts to be released.

All financial obligations must be settled before a student may receive a diploma or have grades and transcripts released. Failure to pay any outstanding financial obligaions, (i.e., tuition or fees, library fines, laboratory fees, parking fines or fines related to disciplinary sanctions) by the advertised deadline for fall or spring semester matriculation will affect a student’s right to return to the residence halls or to pre- register for classes.

Back to the top

Financial Aid Policies and Procedures

Application Process: Five Basic Steps to Apply for Financial Aid

  • 1. Complete the Hood College Financial Aid Form and return the form to the Office of Financial Aid (incoming first year and traditional-age transfers do not need to complete this application).
  • 2. Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) online at FAFSA. Hood College’s School Code is 002076.
  • 3. Read and review your Student Aid Report (SAR).Make any necessary corrections and submit the corrections to the Department of Education. The SAR is produced by the Department of Education after they process your FAFSA.
  • 4. If Hood College Office of Financial Aid needs additionald ocumentationto process your FAFSA, in addition to noting it on your Self Service account, they will contact you via U.S. Mail.
  • 5. Sign and return your initial award letter and,ifapplicable, your promissory note in a timely fashion.

Priority Application Date: February 15 (October 15 for students starting in the spring) Students who file the FAFSA and submit the Financial Aid Form after the priority date are considered for need-based aid after those students who meet the priority date. Late applicants who have not been awarded financial aid by the tuition payment due date should pay their tuition in full. If eligible for aid, you will be reimbursed based on the dollar amount of your award.

Hood College Offers a Variety of Programs to Help Meet Your Needs

A variety of financial aid programs to suit your needs—from grants and scholarships (which do not require repayment) to loans (which must be repaid) to work-study pro- grams are available. A number of factors determine your eligibility for these pro- grams, one of which is your financial need as defined by the Department of Education on your FAFSA.

Grants and Scholarships

All institutional scholarships are awarded at the time of admission. Students do not need to demonstrate financial need to be considered for a merit scholarship. Institu- tional scholarships are limited to eight semesters of full-time enrollment. Students must complete 31 credits per academic year in order to complete their degree in four years. Students completing only 24 credit hours per academic year may need addi- tional semesters of undergraduate study in order to graduate and will not be eligible for Hood scholarships and grants beyond eight semesters.

Hood grants and scholarships cannot exceed tuition and fees (and room and board for residential students).

Federal Pell Grants—A federal need-based grant for high-need, undergraduate students. Annual awards may range up to $5775 depending on need; prorated awards may be made to eligible part-time students. Students must be pursuing their first baccalaureate degree to receive a Federal Pell Grant.

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG)—A federal need-based grant for high-need, Pell-eligible undergraduates. The amount of the award varies depending on the availability of funds allocated by the Department of Education.

Hood Grant—An institutional need-based grant available to full-time students.

Maryland State Scholarships and Grants—Each scholarship/grant has its own unique criteria. Multiple Maryland State Scholarship/Grants are available for Maryland residents. Students must complete the FAFSA no later than March 1.

For more information about scholarships through the State of Maryland, contact the Maryland State Office of Student Financial Assistance at 800-974-0203 or visit Maryland Higher Education Commission.

Loan Programs

Federal Direct Loan Program—The William D. Ford Federal Direct Loan Program is for undergraduate and graduate students. Undergraduates qualify for both subsidized (need based) and unsubsidized (non-need based) loans. Graduate students are only eligible for unsubsidized (non-need based) loans. For unsubsidized loans, the interest begins to accrue when the loan disburses; for subsidized loans, the interest accrues when repayment begins (six months after leaving school or going below half-time enrollment). To apply for Federal Direct Loans, students must complete the FAFSA. For more information, contact Hood’s Office of Financial Aid.

Work-Study Programs

Federal Work Study Program—This federally funded employment program enables eligible undergraduate students to earn money for personal expenses while gaining practical experience.

Campus Employment—Awarded to students who are not eligible for federal work-study. Funded and administered by Hood College, a limited number of positions are available.

For more information regarding the work-study programs, please contact the Office of Financial Aid.

Need-Based Aid Requirements

To be eligible for need-based aid, including subsidized and unsubsidized student loans, you must:

  • Complete the institutional financial aid application
  • Have a high school diploma or equivalency
  • Be working toward a degree
  • Be a U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen
  • Be registered with Selective Service, if applicable
  • Be making satisfactory academic progress
  • Not owe a refund on a federal grant
  • Not be in default on a federal educational loan
  • Have a valid Social Security Number

Processing Your Application

Applications are processed on a first-come, first-serve basis. Students who file a FAFSA are automatically considered for all grant and loan programs.

Financial aid awards are made in accordance with two criteria: demonstrated financial need and availability of funds. Need for financial aid is determined by the following calculation: cost of attendance minus expected family contribution (EFC) equals need. Cost of attendance includes both the direct cost of education (such as tuition, fees and room and board) and the indirect costs (such as allowances for transportation, books and personal expenses). The expected family contribution is calculated according to the federal formula by the U.S. Department of Education based on information provided in your FAFSA. Completing the FAFSA ensures that your family contribution is calculated and reported on the Student Aid Report (SAR).

Upon receipt of your FAFSA results, the Office of Financial Aid determines if verification is required. If your file is selected for verification, either by the federal processor or by Hood College, you will be required to submit to the Office of Financial Aid a copy of your tax return and any additional tax return transcript documentation as needed. You may be eligible to utilized the IRS Data Retrieval 7001 in your FAFSA to transmit the ta information electronically. You can log into the FAFSA website for further information.

The composition of a financial aid award package depends on the extent of need, program regulations, outside aid, availability of funds and file completion date. A continuing student will not receive a financial aid award until his or her financial aid file is complete. A student’s financial aid package will never exceed the College’s published cost of attendance. Financial aid may be offered in the form of grants, scholarships, loans, or campus employment.

Review of Your File

Completed files are reviewed on a first-come, first-serve basis. A financial aid file is considered complete only after the following information or documents have been received:

  • Completed Hood College Financial Aid Form (for continuing students);
  • A valid Student Aid Report; and
  • Any additional documents, if required.

Award Letters

After the review of your financial aid file is complete, the Office of Financial Aid will mail an award letter to you along with a “Conditions of Awards” brochure. Read the brochure carefully to understand the conditions of your award. Then sign and return the award letter to the Office of Financial Aid.

Loan Requirements (For Borrowers Only)

Students borrowing through the Federal Direct Loan Program for the first time at Hood College are required to complete Students Loan entrance counseling and a Master Promissory Note (MPN), which is available online at Federal Student Aid. Returning students who borrowed money previously should have a valid MPN on file and should not be required to complete another one. The MPN is a legal and binding document that promises your repayment of the loan. It has no singular amount as- sociated with it as it is designed to cover ten (10) years of borrowing. Please note: To have your student loan credited to your account, you must electronically complete your entrance counseling and MPN. Students are encouraged to complete this process prior to June 1.

Disbursement of Aid

Financial aid is applied directly to your student account when the file is complete or 10 days before the first day of class, whichever is later.

Refunds of federal financial aid funds are processed within 14 days of disbursement or 14 days after the first day of the term. If you participate in Campus Employment, you will receive a check bi-weekly from the Accounting Office; the number of hours worked determines the amount of pay.

Federal regulations require that aid is disbursed equally. If you have a loan for fall through spring, half of the loan amount disburses in the fall and the remaining half disburses in the spring.

Loans for a given enrollment period must be originated no later than the last day of your enrollment period. You must be enrolled for at least half-time (6 credits for undergraduate or 3 credits for graduate students) for loan funds to be disbursed.

Enrollment Adjustments

Enrollment is verified at the end of the College’s drop/add period. Financial aid awards are reviewed, and adjusted, to ensure the amount of aid matches the amount of credits in which you are enrolled.

Undergraduate Requirements for Study Away at Another School

(Study Away, non-Hood College Programs)

If you take courses through another institution while pursing your degree at Hood, you may be eligible to receive federal funds for the course(s); however, the courses must be approved for your degree program. For more information, please contact the Office of Financial Aid.

Undergraduate Requirements for Study Abroad

Students who are interested in studying abroad must complete a petition to study abroad and submit it to the Registrar’s Office for approval. Information on study abroad programs is available through the Study Abroad Office. Students who study abroad may be eligible to use Hood College funds, as well as federal and state funds to study abroad. Hood College funds apply only to a few programs of study and to help offset the tuition associated with the study abroad program. For more information, please contact the Office of Financial Aid.

Satisfactory Academic Progress

Federal regulations require students receiving financial aid to maintain satisfactory academic progress toward their degrees. The Office of Financial Aid evaluates SAP at the end of spring semester. If you fail to meet the minimum requirements, you will be placed on financial aid suspension and financial aid will not be disbursed. The appeal process and Satisfactory Academic Progress policy for financial aid students are available from the Office of Financial Aid, the College Catalog and on the Hood College Website under Financial Aid. The policy is also mailed with each award letter in the Conditions of Award brochure.

Withdrawl-Federal Return of Funds Policy

Students receiving financial aid have the responsibility to follow the College’s withdrawal procedures as outlined in the Hood College catalog. Students who wish to rescind their official withdrawal submitted to the College must do so within one week of the original withdrawal and notification must be provided in writing to the Office of Financial Aid.

The 1998 Reauthorization of the Higher Education Act requires the College to calculate a Return of Title IV Funds on all federal financial aid students who withdraw (offi- cially or unofficially) from all classes on or before the 60 percent attendance point of the semester. A pro rata schedule is used to determine the percentage of the semes- ter the student attended based on the withdrawal date or last date of attendance.

The percentage of the semester the student attended is calculated based on: num- ber of days in attendance and number of days in semester.

The number of days counted includes all calendar days in the semester including weekends and holidays, but excludes College breaks of five or more days.

The percentage of the semester the student attended is used to calculate the amount of earned versus unearned federal aid funds. The College is responsible for returning the lesser of Unearned Title IV Aid or unearned institutional charges. Un- earned institutional charges are based on the determined percentage of the semes- ter the student did not attend. The College is responsible for its return of funds first, followed by the student’s return of funds.

The College must return its portion of Unearned Title IV aid (loan and grant) to the appropriate federal program within 30 days from the student’s withdrawal date as determined by the Office of Financial Aid. If the amount the student returns includes a federal loan, the student is responsible for repayment of the loan in accordance with the terms of the loan program. If the amount the student returns includes grant aid, the student must repay 50 percent of the grant money received, rather than 100 percent.

The student must return unearned grant aid to the College within 45 days from the date of notification. Failure by the student to return or arrange to return unearned grant aid to the College within 45 days will result in the student being reported to the U.S. Department of Education (USDOE). The student will be considered in an over- payment status and will not be eligible for additional aid at any post-secondary insti- tution participating in Title IV Aid programs. Students who are reported to USDOE in an overpayment status should contact the USDOE to make payment arrangements to repay the necessary grant funds.

If you withdraw from classes, you may not receive further financial aid disburse- ments, may lose some or all of the aid that has already been disbursed to your ac- count, may be responsible for repayment of unpaid charges, and may be considered in overpayment status with USDOE.

If you stop attending all your classes without officially withdrawing, you will be subject to return of funds at the end of the semester based on your last documented date of attendance as determined by Hood College or on a 50 percent attendance rate.

Students who start attending classes and then take an official leave of absence within the semester are required to be considered withdrawn for purposes of returning unearned aid to the federal government. Students on an official leave of absence will be reported to their lenders as not enrolled.

Examples of Federal Title IV Return of Funds calculation and more details about the regulation are available in the Office of Financial Aid.

Summer School

Students interested in attending Hood College during the summer sessions may be eligible for financial aid. Please contact the Office of Financial Aid by April 15 if you are interested in attending classes during the summer sessions.

Other Campus Aid Programs

Federal PLUS Loan—Parents may borrow up to the cost of education, minus any financial aid received, for each dependent undergraduate student. Interest begins to accrue when the first payment is disbursed. Repayment on principle and interest begins when the loan is fully disbursed.

Private Payment Plan—A monthly payment plan that allows families to budget educational expenses over a specified period of time. For more information, please contact the Accounting Office.

Scholarship Renewal Criteria:

Hodson Trust Academic Scholarship—Automatic renewal requires a G.P.A. of 3.1 for the first year, 3.2 for the sophomore year and a 3.3 for the junior year.

Presidential Scholarship—Automatic renewal requires a G.P.A. of 2.75 after first year, 2.85 after sophomore year, and 3.0 after junior year.

Students who do not achieve the required G.P.A. for automatic renewal will have their scholarship replaced with the next lower scholarship.

Trustee Scholarship—Automatic renewal requires a G.P.A. of 2.6 after first year, 2.75 after sophomore year, and 2.85 after junior year.

Your Rights and Responsibilities - If You Receive Aid

Any change in your family financial situation, address or school enrollment must be reported to the Office of Financial Aid. You have the right to request a review of your financial aid package when a change in family or personal circumstances might reflect a change in your total award. You may review your financial aid records by appointment. For a complete list of your student consumer rights and responsibilities when receiving or applying for financial aid, refer to the Student Guide from the U.S. Department of Education.


Undergraduate students who plan to earn two degrees from Hood College by completing a fifth year at the College will be eligible for financial assistance only in the form of loans after the receipt of the first degree.

Back to the top

Fire Safety Procedures

Hood College observes fire and safety precautions and expects students to participate actively in maintaining a safe environment. See Fire Safety in Appendix A: Code of Conduct for policies related to fire safety.

Access in Case of Emergency

Entrances, driveways and halls must be free of obstacles. Activities that may endanger the safety of students are not permitted, including jamming the elevators and tying doors to rooms in such a way that they cannot be opened.

Smoke Detectors in Student Rooms

Student rooms in the five large residence halls are equipped with individual smoke detectors. Smoke detectors are not to be obstructed or removed for any reason. When a detector is activated by smoke in the room, it will sound an alarm in the individual room only, with the exception of those rooms located in Coblentz Hall, Smith Hall and Memorial Hall which are monitored by the fire alarm systems. The smoke detectors in the remaining Resident Hall dorm rooms are not tied into the building’s alarm system; therefore, they will not activate the building fire alarm to evacuate the building.

If a smoke detector that is not monitored by the fire alarm system is accidentally activated it can be shut off automatically by opening a window and clearing the smoke from the room. Do not open the door of the room to clear the smoke into the hallway because the hallway detector may then be activated. Tampering with a smoke detector or fire alarm system is not permitted and will result in a fine. Problems with smoke detectors should be reported to the Department of Campus Safety and Security.

Smoke Detectors in Hallways, Common Areas & Language Houses

These detectors are connected to the main building alarm system. When a detector is activated, the main building fire alarm will sound to evacuate the entire building. If a smoke detector is accidentally activated (by burning something in the kitchen, for example), students must evacuate the building. Once a building alarm has been activated, it can only be silenced and reset by a Campus Safety Officer. Tampering with a smoke detector or fire alarm system is not permitted and will result in a fine.

Pull Stations

If a fire is discovered, the pull station should be activated, generally done by pulling down on the handle; specific instructions can be found at each pull station. Fire extinguishers should be used to extinguish a small, contained fire only after the building alarm has been sounded.

Fire Doors

Stairway fire doors are the only means of escape during a fire and must be kept closed at all times. Elevators should not be used. The stairway will provide a place of refuge and will protect persons while escaping from the building. It is crucial that these doors remain closed; leaving the fire doors open allows the stairway to act as a chimney, spreading the fire and smoke rapidly throughout the building.

Annunciator Panel

Whenever a building alarm is sounded in any residential building on campus, the Communications Center is automatically notified. It is normal procedure for the Communications Center to then call Central Alarm (fire department) and the Campus Safety officers on duty. No fire alarm system in any residential building on campus is hooked directly to the fire department.

Fire Drills

Fire drills will be conducted in both residential and academic buildings. Fire drills may be announced or unannounced. The Department of Campus Safety and Security will notify faculty and residential students concerning announced drills. All fire drills should be taken seriously. If the fire alarm sounds, the building should be evacuated. Faculty members are responsible for the students in their classes at the time of the evacuation. Faculty members should assemble their classes at least 100 feet away from the building. Each class should exit through the closest exit door. If there are handicapped students in a class, the faculty member should designate two students to assist that person in getting out safely.

Staff members who work in common areas where no formal classes are held should leave through the closest exit door. Senior staff members in each area should check to ensure that all persons in her or his area evacuate promptly and safely. Each residence hall and language house will have two fire drills each semester, one announced and one unannounced. All residents must evacuate the building and move to a position at least 100 feet from the building. Failure to evacuate will result in a fine.

Announced Fire Drills and Safety Drills/Training

One announced fire drill in each residence hall will be scheduled at the beginning of the academic year to allow students to familiarize themselves with the proper evacuation routes and procedures. If there are questions about evacuation routes, the Residence Life Area Coordinator/Assistant Director should be contacted. Failure to evacuate will result in a fine. There may be additional safety drills and training provided which will be announced.

Unannounced Fire Drills and Safety Drills/Training

In accordance with Maryland State Law and Hood College policy, the Department of Campus Safety and Security will conduct several unannounced fire drills in each residence hall and language house. Only the Residence Life Area Coordinator and Head Resident Assistant should know the dates and times of the unannounced drills.

If at any time during the year a student is ill enough to be bedridden, is on medication that may impair her or his ability to evacuate the building safely or is on crutches, the Residence Life Area Coordinator or Head Resident Assistant should be notified immediately. This notification will enable her or him to get the student assistance in the case of an emergency. She or he may also excuse a student during an unannounced fire drill.

Please note: It is a violation of Maryland State Law to remain in a building during a fire drill unless the student has been excused by proper authorities, such as the Residence Life Area Coordinator. Failure to evacuate will result in a fine. In addition, there may be additional safety drills and training which are unannounced.

Building Evacuation Procedures

When an alarm is sounded, always assume the alarm indicates an emergency and evacuate the building to the predetermined location. Never assume that the evacuation is only a drill.

If you are in a room when the fire alarm sounds:

  • If there is smoke in the room, remain low to the floor. If you are in bed, roll from your bed to the floor. Fresher air will be close to the ground and smoke will rise.
  • Before opening any door, touch the door and the doorknob to see if they are hot.

If either is hot, do not open the door. If the knob is not hot, brace yourself against the door and open it slightly. If heat or smoke is present, close the door and stay in the room.

If you are trapped in a room, don’t panic! Open the top of your window to let the heat and smoke out, and open the bottom of your window to let fresh air in. Hang a large object, such as a sheet or jacket, out of the window to attract attention. If you are able, call the Communications Center at (301) 696-3111 (x3111) from campus phones) or dial 911. Give them your exact location. Let them hang up first!

If you can leave the room, use the buddy system:

  • As you walk to the nearest exit (evacuation routes are posted in each hall), check as many rooms as you safely can to make sure everyone else can safely leave the building.
  • Make sure someone checks showers and bathrooms.
  • If you are near the Red Phone, pick it up and notify the Communications Center of the location of the activated alarm and the cause of the alarm, if known. Leave the phone off the hook after you speak with the Communications Center. If you do not get an answer within a few seconds, leave the red phone off the hook and evacuate the building immediately.
  • If an exit is blocked, go to the alternate exit (posted on each floor). If the alternate exit is also blocked, go to the nearest room and follow procedures. See “If you are trapped in a room.”

Do not use the elevator in fire drills or real emergencies. If the building’s electrical system malfunctions, those in the elevator will be trapped inside; further, elevator shafts act as chimneys by spreading heat and smoke.

Back to the top

Fundraising Policies

All student organization fundraisers must be approved through the Office of Student Engagement. To plan a fundraiser, the responsible student organization officer should complete the fundraising form located outside of the Student Life Suite and schedule a meeting with a member the Student Engagement staff. Fundraisers that are similar in nature will not be approved to take place at the same time. Fundraisers are registered/approved on a first-come, first served basis. Student organizations must complete a Fundraising Form and obtain the approval and appropriate signatures from the Office of Student Engagement and Development Office before contacting off-campus businesses, groups, or individuals for donations of prize, money, food, etc. Organizations wishing to host a bake sale or food sampler must also obtain a permit from the Frederick Health Department. See the Student Organizations Handbook for specifics.

Organizations will receive notification if their fundraiser has been approved or denied. For specific information on Fundraising Policies, refer to the Student Organization Handbook, available in the Office of Student Engagement.

Back to the top


All gambling on campus is prohibited unless otherwise approved by College officials in accordance with Maryland law. Students in violation of this policy will face disciplinary sanctions by the College and/or state officials. If a Student Organization is in violation of this policy, the organization officers will be held responsible. See Appendix A: Code of Conduct.

Back to the top

Grade Eligibility for Student Organization Officers and Requirements for Student Participation in Clubs and Performance Organizations

Any student who is in a performance organization or publicly represents Hood College should have a 2.0 cumulative G.P.A. Performance organizations include, but are not limited to: Athletics, Hood Chamber Singers, Hood Choir, Hood Dance Ensemble, Hood Theatre, Orchestra, Gospel Ensemble, Wind Ensemble, etc. Officers of recognized student organizations should have a 2.0 cumulative Grade Point Average (G.P.A.). Officers include elected or appointed student leaders (i.e., President, Vice President, Treasurer, Secretary, etc.).

All new students are eligible to participate in activities and performance organizations during their first semester. However, for continued eligibility, students must achieve a cumulative G.P.A. of 2.0 or better.

General members within any club or organization may freely participate in programs and activities. Although a cumulative 2.0 G.P.A. is not required, members are strongly encouraged to maintain this minimal academic standing. General members are defined as members who attend meetings but hold no leadership position in the organization. It is important to note that annual achievement awards are often based on club participation, contributions and academic achievements.

Back to the top


Hazing is prohibited at Hood College and is, in many instances, a violation of Maryland State Law. Hazing is defined as any action that may coerce, endanger, abuse, degrade or intimidate a person physically, mentally, emotionally or psychologically regardless of the person’s consent or lack of consent. Hazing also may be defined as any action that is designed to, or produces mental or physical harassment, discomfort or ridicule. Hazing may also include a situation in which students are forced to participate in an activity that willfully destroys or removes public or private property for the purposes of affiliation, initiation, admission or continued membership in any organization. This could be connected to, but not limited to initiation into, or affiliation with any group or organization at Hood College, or any part of an official or unofficial College-sponsored event or tradition on- or off-College property.

Groups and officers of honor societies, student organizations or athletic teams may be held accountable for misconduct committed by individuals in the context of group membership.

Any College official or student has the responsibility to immediately cease and desist activities that threaten immediate harm to students. Examples of conduct which would violate this policy may include, but are not limited to:

  • Any activity that is designed to single out an individual, or produces mental or physical harassment, discomfort or ridicule;
  • All forms of physical activity not part of an organized, voluntary athletics contest or not specifically directed toward constructive work;
  • Any activity (including voluntary athletics contests and constructive work) that might reasonably bring harm to the individual;
  • Paddling, beating or otherwise permitting undergraduate or alumni members to hit other individuals, depriving individuals of the opportunity for sufficient sleep, decent and edible meals or access to means of maintaining bodily cleanliness;
  • Activities that interfere with an individual’s academic efforts by causing exhaustion, loss of sleep or loss of reasonable study time;
  • Requiring individuals to consume alcohol or drugs;
  • Forcing, coercing or permitting individuals to eat or drink foreign or unusual substances; and
  • Any requirement, which compels an individual to participate in any activity that is illegal, perverse, publicly indecent, contrary to the individual’s moral or religious beliefs or contrary to the Student Code of Conduct or policies and regulations of Hood College.

Violations of the Hazing Policy shall be reported to the Director of Campus Safety and Security, or Dean of Students, who will begin an investigation to determine responsibility and sanctions. Sanctions could range from educational sanctions to community service to suspension or separation from the College.

Back to the top

Inclement Weather

Decisions about delays and closings are generally made as inclement weather situations develop. Closing and delay information is broadcast on local radio stations, sent out on “Hood Alert” and posted at Hood College. To access a recording on the College’s main line, call (301) 663-3131 and press “9” to activate the announcement regarding a cancellation or delayed opening. If you cannot get to campus and classes have not been canceled, contact your professor or the academic department.

Back to the top

Injuries on Campus

If a student is injured on campus, he or she should report the injury to Campus Safety and Security and any other appropriate staff person (e.g., Athletic Director for Ath- letic Facilities, Area Coordinator or Resident Assistant for residence halls, etc.) The student should also seek medical treatment through the Wellness Center, as appropriate.

If the student is injured as part of a job on campus, the student should also report the injury to Human Resources so that appropriate paperwork can be filed.

Back to the top


Residential Student Keys

Residential students receive one room key each year. Proper care of the key ensures student safety within the residence hall. It is a violation of College policy to loan a key to an unauthorized user. Doing so will result in a fine and possible revocation of guest privileges. Continued policy infringement and endangerment of fellow students’ safety may result in residency privileges being revoked. See Appendix A: Code of Conduct.

There is a charge for replacement of a lost or stolen residential key. The current room key replacement fee can be accessed via Tuitions and Fees 2016-2017.

If a student locks him or herself out of his or her residence hall room, Campus Safety and Security can provide a let-in for that student. Let-ins carry a room access fee which is billed to the student’s account. See Tuitions and Fees 2016-2017 for the current room access fee.

Installation of personal locks or chains on doors is prohibited. For further information or room key regulations, please see Appendix A: Code of Conduct, Residence Life Policies.

Commuter Locker Keys

Commuter lockers are free of charge and available on a first come first serve basis for the period of one academic year or two summer sessions. Locker assignments and keys can be obtained from the Student Life Suite, located on the second floor of Whitaker Campus Center. Installation of personal locks on lockers is prohibited.

1. Lockers may be obtained at the beginning of each semester.
2. Lockers issued during the Fall and Spring semesters:

  • Must be cleaned out and the locker key returned no later than Spring Semester Reading Day, or immediately upon graduation or transfer.
  • Will be cleaned out on Spring Semester Reading Day and any remaining contents in lockers will be disposed of.

3. Lockers issued during the Summer Sessions:

  • Must be cleaned out and the locker key returned no later than the last day of Summer Session II, or immediately upon graduation or transfer.
  • Will be cleaned out after Summer Session II courses end and any remaining contents in lockers will be disposed of.

Failure to return a locker key will result in a charge of $100 to your Hood College account. Replacement of lost or stolen keys is also $100, to be charged to your Hood College account.

Back to the top

Leave of Absence

Emergency Leave of Absence (ELOA)

A student may be granted an Emergency Leave of Absence (ELOA) for a period not to exceed two consecutive weeks within an academic semester. A request for an emergency leave of absence must be supported with appropriate documentation which is required before the leave is approved. Requests for an emergency leave of absence will be reviewed and approved by the Dean of Students and communicated to the Registrar’s Office for a specified period of time.

An emergency leave of absence applies to students who must be absent for mental or physical health reasons, military commitments, international travel/documentation or any other personal or family emergency.

Students who require an emergency leave of absence beyond the two week period will be withdrawn from the semester. Failure to attend classes by the return date specified on the emergency leave of absence form will result in an automatic administrative withdrawal from the College.

Students are asked to consult with appropriate offices/personnel in processing an emergency leave of absence. Such consultations may include conversations with Financial Aid, Residence Life, , International Student Services, Dining Services, ROTC, and the academic adviser.

An Emergency Leave of Absence (ELOA) Form may only be obtained from the Dean of Students Office.

Leave of Absenc (LOA)

Students who need to be away from the College for one or two semesters, but who wish to maintain ties to the College and to resume their studies at a later time, may take a leave of absence instead of withdrawing. Students who do not return from a leave of absence after two semesters will be withdrawn. Students may not request a leave of absence for the remainder of the currently enrolled semester without the written permission of the Dean of Students. Leave of absence forms are available in the Office of the Registrar.

Students do not file a leave of absence form in order to study abroad or at another institution in the U.S. Instead, they must file a petition with the Committee on Academic Standards and Policies for approval for study elsewhere.

Voluntary Leave

A student who is experiencing mental or physical difficulties that seriously restrict his or her ability to function may elect to take a leave of absence from the College.

Please see Emergency Leave of Absence (ELOA) and Leave of Absence (LOA) information above to determine the appropriate process to follow. Wellness Center (Health and Counseling Services) staff members are available to assist students, to assess the situation and to make decisions about the level of care needed. They will provide referral information and supportive services to the student until she/he leaves campus. A Leave of Absence is officially arranged through the Registrar’s Office. Students should contact the Office of the Dean of Students to request and arrange for an Emergency Leave of Absence.

Involuntary Leave

The Wellness Center staff can assist students in dealing with mental, physical or behavioral problems so that they may continue to function effectively and meet their academic and personal responsibilities. A student who, because of these problems, causes significant disruption to the orderly operation of the College or any portion of the campus community (which may include, but is not limited to a student who endangers her or his safety and welfare or the welfare of other students, who seriously infringes on the rights of other students, whose academic progress is seriously impeded or who is incapable of self-care), may be placed on involuntary leave.

Staff, faculty or administrators may notify the Dean of Students when they have concerns about a student’s ability to meet her or his campus responsibilities. The Dean may then require that the student be evaluated by a member of the Wellness Center staff who will assess, in cooperation with the student whenever possible, the extent to which she or he is able to continue to meet academic and personal commitments at Hood without disruption. If, on recommendation of the evaluating staff, the Dean of Students places a student on involuntary leave of absence, a family member or other person authorized to assume care of the student will be notified. If appropriate, the student may be required to leave campus. During required leave, the Dean of Students regulates interaction between the student and the campus community.

A student may also be placed on involuntary leave by the Vice President for Student Life and Dean of Students or the Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs (or respective designees granted such authority) if it is determined that the student’s behavior is in violation of College policies. Under this sanction, if a student is placed on involuntary leave or suspended, the student will be required to submit appropriate documentation before reinstatement will be considered. During the time a student is on involuntary leave or suspended, he/she is not permitted to attend campus programs and/or activities without prior approval from the administrator providing the sanction.

Reinstatement Following Leave

The Dean of Students may establish conditions for a student’s return to campus, including documenting that the issue(s) or condition(s) which led to the student being placed on leave has been resolved satisfactorily or that a plan is in place that would allow the student to resume studies. Documentation from the professional(s) providing treatment during the student’s absence from campus should be sent directly to the Director of the Counseling Center, Director of the Health Center, or Dean of Students. Depending on the situation, a member of the Wellness Center staff may be able to evaluate the student’s readiness to return to campus. Continuation of treatment may be required as a condition of return to campus if the professional(s) considers follow-up treatment necessary to the student’s ability to function on campus without causing disruption. If it is determined that the student would likely benefit from continued care, a recommendation from the Wellness Center will be sent to the Dean of Students.

Other Related Conditions of Enrollment

When notified by members of the College community about concerns related to a student’s ability to meet academic and personal responsibilities, the Dean of Students may require that an outside provider or member of the Wellness Center staff evaluate the student.

If, upon evaluation by one of those persons, it is determined that a problem exists which requires treatment, the Wellness Center staff, in cooperation with the student whenever possible, may recommend to the Dean of Students that certain conditions be established in order for the student to remain on campus. Final determination of such conditions and their enforcement rests with the Dean of Students.

Back to the top

Maintenance Emergencies

For maintenance emergencies during normal business hours, please contact Facilities Services at (301) 696-3452 (x3452 from a campus phone). After hours, please contact the Campus Safety and Security Communications Center at (301) 663-3131 (“0” from a campus phone). The Communications Center will contact the appropriate Facilities personnel.

For information on blood-borne or airborne pathogens, please see Hood College Staff Manual Section 906-Bloodborne and Airborne Pathogens.

Back to the top

Medical Emergencies

Please see Wellness Center (Health and Counseling Services) listing under Services.

Back to the top

Missing Persons

Students are urged to let their roommates and friends know of their whereabouts if they leave campus, town, or the area. If you suspect that a person is missing you must alert college officials. If a student cannot be located or contacted you must alert the Department of Campus Safety and Security and the Office of the Dean of Students. It is not necessary to wait 24 hours, you may report a student missing whenever you feel the need or as circumstances warrant. The Department of Campus Safety and Security will then conduct an investigation to locate and/or contact the student and her/his family, or registered contact, if necessary.

The Department of Campus Safety and Security will contact the necessary law enforcement agencies as appropriate but no longer than 24 hours after the student or person has been reported missing and still cannot be located. Safety officers depending on circumstances may immediately notify police as needed.

Students can register confidential contact information with the Department of Campus Safety and Security during the Student Identification Card Process or at any time of the year, day or night, with the Office of Campus Safety and Security’s Communications Center behind the Whitaker Information Desk. Residential students, if they choose, may even check in and confidentially advise Campus Safety and Security that they will be off campus and returning at a later specified time.

If the investigation by Campus Safety and Security indicates that the student has been missing for more than 24 hours, or the circumstances require immediate action, either:

  • Inform the student’s registered contact and, if the student is under 18 years of age and not an emancipated individual, immediately contact the student’s custodial parent or legal guardian, or
  • For students who (1) are not under 18 or are emancipated, and (2) registered no contact; inform the appropriate law enforcement agency.

Back to the top

Pet Policies

Hood College respects the Frederick County leash laws. For the protection of pets, owners and the campus community, pet owners must be in control of their pets at all times and are responsible for removing droppings left by their pets through the use of scoopers, shovels, bags, etc. Pets are not allowed in academic or administrative buildings, except for service animals.

Pets (including therapy animals) within residential facilities are subject to the regulations of the Code of Conduct; see Appendix A: Code of Conduct. Professional livein/on staff members who reside in designated staff accommodations must abide by the applicable policy for pets within staff housing.

Typically, Campus Safety officers will warn pet owners or the person(s) responsible for the animal if violations occur outside a residential facility, but a fine may be given or the violation may be referred to the Student Conduct System (See Appendix A: Code of Conduct). A fine or Trespass Notice barring the owner, pet or both from campus will be issued to the pet owner or responsible person(s) for subsequent violations.

Back to the top

Posting Policy

All posting of flyers advertising events or information must adhere to the guidelines set forth by the Office of Student Engagement. Any flyers failing to meet the requirements shall be removed by the administration. Flyers/postings must be specific to an approved event. Updated guidelines can be found in the Student Organization Handbook. Each flyer must contain the following information:

  • Student organization name or nickname
  • Email contact information for the individual organizing the event
  • Event title, time, date, location

Flyers may not be posted on the following locations:

  • Any trees on campus
  • Exterior doors and walls of residence halls
  • Glass
  • The doors of the Whitaker Campus Center (including the glass and wood)
  • Academic buildings or bulletin boards without prior approval of the appropriate department
  • Hodson Science and Technology building, except on approved bulletin boards.

Flyers must be posted ONLY on designated bulletin boards with staples or thumb tacks.

Because the Pergola is traditionally a place of unity and peace, flyers posted in the Pergola must be advertising an upcoming event sponsored by a recognized student organization. Flyers simply containing information to educate the Hood College community cannot be placed in the Pergola.

Flyers brought to the Office of Student Engagement by 10:00 a.m. Monday through Friday will be posted within three days.

Back to the top

Prevention and Resolution of Harassment, Discrimination, and Sexual Misconduct (Policy 55)

Hood College is an academic community whose members are expected to treat one another with decency, consideration and respect. Policy 55 has been developed to address issues of harassment, discrimination, and sexual misconduct. Harassment, discrimination, and sexual misconduct, as defined below, may be illegal, and are violations of College policy as well as affronts to the values that sustain our lives together (Policy 55). Further, some bullying behavior may constitute harassment, while any bullying behavior exhibited at Hood College, regardless of whether it qualifies as harassment, is prohibited. A copy of Policy 55, to which all members of the Hood Community are accountable, can be found on the Human Resources pages of the Hood College Web site at: Policy 55.

For further information regarding the reporting and resolution procedures relating to sexual misconduct and delineated within Policy 55, please see the Sexual Misconduct, Sexual Violence and Relationship Violence Policy.


Harassment: Harassment is an attempt to demean, intimidate, or abuse another individual, or to create a hostile or offensive environment on the basis of another’s sex, race, color sexual orientation, gender identification, religion, age, disability, national origin or any classification currently protected under federal, state or local antidiscrimination statutes.

Bullying: A form of harassment that is a reckless or intentional attempt, whether by a single individual or a group, to demean, intimidate, or abuse another individual, or to create a hostile or offensive environment. Bullying is behavior which may include verbal, physical, or written conduct or intentional electronic communication, and may involve threats, assault, stalking, malicious destruction of, or tampering with, the personal property of the victim, or other methods of coercion. It may occur repeatedly over time, and if often characterized by an imbalance of power between the aggressor and the victim. Bullying creates a hostile environment by interfering with an individual’s opportunities, performance, or physical or psychological well-being. It is motivated by an actual or perceived personal characteristic (such as race, national origin, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression, religion, ancestry, physical attributes, socioeconomic status, familial status, or physical or mental ability or disability), and can substantially disrupt the orderly functioning of an institution.

Some examples of bullying are:

  • Physically abusing or threatening abuse, or intimidating a person
  • Unjustified monitoring of work or persistent criticism of work
  • Intruding on a person’s privacy by pestering, spying, or stalking
  • Verbal or non-verbal threats
  • Assigning unreasonable deadlines, duties, or workloads with are unfavorable to one person
  • Freezing out, ignoring or excluding an individual
  • Belittling a person’s appearance, actions, or opinions

Discrimination: Treating an individual differently from another individual with respect to the terms and conditions of her or his employment or student status, because of that individual’s sex, race, color, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, age, disability, national origin or any classification currently protected under federal, state or local anti-discrimination statutes.

Sexual Harassment: Behavior of a sexual or gender-based nature, including but not limited to, unwelcome sexual advances, requests for sexual favors and other inappropriate verbal, written or physical conduct of a sexual nature that takes place under any of the following circumstances:

  • When submission to such conduct is made, explicitly or implicitly, a term or condition of an individual’s employment or participation in an education program;
  • When submission to or rejection of such conduct by an individual is used by the offender as the basis for making personnel or educational decisions affecting the individual subject to sexual advances; or
  • When such conduct has the purpose or effect of unreasonably interfering with the individual’s work or academic performance or creating an intimidating, hostile or offensive work or educational environment, or that is sufficiently serious to deny or limit a student’s ability to participate in or benefit from the College’s programs, based on sex.

The following are examples of sexual harassment:

  • Unwelcome sexual advances. This includes patting, pinching, brushing up against, hugging, kissing, fondling or any other similar physical contact considered unwelcome by another individual;
  • Requests or demands for sexual favors. This includes subtle or blatant pressures or requests for sexual favors accompanied by an implied or stated promise of preferential treatment or negative consequence concerning one’s employment status, or educational evaluation or record;
  • Verbal abuse that is sexually oriented and considered unwelcome by another individual. This includes commenting about an individual’s body or appearance where such comments are beyond mere courtesy; telling “dirty jokes” that are clearly unwelcome and considered offensive by others or any other tasteless, sexually oriented comments, innuendoes or actions that offend others;
  • Engaging in sexually oriented conduct that would unreasonably interfere with another’s academic or work performance. This includes the extension of unwanted sexual attention to someone that reduces their personal productivity or time available to work at assigned tasks; or
  • Creating a work or learning environment that is intimidating, hostile or offensive because of unwelcome sexually oriented conversations, suggestions, requests, demands or physical conduct.

Sexual Misconduct: A broad term that encompasses sexual violence, nonconsensual sexual contact, sexual harassment, sexual assault, sexual exploitation, sexual intimidation, and relationship violence.

  • Sexual misconduct can occur between strangers or acquaintances, including people involved in an intimate sexual relationship. Sexual misconduct can be committed by persons of any sex, gender identification or expression, and can occur between people of the same or different sex or gender identification or expression.
  • Sexual misconduct may be forcible or non-forcible. When an act constituting sexual misconduct is committed either by force, threat, intimidation, or through the use of the victim’s mental or physical helplessness (of which the accused was aware or should have been aware) the act is considered forcible.
  • Sexual misconduct may be a form of sex discrimination prohibited by federal and state discrimination laws, including Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972 and Title VII of the Civil Rights Act.

Sexual Violence: Physical sexual acts perpetrated against a person’s will, or where a person is incapable of giving consent, due to the victim’s physical incapacity, mental disability, or use of drugs and/or alcohol. Sexual violence, often referred to as sexual assault or rape, will be subject to College sanctions, and is punishable by both civil and criminal legal penalties.

Academic Freedom: The academic setting is distinct from the workplace in that wide latitude of professional judgment is allowed in determining the appropriate content and presentation of academic material.

Hood College is committed to the principles of free inquiry and free expression. The College's policy against discrimination, harassment, and sexual misconduct, and retaliation is not intended to stifle this freedom, nor will it be permitted to do so. However, prohibited discrimination, harassment, sexual misconduct, and retaliation are neither legally protected expression nor the proper exercise of academic freedom, and such conduct is incompatible with the values of Hood College.

Procedures for Reporting Complaints

Please see the full text of Policy 55 for complete procedures.

Any individual who believes that she or he has been subject to harassment, discrimination or sexual misconduct, or who has witnessed what she or he believes to be harassment, discrimination, or sexual misconduct should report such conduct promptly, using the procedures outlined below. All complaints will be investigated as appropriate. Confidentiality will be preserved consistent with applicable laws and the College’s responsibility to investigate and address such complaints. In cases of physical threats, discrimination, and sexual misconduct, the College will take appropriate and immediate steps to end the offensive or threatening behavior and to provide a safe environment that does not interfere with the complainant’s right to pursue an education.

There will be no adverse action against any individual for reporting an incident of harassment, discrimination, or sexual misconduct or for participating in, or cooperating with, an investigation of an alleged incident. Complaints of harassment, discrimination and sexual harassment are treated as very serious matters by the College. Accordingly, anyone who files a complaint which is knowingly false is subject to discipline. This provision is not intended to discourage, in any way, the reporting of complaints by individuals who believe they are the victims of harassment, discrimination or sexual misconduct.

Complainants and respondents will receive formal notice of the outcome of any investigation, finding, and of any action to be taken or sanctions to be applied. The following individuals are designated to receive complaints of harassment, discrimination and sexual misconduct:

Ombudsperson: Dr. Wanda Ruffin (301) 696-3295 or

Dean of the Chapel: Rev. Beth O’Malley (301) 696-3436 or

Executive Director of Human Resources: Carol Wuenschel (301) 696-3592 or

Vice President for Finance: Charles Mann (301) 696-3611 or

In addition, reports may be made to any other College resource person, including, but not limited to, supervisors, employees of the Counseling Center, Residence Life Area Coordinators, and Resident Assistants. Such persons who receive complaints of possible harassment, discrimination or sexual misconduct will refer such complaints to either the Ombudsperson or the Dean of The Chapel.

MANDATORY REPORTING UNDER THE CLEARY ACT, TITLE VII, AND TITLE IX: Many Hood College employees are designated as mandatory reporters. Please refer to Mandatory Reporting Policy (HR Policy 317). It is the responsibility of all Mandatory Reporters to recognize acts of harassment, discrimination and sexual misconduct and to take necessary action to ensure that such instances are addressed swiftly, fairly and effectively, including reporting such incidents to the appropriate College officials designated under this policy. Failure to comply with these requirements will be treated as a failure to fulfill a responsibility fundamental to the terms of employment and may result in counseling and/or discipline as appropriate.

Confidentiality: If a complainant requests that her/his name not be revealed, the responsible College official should inform the complainant that the request may limit the College’s ability to respond. If the complainant continues to ask that her/his name not be revealed, the responsible official should take all reasonable steps to effectuate an investigation into the circumstances and response to the complaint consistent with that request, as long as doing so does not preclude the College from responding effectively to the behavior and preventing further such behavior toward others. In accordance with various laws and regulations, the College will provide information to regulatory agencies and others and protect the identity of the victim to the extent permissible by law.

Procedures for Resolving Complaints

Detailed operating procedures are contained in the full text of Policy 55. Complaints alleging harassment or discrimination may be resolved through formal or informal procedures at the option of the victim. Complaints of sexual misconduct, including sexual harassment, can only be resolved using the formal procedure. In general, the steps in the resolution process are as follows:

  • Intake Phase: The complaint is brought to the Ombudsperson, Dean of the Chapel or other Responsible College Official; Complainant is informed of options for informal or formal resolution, and a written statement of the complaint is prepared.
  • Administrative Response Phase: The College will promptly notify outside authorities and other college officials, as appropriate, and take actions needed to address immediate concerns.
  • Informal Procedure: If the victim chooses informal resolution, one or both of the following main approaches may be utilized: a) Direct communication with the respondent; or b) mediation facilitated by the Ombudsperson or Dean of the Chapel. Appropriate parties and College officials will be notified of outcomes and resolutions; follow up will occur to review the success of the resolution.
  • Formal Procedure: If the formal resolution process is to be applied, the appropriate grievance board will be notified that a complaint may be brought before them. The Faculty Review Board is involved for cases where a faculty member is the respondent; the College Grievance Board in cases where a staff member, student, or other person is named as respondent.
  • Investigation and Assessment Phase: The Executive Director of Human Resources conducts or directs an investigation into the facts of the complaint and will assess whether the information gathered supports the need for a grievance board hearing.
  • Hearing and Findings Phase: The appropriate grievance board (see #4) will determine if the facts of the case, in their estimation, support the need for a hearing. If so, they will determine if a) harassment, discrimination or sexual misconduct did occur; or b) harassment, discrimination or sexual misconduct did not occur, and will notify the Provost or the Faculty Personnel Committee, the parties, and appropriate college officials of their findings.
  • Notice to Parties Phase: Following completion of the Hearing and Findings Phase, the Provost or the Faculty Personnel Committee will determine a resolution for the complaint and will notify the parties of the resolution, including any discipline or sanctions.
  • Actions Phase: The Provost or his/her designee or the President or his/her designee will implement the resolution, including imposing any discipline or sanctions.
  • Appeal Phase: Within 10 days of the Actions Phase, either party may present a written appeal to the President or his/her designee who will, in a timely fashion, consider if it meets one or more standards for appeal. Standards for appeal are a) one or more procedural errors occurred; b) new information that was not previously available or known has come to light; or c) the appellant has reason to believe that the sanction or discipline was inappropriate. The President or his/her designee may choose to modify or reverse findings and sanctions based on his review of the appeal.

Back to the top


All portions of the Code of Conduct apply in the residential system. See Appendix A: Code of Conduct.

Housing and Food Service Contract

To live in Hood College housing, a student must submit a Housing and Food Service Contract. Failure to do so does not release a student required to live on campus from the conditions of the contract or permit the student to live off campus.

Cleanliness and Hygiene Guidelines

Students are responsible for cleaning their own rooms and apartments (including private bathrooms) and are expected to keep the common areas of the residential system in order. The College provides waste receptacles on each floor, and the building’s service workers maintain the common areas and common bathrooms. If a student’s lack of cleanliness creates a health hazard, the student may be asked to leave their residence. Residence Life and facilities staff members will perform routine Health and Safety Inspections to ensure adherence to this policy.

Damages and Room Alteration

Semi-permanent installation of personal property in a residence hall is prohibited, including nailing fixtures to walls, ceiling or furniture; drilling holes; removing fixtures on windows or screens; tampering with electrical wiring; painting of rooms; and other permanent alterations of the property. Students may not put holes in any of the doors. The fire doors are made of a fibrous inner core that disintegrates when holes are made. Without the fibrous core, the doors do not meet the required state fire code.

Resident rooms are checked for damage at the beginning and the end of occupancy. In addition, periodic room inspections are conducted during the semester to ensure the condition of College property. Occupants of a room will be charged for damage beyond that due to normal wear.

Resident Assistants complete the Room Condition Form at the start of the year, but it is the student’s responsibility to review the form and note any discrepancies. Failure to do so does not release the student from accountability for any damages to the room.

Damages that were not documented at the beginning of occupancy are considered the occupant’s responsibility and will result in charges to the student’s account. Residents are responsible for checking out of their room with a Resident Assistant (or a designated Residence Life staff member) when they vacate their rooms, whether for a room change or at the end of their occupancy, to determine and claim responsibility for any damages. The check-out portion of the Room Condition Form is completed by Residence Life staff after check-out. Failure to complete check-out procedures does not release a student from responsibility for damages, and it will result in a $150 improper check-out fee, in addition to other potential charges.

Damage charges may be appealed to the Area Coordinator or Assistant Director responsible for the residence.


Lofted beds may not be constructed or installed in College residential facilities. Students may adjust the height and/or bunk College provided beds that are designed for such use. Bed-risers of reasonable height may be used at the discretion of Residence Life staff. The College is not responsible for injury and/or property damage resulting from improperly raised beds.

Residence Hall Meetings

Residence hall meetings are conducted by the Resident Assistants, in conjunction with House Councils on a regular basis. These meetings provide opportunities to disseminate information, plan activities, exchange ideas and vote on matters concerning the hall. Attendance at all residence hall meetings is mandatory and students are responsible for any information presented, even if absent.

Housing Accommodations

Hood College will make reasonable accommodations for students with housing needs in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act and other applicable laws. Any student who has a disability or a physical or psychological health problem necessitating housing accommodations, such as a first floor room, a private room (no roommates/single), etc., must request accommodations through the Disability Services Coordinator (301-696-3421) by submitting a Housing Accommodations Request. Students without disabilities requesting a housing accommodation must follow the same process; these may include cultural, ethnic, religious, or gender-related reasons necessitating an accommodation. The Housing Accommodations Committee will evaluate the request based on the needs present, and where applicable, the documentation of the disability or condition by a licensed practitioner; the committee will determine the scope of reasonable accommodations to be provided. If space limitations exist, the committee will also determine the priority level of the student for accommodations as space becomes available.

Requests not approved by the committee will be communicated to the student by the Coordinator. Reasonable accommodations approved by the committee will be communicated to the student by Residence Life staff, who will work with the student regarding the accommodation. Housing arrangements are granted for one academic year only (or for the remainder of the year if granted after the start of the fall semester); students must reapply with the Disability Services Coordinator each spring for the upcoming fall semester. The College reserves the right to require prescribed treatment in such situations and to make assignments based on the best interest of the residential community and availability of space.


Extremely limited storage areas are available for residents currently living in the halls. During the winter and summer breaks, storage is available only to those students whose permanent address is 1000 miles or more from the college, who are returning to residence the following semester (or who will be returning the following year after studying abroad or away). In general, students are not permitted access to the storage areas during the semester except in emergency situations. The College cannot guarantee the availability of storage or the safety of items in storage and strongly recommends that students take valuable items home or rent an off-campus storage facility.

Bicycles may only be stored in a specified storage area or the resident’s room. Gasoline-powered motor vehicles, gasoline or any other flammable or combustible items may not be stored in residence halls. College provided furniture may not be removed from resident rooms and may not be placed in student storage areas. Violation of restrictions on storage will result in a fine.

Hood College is not responsible for stored property. Students are encouraged to review their family personal property insurance coverage or to purchase renter’s insurance. During the summer months, students are encouraged to take valuables home.

Personal items placed in storage must meet guidelines and limits set by the Director of Residence Life and Student Conduct and may be refused for storage at the discretion of residence life staff within these guidelines.

Theft of items from storage rooms is a violation of College policy and will be investigated by the Department of Campus Safety and Security.


The College provides telephones on each residence hall floor and in common areas of the language houses. Local and campus phone calls may be placed from these phones free of charge. Long distance calls require a calling card. Phones are not automatically provided in individual residence hall rooms.

Residential students are required to provide a working mobile telephone number on their Housing and Food Service Contract Acceptance form for contact purposes. It is the responsibility of the resident to inform the Office of Residence Life if her/his mobile telephone information changes. Failure to keep an up-to-date mobile phone number on file may result in a fine.

Residential students who do not possess a mobile phone should speak with the Director of Residence Life and Student Conduct to determine other contact options.

Such students may request a land-line telephone be installed in their room. The College charges a fee for requested land-line phone service in individual rooms.

Trash Room/Recycling

Each residence hall is equipped with large trash cans into which students can empty garbage from their rooms. Individual rooms are not equipped with trash cans. Residence halls also have a recycling collection center for paper, glass, aluminum, and plastic. Residents are encouraged to be responsible citizens by separating recyclables from trash.

Break Closing and Check Out

Residence halls close and no food service is available during Thanksgiving, semester (winter), and spring breaks, as well as during the summer.

It is against College policy for students to occupy residence halls after designated hall closing (unless special permission is granted for those who apply to remain in their residence). There is an hourly fine for late departure after residence halls close. See Residence Life for the current amount of the hourly fine. Students who return before published hall opening times, without approval, will also be subject to fines. When residence halls close, students must complete check-out procedures by preparing their rooms before leaving the College. The check-out sheet must be posted on the door of the room at the time the student leaves; at the published closing time, College personnel may enter the student’s room without notice to ensure that safety precautions have been met. Particular attention should be given to closing windows and, in the colder months, to ensuring that the heating elements are turned on. All electrical appliances, including refrigerators, must be unplugged and emptied of perishables. At end of year closing, residents are required to personally check-out with their RA upon departure. Failure to properly complete check-out procedures will result in a fine.

Break Housing

When residence halls are closed during Thanksgiving, semester (winter) and spring breaks, housing is offered on a limited basis at a daily cost equivalent to what students pay during the academic year. International students are housed free during Thanksgiving, semester and spring breaks but must pay for summer break housing. Students involved in college academic and co-curricular programs (i.e., student teaching, internships for academic credit, or certain in-season athletics), are permitted to stay in break housing at no cost during the Thanksgiving, winter, and spring break periods.

It is against policy to occupy the halls during a break or summer without completing appropriate forms. Applications for break housing are available on the Office of Residence Life’s website. Even if housing costs are waived, an application must be completed. Students who fail to complete an application will receive a fine, even if required to be on campus. See the Office of Residence Life for the current amount of this fine.

Unauthorized occupancy when not required for academic reasons will result in break housing charges being applied to the student account, as well as the fine.

Limited summer housing is available, at a cost, to students who wish to attend summer school and/or work in the Frederick area.

Visiting the Residence Halls

When visiting the residence halls, it is important to remember that all nonresidents are guests. Residents of each specific building are considered guests in all other residence halls. Guests are responsible for following the rules and regulations published in the Appendix A: Code of Conduct.

Each resident is responsible for informing her or his guests of the rules of the residence hall and is held responsible for the actions of her or his guests. Guests are asked to treat the residents and the residence halls with the same respect as when visiting in someone’s home.

Residency Requirement

Traditional-aged undergraduate first-year and sophomore students are required to live in College housing unless they are commuting from their parents’ home.

Room Changes

There is a formal room change period in November for the upcoming spring semester. Information is sent to students in early October.

Outside of this formal period, students are required to resolve interpersonal concerns with their roommates rather than resorting to a room change for a “quick fix.” Room changes outside the formal period are considered a last resort and offered only after sincere attempts to resolve concerns. The conflict resolution policy is available to help students negotiate roommate problems. Please see Housing and Food Service Contract, Conflict Resolution Policy, available from the Residence Life Office. Students wishing to engage in mediation with their roommate should contact their Resident Assistant.

No residential room changes are permitted during the first two weeks of the fall and spring semesters, except in extreme circumstances approved by the Director of Residence Life and Student Conduct. This early portion of the semester is a key time when roommates begin negotiating mutual expectations for cohabitation.

All room change requests are subject to space available and must be approved by the Office of Residence Life. Unauthorized room changes will result in judicial action, and a minimum of a fine of $25 per day or portion thereof.

Room Selection

Room Selection for the following academic year is held yearly in March or April. Policies and procedures change from year-to-year depending on student needs and availability of space. Information on Room Selection is published and distributed to students early in the spring semester.

Safety Hazards/Elevator Issues

In the case of safety hazards (i.e., smoke coming out of a light fixture, exposed wires, steam leakage or other unusual safety related situations which require immediate attention), contact the following persons:

  • During regular business hours, Facilities at (301) 696-3452 or x3452 from a campus phone. After hours, Campus Safety and Security at (301) 663-3131 or “0” from a campus phone and they will contact the appropriate Facilities personnel.
  • In the residence halls, a building staff member or Campus Safety and Security via a red phone.

Search and Seizure

Hood College recognizes and respects the rights of its students to have privacy with respect to their persons and their personal belongings. The College also recognizes its responsibility to preserve a wholesome learning and living environment on campus, to provide adequate maintenance and protection of public property, and to protect the health and safety of all persons on campus. The following procedures govern the entry and search of College residence hall rooms or individually assigned lockers or storage spaces.

The College reserves the right to enter College rooms under any of the following circumstances:

  • When there exists an immediate threat to the health or safety to the occupants or to College property.
  • When occupants of a room are unknown and fail to properly identify themselves.
  • With permission of the resident.
  • With a search warrant.
  • With permission of the President of Hood College or designee or the Dean of Students or designee when there is sufficient reason to suspect infractions of College regulations or of local, state and federal laws.
  • By maintenance personnel and their designated agents for repair, replacement or inspection of College property.
  • By a College official to complete closing and checkout procedures or to conduct periodic health and safety inspections.
  • During residence hall fire drills or alarms to ensure that all residents and their guests are out of the building.

The College reserves the right to search College student rooms under any of the following circumstances:

  • With permission of the resident.
  • With a search warrant.
  • With permission of the President of Hood College or designee or the Dean of Students or designee when there is sufficient reason to suspect infractions of College regulations or of local, state and federal laws.

Back to the top

Sexual Misconduct, Sexual Violence & Relationship Violence Policy

Sexual misconduct (including sexual and relationship violence), is one of the most serious violations of Hood’s values of honor and respect, and no form of sexual misconduct is acceptable within our community. This policy provides an overview of the community’s expectations. Related policies which provide further clarifying information, resolution methods, and statements regarding confidentiality and rights can be found at Human Resources Policies and Procedures. Such related policies function in concert with this policy and include the Prevention and Resolution of Harassment, Discrimination and Sexual Misconduct (Policy 55) and the Mandatory Reporting Policy (HR Policy 317).

Sexual misconduct is a broad term that encompasses sexual violence, nonconsensual sexual contact, sexual harassment, sexual assault, sexual exploitation, sexual intimidation, and relationship violence. All forms of sexual misconduct are prohibited in the Hood community. Students, faculty, staff and other members of the Hood community who are found to have engaged in sexual misconduct will be subject to sanctions which reflect the seriousness of the offense, the circumstances of the occurrence, and any prior violations of College behavioral standards. Such sanctions may include, but are not limited to, probationary status, loss of College housing and/or separation from the institution on a temporary or permanent basis. Relationship violence is a type of sexual misconduct occurring between individuals connected through a current or past relationship.

Sexual violence is a specific form of sexual misconduct which refers to physical sexual acts perpetrated against a person’s will or where a person is incapable of giving consent due to the victim’s use of drugs or alcohol. Some forms of sexual violence, often referred to as sexual assault or rape, are punishable by both civil and criminal legal action. In addition, this policy prohibits retaliation against anyone who files a complaint under this policy or participates in any investigation of a complaint. Sexual misconduct can occur between strangers or acquaintances, including people involved in an intimate sexual relationship. Sexual misconduct can be committed by men or women and can occur between people of the same or different sex. Both acts of sexual misconduct and attempts to commit acts of sexual misconduct are considered violations of this policy. Further, acting in a manner that facilitates or enables an act of sexual misconduct by another, or attempting to do the same, is a violation of this policy.

Sexual misconduct may be forcible or non-forcible. When an act constituting sexual misconduct is committed either by force, threat, intimidation, or through the use of the victim’s mental or physical helplessness (of which the accused was aware or should have been aware), the act may be considered forcible. This distinction informs how the College reports incidents under applicable law; forcible offenses are not necessarily “worse” than non-forcible offenses.

Sexual misconduct may be a form of sex discrimination prohibited by federal and state discrimination laws, including Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972 and Title VII of the Civil Rights Act.

Support in matters of sexual misconduct may be requested on a 24-hour basis by contacting Campus Safety and Security at (301) 696-3548 or x3548 on campus. Support is also available on a 24-hour basis from the Heartly House Crisis Hotline at (301) 662-8800. Further information about support, including confidential oncampus options and external options, is presented at the end of this policy. Additionally, any student who reports a sexual misconduct incident is entitled to support through a change in residence (if living in College housing) and/or an adjustment in class schedule (if the situation allows), or other appropriate accommodations.


Consent (also referred to as effective consent) means a knowing, voluntary, and affirmatively communicated willingness to participate in a particular sexual activity or behavior. It must be given by a person with the ability and capacity to exercise free will and make a rational, reasonable judgment. Consent may be expressed by either words or clear, unambiguous actions. Words or actions constituting consent create a mutually understandable permission regarding the conditions of sexual activity. It is the responsibility of the person who wants to engage in (initiate) sexual activity to ensure that he or she has the consent of the other(s) to engage in the activity. Consent must be present throughout the sexual activity and may be withdrawn at any time. If there is confusion as to whether there is consent or whether prior consent has been withdrawn, it is essential that the participants stop the activity until the confusion is resolved.

To give consent, one must be of legal age. Lack of protest or resistance is not consent. Nor may silence, in and of itself, be interpreted as consent. Previous relationships, including past sexual relationships, do not imply consent to future sexual acts, nor does consent to one form of sexual activity automatically imply consent to other forms of sexual activity.

Consent cannot be obtained by the use of physical force, threats, intimidating behavior, or coercion. Coercion is unreasonable pressure for sexual activity. Coercive behavior differs from seductive behavior based on the type of pressure used. When someone makes it clear that he or she does not want sex, that he or she wants to stop, that he or she does not want to do certain things, or that he or she does not want to go beyond a certain point, continued pressure can be coercive. Consent cannot be obtained from an incapacitated individual. A person who engages in sexual activity with another whom the person knows, or should know, is incapacitated has not obtained consent and is in violation of this policy. The relevant standard is whether a sober, reasonable person in the same position should have known that the other party was incapacitated and therefore unable to consent. Incapacitated, for the purposes of this policy, means that the person’s decision making ability is impaired such that the person lacks the ability to understand the “who, what, where, why, or how” of their sexual interaction. Incapacitation may result from:

  • Sleep or unconsciousness
  • Temporary or permanent mental or physical disability
  • Involuntary physical restraint
  • The influence of alcohol, drugs, or medication (including, but not limited to substances such as Rohypnol, Ketamine, GHB, Burundanga, and similar substances).


Nonconsensual Sexual Contact

Nonconsensual sexual contact is any intentional sexual touching, however slight, with any object by one person upon another person without effective consent, or forcing an unwilling person to engage in sexual touching of another. Sexual touching includes any bodily contact with the breasts, groin, genitals, mouth, or other bodily orifice of another, or the clothing covering such parts, or any other bodily contact in a sexual manner (including other nonconsensual contact undertaken with the intention of sexual pleasure or arousal for a person or persons involved). Effective consent is defined above (see “Consent”).

Relationship Violence

Acts, threats or a pattern of abusive behavior of a physical or sexual nature by one partner intended to control, intimidate, manipulate, humiliate, frighten, coerce, or injure the other constitute relationship violence. Relationship violence can occur between current or former romantic/intimate partners who have dated, lived together, currently reside together (on or off campus), or who are otherwise connected through a past or existing relationship. It can occur in opposite-sex and same-sex relationships and can be perpetrated by a spouse, ex-spouse, a current or former boyfriend or girlfriend or a current or former dating partner. Relationship violence is sometimes referred to as intimate partner violence, domestic violence, or dating violence.

Sexual Assault

Sexual assault offenses include, but are not limited to, forcible and non-forcible sex acts such as rape, forcible sodomy, incest, or any forcible or non-forcible sexual penetration or intercourse (anal, oral or vaginal), however slight, with any object; sexual intercourse by a person upon another person without effective consent also constitutes sexual assault. Effective consent is defined above (see “Consent”). Sexual penetration includes vaginal or anal penetration by a penis, object, tongue, or finger and oral copulation by mouth-to-genital or genital-to-mouth contact. Sexual assault may also include unwanted sexually obscene communications (in person, by phone, texting, email or social networking).

Sexual Exploitation

Sexual exploitation occurs when a person takes nonconsensual or abusive sexual advantage of another for his/her own advantage or benefit, or to the benefit or advantage of anyone other than the one being exploited, and that behavior does not otherwise constitute sexual assault, nonconsensual sexual contact, or sexual harassment.

Examples of sexual exploitation include, but are not limited to: making public sexual activity with another, without that person’s consent; prostituting or causing the prostitution of another; photographing, video recording (or transmission), or audio recording (or transmission) of private sexual activity and/or intimate body parts (including genitalia, groin, breasts or buttocks) without the knowledge and consent of all persons involved; going beyond the boundaries of consent (such as allowing third parties to observe private sexual acts of a participant without the participant’s consent); voyeurism; and/or knowingly transmitting HIV or an STI to another person.

Sexual Harassment

Sexual harassment includes unwelcome sexual advances, requests for sexual favors and other inappropriate verbal, written or physical conduct of a sexual nature when a) submission to such conduct is made a condition of one’s employment or participation in an educational program, or b) when submission to (or rejection of) such conduct is used by the offender as the basis for making personnel or educational decisions, or c) when such conduct has the purpose or effect of unreasonably interfering with one’s work or academic performance or creating a hostile or offensive work/educational environment or limiting one’s ability to participate based on sex. For an expansive definition and examples, please see Prevention and Resolution of Harassment, Discrimination and Sexual Misconduct (Policy 55).

Sexual Intimidation

Threatening to sexually assault another person, stalking (including cyber-stalking), and any nonconsensual disrobing of another or nonconsensual (or indecent) exposure by one person to another person or persons are examples of sexual intimidation.


Hood College supports the right of a victim of sexual misconduct to decide how to best utilize the various College, Frederick community and private resources, while also recognizing our responsibility as an institution to address alleged sexual misconduct in a manner that preserves a safe, healthy, and functional academic environment. Should an incident occur on the campus or at a College-sponsored event, staff will take prompt action to support the victim, may involve law enforcement authorities and will take disciplinary actions where appropriate utilizing the methods contained in the policy statements and procedures regarding harassment, discrimination and sexual misconduct at Hood College which are found at Prevention and Resolution of Harassment, Discrimination and Sexual Misconduct (Policy 55).

Members of the College community who are the victims of, or who have knowledge of, sexual misconduct occurring on campus property, occurring in the course of a College-sponsored activity, or that are perpetrated by a member of the College community, are urged to report the incident to the Department of Campus Safety and Security promptly. Persons who are victims of sexual misconduct will be advised by the Department of Campus Safety and Security of their option to file criminal charges with local police of the jurisdiction where the sexual misconduct occurred, if such misconduct may also violate the law. The Department of Campus Safety and Security will provide assistance to a person wishing to reach law enforcement authorities. In reporting a case of sexual misconduct, victims have several options:

Confidential Support Options

Any of the following trained persons can provide confidential support to victims. These resources are not required to disclose identifying information to the College or file a report of the incident which includes identifying details: Counselors at Counseling Services, the Health Services Staff, and/or the Dean of the Chapel. For more information about confidentiality, see the related policies at the web address above.

Outside and Personal Support Options

Outside sources may also provide assistance. Such resources include: Heartly House at (301) 662-8800; RAINN, a national victim assistance agency, at (800) 656-HOPE; or the Rape Treatment Center. Personal support may also come from friends and family.

Options for Medical Attention

Medical attention may be sought from the emergency room at Frederick Memorial Hospital. The Department of Campus Safety and Security can arrange transportation to the hospital. The Frederick City Police can meet victims there or FMH will contact the police. If you report the assault to the police and a SAFE (Sexual Assault Forensic Exam) exam is done, you will not be charged for the ER visit. The nurse will offer to contact Heartly House. A trained victim advocate will come to the hospital to provide emotional support and information. The SAFE exam has two main purposes: to care for the victim’s needs and to collect appropriate evidence in the event of criminal prosecution. You may choose to have the SAFE exam even if you have not decided whether to press charges. If you later opt to do so, the evidence will be available to you. Do not shower or bathe prior to this exam.

It is also possible to receive medical attention from the Hood College Health Services. Health Services can provide testing for sexually transmitted diseases and emergency contraception. Health Services cannot collect evidence for possible prosecution. Counseling or a referral from Counseling Services may also be obtained.

Options for Reporting the Incident

One option is to report the sexual misconduct to the Frederick City Police and request that charges be filed. Another option is to report the sexual misconduct to campus authorities. Reporting the incident to the police and/or filing charges does not prevent reporting to campus authorities. Likewise, reporting to campus authorities does not limit the ability to report to and/or file charges with the police.

The College has designated certain officials as “responsible officials.” A report to these individuals is an official report to the College which necessitates a response by the College. Responsible officials include most Directors (unless listed as confidential options, above), Deans (except the Dean of the Chapel), Vice Presidents, supervisors, and residence life staff who work directly in the housing environment (including RAs). For more information on reporting and confidentiality, see the Mandatory Reporting Policy at the website above. When a report is made to a responsible official, action may proceed automatically as part of Hood’s obligation.

Charges may be filed through the College’s internal judicial system as appropriate. Students should file a report with the Dean of Students, the Ombudsperson or the Executive Director of Human Resources. Students may also initiate action by filing a written complaint with the individuals above. For more information about the judicial process utilized for cases involving sexual misconduct, please see Prevention and Resolution of Harassment, Discrimination and Sexual Misconduct (Policy 55).

Statements made at community events designed to promote awareness of and/or education about sexual misconduct are not generally considered “notice” to the institution under the guidelines of Title IX, though the institution may utilize such information to identify trends and address community-level needs.

Hood College shall not retaliate against a student who files a complaint for sexual assault or who participates as a witness in an investigation of a sexual assault. Except for a mandatory intervention for substance abuse, Hood College shall not impose judicial charges regarding alcohol and/or drug use policy violations to either (1) a student who reports to the institution or law enforcement office an incidence of sexual assault, or (2) a student who participates in an investigation of sexual assault as a witness, if all three of the following conditions are present:

  • Hood College determines the alcohol or drug violation occurred during or near the time of the alleged sexual assault;
  • The student is determined to have made the report of sexual assault or is participating in an investigation as a witness in good faith;
  • And, Hood College determines that the violation was not an act that was reasonably likely to place the health or safety of another individual at risk.

After a sexual assault has been reported, and upon request of the alleged victim, the transfer of the alleged victim to alternative classes or housing, if such alternatives are available and feasible, should take place.

Back to the top


Emergencies 911 (or 9-911 from a campus phone)
Campus Safety-Non-Emergency (301) 696-3548 or x3548 from a campus phone
Campus Safety-Emergency Line (301) 696-3111 or x3111 from a campus phone
Frederick Hospital Emergency Department (240) 566-3300
Heartly House (24-hour crisis line) (301) 662-8800
Frederick County Hotline (301) 662-2255
Frederick City Police (301) 694-2100
Counseling Services (301) 696-3440 or 3441 or x3440/3441 from a campus phone
Health Services (301) 696-3439 or x3439 from a campus phone
Dean of the Chapel (301) 696-3436 or x3436 from a campus phone
Residence Life & Student Conduct (301) 696-3577 or x3577 from a campus phone
Dean of Students (301) 696-3573 or x3573 from a campus phone


Smoking is prohibited in all campus buildings including individual residence hall rooms, hallways, porches, fire escapes and balconies; private offices, conference rooms and hallways; lounges, rest rooms and other enclosed work places. This policy prohibits all tobacco products, including e-cigarettes, vaporizers and other smoking paraphernalia. Smoking also is prohibited in campus vehicles, leased and owned. Smoking is permitted outdoors, but cigarette butts must be disposed of properly in provided receptacles. According to Maryland State Law, smokers must be a minimum of 25 feet away from an entrance to a building. For residence halls, the House Council may designate specific smoking and non-smoking areas around the building.

In the case of outdoor smoking at public events, nonsmokers rights prevail (i.e., a nonsmoker can ask a smoker to stop if that person is bothered by the smoke). Violations of this policy will result in a fine. Students in violation of Smoking policies will be referred to the Student Conduct System (See Appendix A: Code of Conduct)

Back to the top


Student organizations are governed by policies contained in the Student Organization Handbook. Student organization officers are required to attend a training session at the beginning of each year to become familiar with the policies and procedures related to student organizations. Questions about student organization policies and procedures should be directed to the Office of Student Engagement located in the Student Life Suite on the second floor of the Whitaker Campus Center.

Back to the top


Student, alumna and alumnus addresses and phone numbers (campus or home) will not be released by the College to unauthorized persons without written permission of the student. Requests for such information and messages may be conveyed to the student, alumna and alumnus as deemed appropriate by College officials.

In matters pertaining to student records, the College will comply with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974, as outlined in the following sections. The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 was passed by Congress to protect the privacy of students, to assure students of the right of opportunity to gain access to certain records and to establish procedures by which students may review these records. The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 applies only to education records, which are defined as “records, files, documents and other materials which contain information directly related to a student” and are “maintained by an educational agency or institution.”

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 applies, for the purpose of these guidelines, to the records of students presently enrolled, and to former students, alumnae and alumni, but not to applicants seeking admission to the institution. Education records maintained by the College and the designated custodian are:

  • Academic (grade reports, transcripts, etc.) Custodian: Registrar, Dean of Graduate School or faculty adviser
  • Athletics Custodian: Dean of Students and Department of Athletics
  • Career Planning Custodian: Director of Career Center
  • Disciplinary and Judicial Custodians: Dean of Students and Director of Residence Life and Student Conduct
  • Financial Custodian: Treasurer
  • Financial Aid Custodian: Director of Financial Aid
  • Job Placement Custodian: Director of Career Center
  • Standardized and Placement Test Scores Custodians: Registrar, Director of the Center for Academic Achievement and Retention, Dean of the Graduate School
  • Veterans Custodian: Financial Aid

The term “education records” does not include the following:

  • Personal files of faculty and administrative personnel that are in the maker’s sole possession and not accessible or revealed to any other person;
  • Campus law enforcement records, which are kept separate from education records, are maintained for campus law enforcement purposes only;
  • Medical, psychiatric or psychological records created and used only for the treatment of a student and available only to those providing the treatment (provided, however, that a physician or other appropriate professional of the student’s choice may review records);
  • Employment records of students as College employees;
  • Financial records of the parents of the student or any information contained therein;
  • Institutional records of students which may be maintained by the College in a computer printout or similar format (provided the computerized information is not intended to be distributed outside the College), as long as the original source of computer information is available in the office or department having original jurisdiction of the records;
  • Letters of recommendation or statements of reference for students obtained or prepared before January 1, 1975, pursuant to implied or expressed promises of confidentiality or personally signed letters of recommendation to which students have waived their rights of access;
  • Information or data collected by the Alumnae and Institutional Advancement Offices about alumnae and alumni;
  • Directory information (information confirming the following items about individual students: class level, major, dates of attendance, name and dates of attendance at other institutions, degrees and dates awarded. Directory information may be released or published without the student’s consent. If, however, a student does not want certain information requested by the Registrar’s Office to be released, she or he must so indicate at the time the information is requested.

Back to the top



Students may have access to all of their own education records according to the procedures described in the “Procedures” section of these guidelines. Financial records and related parental financial information shall not be released to students. Any institutional office maintaining such records shall either store them in a file separate from records subject to review or conspicuously stamp them “CONFIDENTIAL—NOT TO BE RELEASED.”

Confidential evaluations and recommendations of students placed in education files prior to January 1, 1975, will not be released to students. All other education records of an individual student shall be open for inspection by that student unless access is restricted under paragraph 4 of this section.

A student may waive her or his right of access to evaluations and recommendations submitted on or after Jan. 1, 1975, provided, however, that the student must, upon request, be notified of the name of each person who has submitted a confidential evaluation and recommendation. Such evaluations and recommendations are to be used only for the purpose intended. A waiver may not be required as a precondition of admission to the College or receipt of financial aid or any other services or benefits. Waivers will be in writing and signed by the student.

Students may not review education records containing information about more than one student; however, the student will be permitted access to that part of the record that pertains only to her or himself.

Agencies or Persons Other Than Students

No one (including parents of dependent students) shall have access to education records without the written consent of the student concerned, except for the following:

  • Faculty and staff members determined by the appropriate record keeper to have legitimate educational interests in reviewing the student record;
  • Authorized federal officials auditing federally supported education programs and state officials to whom information from student records is required to be disclosed, by statute adopted prior to Nov. 19, l974;
  • Persons processing a student’s financial aid application;
  • Organizations conducting studies on behalf of educational agencies may require, in writing, information in connection with predictive tests, student aid programs and the improvement of instruction, provided that the identity of students will be revealed only to representatives of the agencies and only when necessary. These organizations may not disclose the personal identification of students. All information must be destroyed when it is no longer needed for their project;
  • Recognized accreditation organizations carrying out their accrediting functions;
  • Court orders;
  • Officials of other institutions in which the student seeks to enroll when such information is requested in writing by the other institution;
  • In an emergency, appropriate persons, as determined by the senior officer responsible for the division in which the record is kept, if the knowledge of information from a student’s record is necessary to protect the health and safety of the student or other persons.

Procedures for Access and Review

Records released to any organization, agency or individual shall be transmitted with a letter informing the recipient that such information is to be used only by those individuals directly involved in the deliberations warranting the request and is not to be disclosed to others without the written consent of the student(s). In addition, the recipient shall be notified in writing that if compliance with this requirement is not acceptable, all records shall be returned, unused, to the institution.

Each office that maintains education records shall keep a list of all individuals, agencies or organizations that have requested access to a student’s education record. There does not need to be any listings of requests which students make for their own use, responses to written requests from students, requests made by College officials and requests for information classified as directory information. Requests of disclosures become part of the education record. The records must be maintained in a form that permits inspection by the appropriate persons.

A student is entitled to an explanation of any information contained in the official records directly related to the student. The student may request a hearing to challenge the content of the education records to ensure that they are not inaccurate or misleading, contain inappropriate data and to insert into the records a written explanation.

The substantive education judgment of a faculty member about a student’s work (grades or other evaluations of work assigned) is not within the scope of such hearing. A student may challenge the factual and objective elements of the education record but not the qualitative and subjective elements of grading.

The College has established policies regarding the destruction of records after certain periods of time. These policies are not intended to deny or limit an office in the legitimate destruction of a class of records that the College finds no need to maintain after an established period of time.

A request by a student or agency to inspect a record shall be made in writing to the College office that maintains the record. Each office shall have its own published procedures for receiving and processing requests. Each office is obliged to tell the student when the document requested will be available. (A document must be available within 45 days after receipt of the request.) An office must tell a student who (except appropriate College officials) has requested access to her or his record and why.

Students must identify themselves before being shown their records and must not interfere with the operation of the office in which the record is being maintained. Students should examine the record at reasonable hours at the place that the record is maintained. Before a student is given her or his record, confidential data (parents’ financial records, recommendations and evaluations written prior to January 1, 1975, and records other than those defined as education records) will be removed. The examination of the record will be supervised. An explanation and interpretation of the record will be provided during the reviewing process. Copies of records shall be transmitted to the student upon payment of the established fee for issuing copies, provided the student has no outstanding financial obligations.

Students may challenge information included in their records according to the following procedures:

The student should notify the appropriate person in the office where the record is maintained, attempting to resolve the problem through informal discussions within the office. If the problem is resolved, the office will correct or amend the record as necessary. Corrections and amendments will be made within a reasonable period of time.

If the problem is not resolved, the student should request a review by the senior college officer in the division in which the contested record is kept. If a resolution is reached, the office will correct or amend the record as necessary. Corrections and amendments will be made within a reasonable period of time.

If a review with the senior college officer does not resolve the problem, the student may submit a written request to the Student Rights Committee of the Hood College Student Government Association (or, in the case of graduate students, the Graduate Appeals Committee) for a hearing.

Hearing procedures, established by the Student Rights Committee (or Graduate Appeals Committee), will take place within a reasonable period of time following the request; be conducted by the Student Rights Committee (or Graduate Appeals Committee) and by a College official appointed by the President of the College; grant the student a full and fair opportunity to present evidence relevant to the issue; and render a written decision within a reasonable period of time after the conclusion of the hearing.

If the problem is still unresolved, the student may appeal to the President of the College. Final decisions will be based on the evidence presented at the hearing and will include a written statement summarizing the evidence and stating the reasons for the decision, with copies delivered to all parties concerned. If the decision is in favor of the student, the College will correct or amend any record. If the decision is not in favor of the student, the appropriate official must inform the student that:

  • The student has the right to include with the record a statement explaining the student’s objections to the information in the record or to the decision of the hearing panel. If the student chooses to place such a statement in the record, the written statement of the decision of the Student Rights Committee (or Graduate Appeals Committee) or the President will also be included in the record.
  • The statement placed in the record by the student and by the Student Rights Committee (or Graduate Appeals Committee) will be maintained as part of the record for as long as the record is held by the College.
  • This record, when disclosed to an authorized party, must include the statements filed by the student and by the Student Rights Committee (or the Graduate Appeals Committee) or the President of the College.

Back to the top


To maintain good public relations with neighbors of the College, students are requested to use public streets and walks for campus access and to avoid shortcuts through the property of College neighbors.

Unauthorized persons who do not have business at the College or who are not guests of members of the College community may be subject to questioning or removal by Campus Safety officers.

Swimming in an unattended pool is considered trespassing. Trespassers will be arrested. Students receiving trespassing citations (on College property or on neighbors’ property) will also be subject to disciplinary sanctions and fines (see Appendix A: Code of Conduct).


Operation of a motor vehicle on campus is a privilege. All drivers must recognize the campus-wide speed limit of 15 mph. Maryland Motor Vehicle Code is applicable on all campus roads and parking lots, and drivers must obey all traffic signs.


Students, faculty and staff who wish to park a motor vehicle or bike on Hood College property (including commuter students and residents of the Apartments) must register it with the Department of Campus Safety and Security and have a vehicle registration hang tag or bicycle registration sticker displayed. Any vehicle requiring a state license tag is considered to be a motor vehicle. Vehicles must be registered within the first 48 hours after arriving on campus, or before the end of the following academic day. Please contact the Department of Campus Safety and Security regarding problems meeting this deadline. Vehicles may be ticketed for non-registration.

Vehicle Registration

Any vehicle parked on campus must be registered. Registration is free. Students must log into Hood College Self Service to initiate the vehicle registration process. The hang tag will be dispensed from the Communication Center when the student presents the printed receipt confirming the registration process has been completed in Self Service. The Communication Center is located in Whitaker and is open 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Vehicles registered for the regular academic year do not require a separate hang tag for the summer session. The parking hang tag should be returned to the Department of Campus Safety and Security prior to the sale or trade of any vehicle.

Bicycle Registration

Bicycles stored/parked on campus in or outside the residence halls must be registered by completing the Bicycle Registration form via Hood College Self Service. Bicycles are to be registered just like vehicles but instead of a hang tag, the Department of Campus Safety and Security will issue a bicycle registration sticker. Registration requires the owner’s name, address and cell number and pertinent information about the bicycle such as make, color and serial number.

Hood College encourages the use of bicycles and there is no charge for bicycle registration. The sticker should be placed on the top of the bike in a visible location near the handlebars. Bike racks are provided throughout the campus for securing bikes. It is not permissible to secure bikes to light posts, ramps, railings, etc. Bikes found secured in that manner will have the lock cut and the bike will be removed. While riding your bike please abide by the Maryland Bicycle Safety laws, accessible via the following link: Maryland Department of Transportation Bicycle Safety.


When a student, faculty or staff member brings an unregistered vehicle on a weekend or holiday, the owner or person who is responsible for the vehicle must obtain a temporary permit from the Communications Center in the Whitaker Campus Center.


Visitor parking passes are available at the Communications Center. Students, faculty and staff members are expected to advise their guests that they will need a visitor pass to park on campus. Faculty and staff members coordinating workshops should make special arrangements with the Department of Campus Safety and Security. When a large number of special guests are expected on campus, the President of the College may authorize parking without registration or visitor passes.


Vehicle registration authorizes the registrant to park on campus. However, it does not guarantee a parking space, which is on a space-available basis. The campus is posted with the parking requirements. These rules can also be found on the Campus Safety and Security website.

When a snow emergency is declared by the city of Frederick, all parking restrictions except parking in a fire lane and parking on the grass will be suspended for the day, allowing both registered and unregistered faculty, staff and student vehicles to park on campus.


Individuals violating the regulations listed below will be ticketed. Fines are paid at the Accounting Office. Persons not paying their fine within 14 days of the issuance are subject to a $2 late fee. To ensure collection of fines, the Registrar’s Office will hold grades and withhold registration opportunities for returning students who have not paid their fines from the previous semester. The Registrar’s Office may withhold diplomas and official transcripts for graduating students. Campus Safety officers are not authorized to revoke, rescind or alter any ticket. Violations include, but are not limited to:

  • Parking in prohibited areas (see Towing below)
  • Speeding and other moving violations
  • Failure to display registration hang tag
  • Traveling the wrong way on a one-way street
  • Improper parking
  • Throwing litter from a car window
  • Invalid or no registration hang tag
  • Improper registration (hang tag on vehicle to which it is not registered)


Any moving violation.................................$30
Fire lane ....................................................$30
Handicapped zone....................................$55
Improper parking......................................$25
Loading zone ............................................$25
No valid registration .................................$25
No parking zone........................................$25
Parking on the grass ................................$25


Although many drivers who receive parking tickets automatically appeal them, there are a limited number of legitimate reasons for granting a parking ticket appeal, and if your appeal does not fall within one of these categories, it may not be granted.

  • If the ticket was issued incorrectly.
  • A REAL hardship or emergency existed and you were unable to contact Campus Safety and Security.
  • Officer error.
  • Legitimate visitors - one warning.
  • No exceptions for H/P, Fire Lane or Loading Dock violations.
  • Hang tag could not be seen, but was there.
  • Inclement road or weather conditions.

You have the right to contest a citation through a “Letter of Appeal” addressed to the Chief of Campus Safety and Security, to be submitted within two weeks of the date of offense. A Hood College Citation is a notice of privately sanctioned penalties which does not release you from possible state citations and penalties.

NOTE: Every appeal is subject to a verification of the facts. All appeals must be filed within 14 days of issuance. After that time, the right to appeal is forfeited.


The College has the authority to remove a vehicle, by towing or otherwise, to an established garage or parking lot for storage if the vehicle is unauthorized, unregistered or parked in violation of parking regulations. Parking restrictions include blocking walks, crosswalks, driveways, loading zones, fire lanes, fire hydrants, the normal flow of traffic, parking on the grass or other unpaved areas, and parking where prohibited by a posted sign or yellow line or curb. An attempt will be made to contact the owner or driver before a tow truck is called, if time permits. The owner will be liable for the cost of removal and storage, and until payment of such cost, the garage or storage lot may retain possession of the vehicle subject to a fine for the amount due. Once a tow truck has been summoned, the owner or driver of the vehicle is responsible for the towing charges. Hood College is not responsible for any damage incurred during towing or storage of any vehicle.


The College is not responsible for damage to, or thefts of, vehicles or articles left in vehicles, including any damage due to weather-related incidents. On occasion, Campus Safety officers or other College personnel are asked to assist with a disabled vehicle. Hood College and employees cannot be held responsible for damage, which may occur while assisting motorists. Please report any vandalism or thefts to the Department of Campus Safety and Security or to the College telecommunication officer immediately.


Students, faculty and staff may use College-leased vehicles when conducting College business, participating in academic or student organization activities or sponsoring an educational trip. College vehicles may be reserved by academic departments and recognized student organizations. At least one College official or faculty or staff member must accompany students on trips when a college leased vehicle is used for transportation.

Overnight trips scheduled by student organizations must receive approval by the Vice President for Student Life and Dean of Students and the Senior Vice President for Finance and Administration prior to the trip.

To drive a Hood College van you must be at least 21 years of age, provide a copy of a valid driver’s license and sign a Transportation Authorization Form at least 10 days prior to the scheduled trip.

The user of a College vehicle must leave the vehicle clean, filling the gas tank prior to returning to campus and ensuring that the registration card is in the vehicle. Approved uses of College vehicles include:

1. College Business

  • Transportation of College guests to and from airports, railroad or bus terminals.
  • Transportation of representatives of the College to and from events as requested by the College (events may include conferences, college nights, Hood clubs, etc.).
  • Use by administrative departments for official business.

2. Student Activities

  • Organizations may reserve a College vehicle for sponsored trips that are registered through the Office of Student Engagement in accordance with applicable policies. Vans may only be driven by approved student drivers in a 375 mile radius. Exceptions may be made by appealing to the Director of Student Engagement & Orientation, the Dean of Students or Campus Safety and Security.

3. Academic

  • Transportation of class members and faculty to and from field trips; visits to project sites by student organizations must be registered through the Office of Student Engagement in accordance with applicable policies.
  • Transportation of students to and from official test centers (centers for Graduate Record Examinations, Civil Service Examinations, etc.)
  • Transportation as required for community service projects sponsored by campus organizations or academic departments.

Reservations for the use of College vehicles should be made via: Hood College Transportation Services. A list of passengers going on field trips or organizationsponsored trips must be submitted to the Communications Center. Upon returning a College vehicle, the driver will be asked to note any repairs needed.

Keys for College vehicles may be picked up from the Communications Center upon presenting the application form. Keys and mileage forms should be returned to the Communications Center upon return.


To arrange for group bus transportation, a representative of the office or organization sponsoring the trip must complete the online registration form by accessing: Hood College Transportation Services. The cost will be charged to the office or organization sponsoring the trip, and at least one College official or faculty or staff member must accompany students on the bus. Additional information is available in the Student Organization Handbook.

Back to the top


Firearms are prohibited on campus. In accordance with Maryland State Law, no person outside of law enforcement officials may have in their possession or use any firearm, loaded or unloaded. In some cases replica weapons or unloaded firearms may be used as part of classroom instruction providing the weapon has been inspected, recorded and approved by the Chief of Campus Safety and Security. In addition, students on campus or in College-leased housing may not have hunting knives, ammunition, bows and arrows or any other items classified as weapons. Students are prohibited from having any type of these weapons or look-alike replicas in their possession on campus or in College-leased housing.

Devices used to shoot a projectile, such as paintball guns and spring or air guns, are strictly prohibited. Using an item that has the appearance of any of the above devices is not permitted. All such items will be confiscated.

No member of the College community may sell, explode or cause to explode any combustible or explosive composition or substance or any combination of such compositions or substances or any other articles, which are prepared for the purpose of producing a visible or audible effect by combustion, explosion, deflagration or detonation. Possession of any prohibited item will result in a fine, confiscation and when applicable, disciplinary sanctions through the Student Conduct System that may include loss of the privilege to live in College housing (see Appendix A: Code of Conduct).


To withdraw from the College, a student must file a Withdrawal from the College form available in the Registrar’s Office, participate in an Exit Interview and return any room keys that have been assigned. All financial obligations to the College must be paid before transcripts can be released.



The Center for Academic Achievement and Retention (CAAR) is located on the third floor of Rosenstock and serves the entire Hood community. Staff members assist students in becoming more effective and efficient learners and offer services to all who wish to improve their academic skills and ability to learn. Students experiencing difficulties in academic courses are urged to contact CAAR at (301) 696-3569 regarding tutoring and other supports as early in the semester as possible.

CAAR provides the following forms of support for Hood students:

  • Coordination of the First and Second Year Advising Program
  • Evaluation and improvement of basic academic skills for undergraduate students, including placement testing and GNST courses
  • Individualized academic support for students encountering particular academic difficulty through the Academic Recovery Program
  • Coordination of disability services for graduate and undergraduate students
  • Coordination of the Portfolio Advantage Program
  • Coordination of tutoring in math, writing, and many other subjects. Individual tutoring is available to all Hood students at no additional cost; please visit CAAR for more information about available tutoring and to sign up for help writing papers or studying math.

In CAAR, tutors

  • Clarify assignments
  • Suggest approaches to solving math problems
  • Suggest ways to improve papers that students are writing
  • Support the Honor Code

Tutors cannot:

  • Do students’ homework for them
  • Help with take-home tests


Students who have a documented disability are asked to make an appointment with the Disability Services Coordinator (301-696-3421) prior to or at the start of the semester. Early notification prevents delays in service and ensures the student full access to educational activities. Copies of all medical or psychological evaluations are required. Students with disabilities of a medical nature may be referred to the Director of Health Services.


A BB&T ATM, accessible 24 hours a day, is located in the Whitaker Campus Center next to the Blazer.


See Financial Aid in the Services section of Handbook.


The Department of Campus Safety and Security is on the second floor of Whitaker Campus Center and the Communications Center, which supports Campus Safety and Security dispatch functions, is located on the first floor of the Whitaker Campus Center. Patrol and telecommunications officers are on duty 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Situations involving a possible crime, hazards, theft, vandalism, trespassing or suspicious activity should be reported immediately in the following ways:

  1. Use a red emergency phone and report the problem to the Communications Center.
  2. Dial “0” from any campus phone and report the problem to the Communications Center. Emergencies should be called in on x3111 from any campus phone and 301-696-3111 from a cell phone.
  3. Use an outdoor blue light emergency phone and report the problem to the Communications Center. Please see Emergency Phones Section for locations.
  4. Report the problem directly to a Campus Safety officer.

The following precautions will improve the overall security on campus:

  1. Lock office and resident hall doors, even when leaving for a brief time.
  2. In offices, remove purses and valuables from view and secure them in a safe place. Keeping purses and brief cases under a desk is not recommended.
  3. Do not leave valuable items such as books, backpacks, purses, laptop computers and briefcases unattended.
  4. Do not leave clothing, stereos, MP3 players, sporting equipment and other valuables visible inside a parked car.
  5. Bicycles should be locked when not in use and should not be left unattended. All bicycles must be registered and must display the official Hood College registration sticker, available at no cost at the Communications Center located in the Whitaker Campus Center.
  6. Walk in pairs at night.
  7. Have a partner inside the building when working late.
  8. If you notice someone behaving in a suspicious manner, report what you see to Campus Safety and Security.
  9. Make a list of all your valuables, including makes, models and serial numbers, and store this information in a safe place.
  10. If requested, Campus Safety officers will provide escort services for students, faculty, staff and guests on campus.


Through the Campus Safety Bike Program, students can use a bike for up to four hours at a time, free of charge. Two men’s bikes and two women’s bikes are available and are high quality, sturdy, and easy to ride. Helmets are also available and although it is not required, riders are encouraged to wear them. Cable locks are provided for securing the bikes.

The bikes can be signed out at the switchboard office in the Whitaker Campus Center. You will need to bring an ID with you for sign out and are expected to return the bikes on time and in the same condition for the next rider. These bikes are available for students from 7 a.m. until 7 p.m. daily.


The mission of the Catherine Filene Shouse Career Center for Career Development and Experiential Education is to assist members of the Hood College community in the continuous development of career goals, pathways and skills, and to foster learning through service to others. We achieve this through partnering with internal and external colleagues to provide professional, real world and supportive career services and community service opportunities designed to meet the changing needs of our constituents and community.


Students are welcome to make an appointment with a career counselor to discuss career plans, review résumés and cover letters, talk about interviewing skills, investigate career options, and much more. Appointments are available year round by calling 301-696-3583. Career Counselors welcome questions via e-mail and can be reached at:


Hood encourages students in every academic discipline to complement their academic studies with experiential learning in a professional setting. The Career Center will assist students in identifying appropriate internship sites and assist them in the process of obtaining an internship. Hood’s longstanding relationship with the Frederick business community and its close proximity to Baltimore and Washington, D.C., allows for many exciting and worthwhile internship experiences.


The Center for Career Development and Experiential Education has resources available to assist members of the Hood Community in identifying and assessing educational and career options. For freshman and sophomores we encourage them to take advantage of FOCUS - 2, an online selfdirected career planning system. It will help them make informed decisions about what major to choose and career path to follow. For juniors and seniors the MyersBriggs Type Inventory is available online and can be assessed after meeting with a career counselor. The Center for Career Development and Experiential Education also has resource books and one-on-one career counseling.


Linked-2-Work is an online database listing all full and part time job opportunities and internships available to Hood students, alumnae and alumni. Linked-2-Work is updated daily with job and internship opportunities. It is a free service and can be found at Career Center and Office of Service Learning.


Career counselors are available to meet one-on-one with students to conduct practice interviews and provide constructive feedback. Mock interviews provide participants with a chance to practice their interviewing skills in a low-stress environment. All students, regardless of age or background, are encouraged to complete a mock interview prior to a job search.


First impressions do count when you are trying to find a job or internship. How you present yourself to a prospective employer through your cover letter and résumé will, more often than not, determine if you are called for an interview. The Center for Career Development and Experiential Education staff welcomes the opportunity to meet with students to review their résumés and cover letter. The Career Center website also provides an online résumé tutorial, and a number of online resources to assist you in writing your résumé and cover letters as well as sample résumés.


The Career Center will assist you in the application process of applying to graduate, law or medical schools. Assistance is provided through individual counseling and in collaboration with your faculty advisor.


The Center for Career Development and Experiential Education website offers resources featuring career assessments, résumé and interview assistance, job and internship listings, career-related events and much more!


  • Individual appointments for students interested in exploring community service opportunities
  • Books on volunteering, service learning and related topics are available for loan
  • Contact information on local and regional community service opportunities
  • Resources on national and international community service opportunities
  • Information on Community Scholar volunteer opportunities
  • Speakers and programs including the Social Visionary Speaker series
  • Annual Community Service Fair to introduce students to the wealth of area service opportunities
  • Opportunities to participate in community service projects and other training


Commuter students are an important part of the Hood community. Following are services specific to Commuter Life.


The Commuter Lounge has several bulletin boards where information about commuter and campus-wide events is posted. Check the bulletin board in the commuter lounge for upcoming commuter specific events.


The Whitaker Campus Center houses the Commuter Lounge, a full-service ATM, post office, bookstore, Student Organization offices, The Blazer snack bar, information desk, copy machine, outdoor patio area and other offices for campus-wide organizations. Administrative offices located in the Whitaker Campus Center include Campus Safety and Security, Student Engagement and Orientation, Diversity and Inclusion, International Student Services, and Residence Life and Student Conduct.


The Commuter Lounge located in the Whitaker Campus Center has cozy seats, quiet study areas and comfortable couches for lounging. The lounge, open 24 hours a day, also has lockers, a television, computers, printer and a kitchen complete with a microwave, refrigerator and disposable plates, utensils and cups. Food can be stored in the refrigerator, which is cleaned out every Friday afternoon. Please make sure food is clearly labeled. Often there is “community food” available for anyone to use. These items will be clearly marked. To help ensure the lounge remains a quiet area for study, students wishing to play video games are encouraged to use the Game Room on the lower level of Coblentz.

Children under the age of 16 cannot use the commuter lounge unless they are an enrolled student or are under the direct supervision of a commuter student.


The Commuter Council is the organization that represents Commuter Students. The chair of the Commuter Council is a member of the Hood College Student Government Association Executive Board. The Commuter Council advocates for and provides services and programming for commuter students. Current copies of the Commuter Council Constitution are available in the Office of Student Engagement.


Commuter students may request a campus mailbox. Request forms are available at the Post Office window. For more information, see Post Office, Services section of Handbook.


See Inclement Weather, Policies section of Handbook.


There is a dedicated Commuter Computer Lab located in the Commuter Lounge of the Whitaker Campus Center. There are also 24-hour labs in the Apple Resource Center, Hodson and Rosenstock Halls, which commuters are encouraged to use. The Whitaker Campus Center has a wireless Network connection. Visit the IT page of the Hood College Website for the current password to access the network.


Commuter students can have money credited to their ID card in Coblentz Dining Hall, which can then be used at either The Blazer snack bar or Coblentz Dining Hall. For further information call (301) 696-3988 and/or see Dining Services, Services section of Handbook


See Identification Cards, Services section of Handbook.


Commuter lockers are free of charge and available on a first come first serve basis for the period of one academic year or two summer sessions. Locker assignments and keys can be obtained from the Student Life Suite, located on the second floor of Whitaker Campus Center. Installation of personal locks on lockers is prohibited. See Keys - Commuter Locker Keys, policies sections of the handbook.


See Automobile Regulations, Polices section of Handbook.


See Wellness Center, Services section of Handbook.


The Dean of Students Office supports the mission of the College through strategic planning initiatives that enhance the quality of student life. The staff is committed to providing co-curricular experiences that promote scholarship, service and respect for diversity in a challenging and inclusive environment. Programs and services are designed to retain students and to encourage student leadership, development and lifelong learning.

Working collaboratively with other divisions of the College, the Dean’s Office holds primary responsibility for the overall management of programs and services of the Athletic Department, Office of Student Success and Retention, Department of Campus Safety and Security, Office of the Dean of the Chapel, Commuter Life Office, Office of Residence Life and Student Conduct, Office of Diversity and Inclusion, Office of International Student Services, Office of Student Engagement and Orientation, Wellness Center (Counseling and Health Services) and the Media Board. The Dean of Students also advises the Hood College Student Government Association (SGA). Through the programs and services of these offices, students are offered a plethora of opportunities for personal and professional growth.


The Blazer

The Blazer is located in the Whitaker Campus Center and is open Monday through Friday for breakfast, lunch, dinner and late night. It is also open Sunday evenings. Cash and debit or credit cards are accepted for payment in addition to Blazer Bucks and Flex dollars.

Blazer Bucks and Flex Dollars

Students, faculty, staff, and commuters may credit money to their campus ID card for use at the Blazer or Coblentz Dining Hall. Blazer Bucks/Flex dollars may be purchased online at Hood College Dining Services or at the Dining Service Office located in Coblentz Hall. Flex dollars added are good from semester to semester. No refunds of flex dollars are permitted.

Residential students have a certain amount of Blazer Bucks automatically added to their ID cards each semester, depending upon which meal plan they have chosen. Residential student Blazer Bucks must be used on a semester basis; any unused Blazer Bucks are forfeited at the end of the semester for which they are issued.

The Dining Hall

Hood College Food Service provides regular meals in Coblentz Dining Hall, located on the main floor of Coblentz Hall, for residential students. The current dining hall hours can be found at Hood College Dining Services. The Hood ID card provides access to the Dining Hall. One may not enter the Dining Hall without swiping the Hood ID card at the cashier. No exceptions will be made. Other members of the College community may eat in the Dining Hall on a fee-per-meal basis. Commuters, faculty and staff are welcome to purchase meals in the Dining Hall by paying the cashier at the door or by purchasing credits on their Hood ID cards.

Residents and other members of the College community may also bring escorted guests to meals. Anyone bringing more than 15 guests to a regular meal must make an advance reservation in the Office of Student Engagement. Only guests who pay for a meal are allowed entry into the Dining Hall; guests who intend to visit only must do so elsewhere.

Utensils, china and other items may not be taken from the Dining Hall without permission of the food service director. Food may not be taken from the Dining Hall. Diners must wear shoes and clothing, which covers the body while in the Dining Hall.

Meals to Go

Students are encouraged to dine in whenever possible for the best dining and social experience; however, the Meals to Go Program is designed to provide the opportunity to enjoy a healthy, well-balanced meal at the outdoor seating area or other campus location. This carry-out option is offered as a courtesy. If you would like your meal to go, you must notify the cashier as you enter the dining hall. The cashier will provide a carry-out box and will hold your ID while you select your meal. You may not take a seat in the dining hall once you have your carry-out box; if you do, you will be charged a meal swipe or your meal plan or Flex funds will be debited at the casual door price rate. Only one beverage cup is allowed and it must be used for beverages only. The carry-out box must be fully closed when you leave (no filling up the lid and base separately). The contents must constitute a meal, not bulk quantities of single items. You must dine-in at Coblentz to take advantage of the all-you-care to eat program. Failure to follow these rules will result in the forfeiture of your carry-out privileges.

Meals for Sick Students

Upon request, with a note from the Health Center, take-out meals will be provided to residential students who are ill and cannot make it to the dining hall. Residential students should send a room or hall mate to pick up the meal(s).

Bag Meals

The Dining Hall can provide bag meals for residential students who are unable to eat one or more meals in the Dining Hall during regular hours for academic reasons (i.e., for credit course activities such as internships, student teaching, field trips). Students should contact the Checker Station in the Dining Hall to sign up for bag meals (regular or one-time only). There is no extra charge to residential students for this service. Bag meals for residential students will not be provided for personal, nonacademic reasons, such as off-campus employment, departure for home or other obligations.


Hood College Food Service has exclusive rights to all catering on campus. Dining Service can provide a wide variety of options for all catering needs anywhere on campus, from the simple to the complex. For rates and more information, please contact the Catering Director at 301-696-3986.


The Duplicating Office serves the copying and printing needs of the Hood College community, including academic and administrative departments and the student government association. Originals should be of good quality with high contrast and ready to print. PDF documents can be submitted for duplicating on CD, zip disc or emailed to Allow additional production time for high volume or custom work. Routine work orders, available in paper form or on the College’s Website, should be submitted at least 24 hours before the work is needed. Duplicating work requests and price information can be obtained from Duplicating Services in Gambrill Gymnasium, Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., on the Duplicating Services page of the College’s Website or by e-mail at


The Office of Financial Aid is available to assist students with questions about financing their education. In addition, the Office of Financial Aid coordinates all student campus employment. Please refer to the Financial Aid entry in the Administrative Policies and Procedures section of this planner and/or contact the Office of Financial Aid for further information.


The Department of Campus Safety and Security, located on the second floor of Whitaker Campus Center, issues ID cards. After normal business hours, please stop by the Communication Center on the first floor of the Whitaker Campus Center for assistance. ID cards are required to borrow books and other related materials from the library, use the aquatics center, gain admission to certain campus activities, etc. New students are issued a Hood ID when they check in at the beginning of a semester. ID cards must be shown to College officials when requested. Residential students should carry their IDs at all times, as it doubles as a keycard to their residence hall. To obtain an ID card, students must present a verification of registration issued by the Registrar’s Office. The first ID card is free. Replacement cards are $30. In the case of lost cards, please notify the Department of Campus Safety and Security as soon as possible so that the card can be invalidated and a new one issued. For more information on ID cards, see Identification Cards and Identification Upon Request, Policies section of Handbook


All Hood students are assigned their own network account. This account is used for e-mail, Internet access and access to the Hood campus-wide information systems (i.e. Self Service and Blackboard). New students receive their account information by mail prior to the start the semester. Students needing IT assistance should contact End User Computing via or (301) 696-3622. Many administrative and academic offices at Hood disseminate information electronically to the Hood assigned e-mail address. However, you are permitted to forward Hood e-mail to an alternate e-mail address. Students must check their Hood email accounts regularly (daily is recommended) and are responsible for all information disseminated electronically.


Coming to a new country and being away from home can be both an exciting and challenging experience. The Office of International Student Services offers programs and services to help students address many of these concerns while studying at Hood College. The staff is available to help students transition to their new surroundings, support academic and personal goals and understand cultural adjustment issues. Programs and services provided by the office include immigration advising for international students, host family placements, multicultural/international buddies and cross cultural activities. In addition, the staff provides assistance for students seeking social security cards, MVA identification cards, health insurance information and IRS tax forms and completion. In addition, a comprehensive orientation for international students is held at the start of each semester. Topics discussed include issuance of I-20, re-entry into U.S., reinstatement, school transfers, change of nonimmigrant status, program extension, Curricular Practical Training and Optional Practical Training.


International students are responsible for abiding by the laws that govern their student visa status. The Director of International Student Services is available to answer any questions and help students understand these regulations set forth by the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services, the government agency responsible for enforcing immigrant laws. Breaking an immigration law is a very serious violation that can result in falling “out of status.” Students are strongly encouraged to speak to the Director of International Student Services for any questions or concerns regarding these matters.


The Beneficial-Hodson Library and Information Technology Center supports scholarship at Hood College by serving the research, teaching, and learning needs of students and faculty. The Library is located conveniently near the academic buildings on campus and online through the library’s home page ( From the website, students can access full-text scholarly journals, magazines, newspapers, electronic books, and other digital content. In addition to the 170,000+ volumes housed in the library, Hood students and faculty have access to print materials at other area universities through the library’s membership in the Maryland Interlibrary Consortium (MIC). Materials borrowed through MIC arrive within 24-48 hours. For materials held outside MIC, the library has a robust interlibrary loan program, which facilitates borrowing from libraries across the country. Students have a choice 52 of study environments in the library. Study carrels, computer stations, lounge chairs, and large tables offer varied set-tings for individual study. The library also has a number of group study rooms available; some offer small, intimate spaces, while others offer large collaborative spaces. Knowledgeable and friendly library staff are available to assist students, through inperson sessions, both walk-in and by appointment, or virtually through text messaging, instant messaging, email, and tele-phone. Subject-specific research guides are available on the library website, as well as citation guidelines, copyright and privacy policies, and other instructional tools. Group library instruction is provided by the reference staff both in the classroom and in the library computer lab. Faculty may arrange information literacy sessions at any time during the year. Students also have the opportunity to explore and conduct research on Hood College history, through historical school records, photo-graphs, and related documents held in the Hood College Special Collections and Archive, located on the 2nd floor. The Hood History Museum showcases Hood’s past for current students, prospective students, alumni, and the general public. Library hours vary to accommodate campus needs throughout the year. The hours can be found on the website at


Losses should be reported immediately to the Communications Center. In the case of theft, forced entry or a loss of value, call the Communications Center and request the presence of a Campus Safety officer immediately. The Residence Life Area Coordinator should be notified if the loss occurs in a residence hall. Found articles should be given directly to the Department of Campus Safety and Security. At the end of the academic year, items left in a student’s room (other than clothing, which is donated to charity) are held for a brief time in the Lost and Found. Lost and found items are handled by the Department of Campus Safety and Security. To retrieve or turn in an item, check with the Communication Center on the first floor of the Whitaker Campus Center.

The College shall not be liable directly or indirectly for loss or damage to personal property by fire, theft or any other cause. Each student is encouraged to review her or his family personal property insurance coverage or purchase renter’s insurance. The College is not responsible for any vehicle, registered or unregistered, or its contents while parked on College property, nor is the College responsible for damages that may result from improper towing or storage of parked vehicles. Cars should be locked at all times.


See Telephone Service, Services section of Handbook.


All residential students have individual mailboxes at the College’s post office, located in the Whitaker Campus Center. Mailboxes are available to part-time and commuter students upon request. Mailboxes are used for delivery of U.S. mail and for intracampus mail. Students are assigned mailboxes in the fall for the entire academic year and may pick up their mailbox assignments at the post office window. It is important that the mailbox combination be kept in a safe place. If the combination is lost or forgotten, please see the post office staff for assistance. Mail to anyone at Hood should be addressed as follows: Hood College, First and Last Name, 401 Rosemont Avenue, Box XXX Frederick, MD 21701-8524. The post office window is open for service Monday through Friday from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.

In order to comply with the U.S. Postal Regulations, the following policies are in force:

  • Only authorized personnel are allowed in the area where mail is being handled.
  • Mail (except newspapers) that arrives during a break is held until classes resume. First-class mail will be forwarded during winter break and during the summer.
  • Magazines are forwarded for two months at no charge.
  • Mailboxes are assigned to students at the beginning of each academic year. Firstclass mail or mail of obvious value that is received after the end of the academic year will be forwarded. The forwarding service continues until the beginning of the next academic year.
  • No one is permitted to pick up another person’s mail unless authorized.
  • Full-time commuting students are assigned a mailbox by request only.
  • Students are asked to empty boxes regularly. Boxes are to be kept intact.
  • Mailbox assignments are given out at the beginning of a student’s first year, and the same box is assigned to the student the entire time he or she attends the College. It is important to keep track of and/or remember the assigned box number and combination.
  • UPS and FedEx Ground (large packages) deliver to the Post Office in the Whitaker Center; FedEx Express delivers to the Communications Center in the Whitaker Center.



The Hood College Catalog contains academic and other policies and a description of the curricula. A course schedule for each semester is available online and contains a list of courses offered, as well as the time, place and instructor for each.


The Student Handbook contains College policies and procedures governing student life and is published each year by the Dean of Students Office.


The Student Government Association’s Constitution and Election Code are reviewed each year by the Dean of Students Office, the Office of Student Engagement and Student Government Association. This group also jointly reviews information related to the Honor System.


The Student Organization Handbook is published each year by the Office of Student Engagement and Orientation.


The Office of the Dean of the Chapel offers spiritual support to all members of the Hood community. Opportunities for worship, religious and spiritual education, spiritual exploration and individual pastoral care are provided every semester. Christian worship services are held in Coffman Chapel during the week throughout the fall and spring semesters. Holiday services such as Ash Wednesday, Holy Thursday and a Christmas Vespers program are also offered throughout the year. The Dean of the Chapel works with student-led faith groups to offer opportunities for study, community service and celebration for a variety of religious and spiritual tradi- tions. For example, Hashanah and Purim for the Jewish community, Diwali and Holi for the Hindu community, and Eid observances for the Muslim community. On campus faith groups include the Muslim Student Association (MSA), Hillel/Jewish Student Association, Catholic Campus Ministry, Inter-Varsity Christian Fellowship, Fellowship of Christian Athletes (FCA) and Young Life. Groups for Buddhist, Secular Humanist and other traditions form depending on student interest and leadership. All of these groups hold services and events that are open to the Hood community.

Many students worship and participate in local congregations. Frederick and the greater Washington region have a rich variety of options - churches, synagogues, temples, mosques, and sanghas that welcome Hood students. Many are within an easy walking distance of the campus. Students new to Hood are invited to request our help in locating supportive religious or spiritual communities. The McHenry Interfaith Meditation Room, in the basement of Coffman Chapel, is open to the Hood community of all spiritual traditions. A variety of study and fellowship groups are scheduled there every semester, including weekly meditation groups. For questions about religious life/spiritual enrichment at Hood or information about local faith communities, please contact the Dean of the Chapel at (301) 696-3436.

Back to the top


Living in a campus environment is one of the most challenging experiences of college life, one in which students will experience the stimulation, excitement and value of community living. Students will learn about themselves as adults as they clarify their goals and values, test new ideas and attitudes and hone interpersonal skills. Residential life at Hood encourages personal growth that balances and complements the academic experience. By involving themselves in the programs and activities sponsored by the residence hall staff, students can broaden their understanding of others, develop self-reliance and leadership skills and experience the cooperative and participative process that is the backbone of student leadership at Hood College.


Students are encouraged to work with one another to address concerns and solve problems. At the same time, often a third party is needed to help deal with these issues. Therefore, in addition to the Director of Residence Life and Student Conduct, the following staff support the mission of the Residence Life Office within the residence halls.

Resident Assistants (RAs)

RAs live on each residence hall floor and amongst the College-leased apartments, and are available to students who have personal or academic concerns, are having problems with their roommates or just need a helpful listening ear for advice, guidance or referral. They also plan programs, disseminate information and work to build a positive community on their floor or in the apartments by setting and enforcing behavioral expectations. The RAs are supervised by the Area Coordinators and the Assistant Director.

Head Resident Assistants (HRAs)

HRAs are lead staff members amongst the RA staff in each of the five buildings. In addition to fulfilling the same duties as an RA, HRAs are responsible for a variety of administrative tasks and provide an additional level of support to students beyond other members of the RA staff. HRAs assist Area Coordinators in advising House Council, facilitating Hall Meetings, and performing room inspections. The HRAs are supervised by the Area Coordinators and the Assistant Director.

Area Coordinators (ACs)

Two ACs live on campus and supervise the RAs and HRAs. ACs are responsible for the overall direction of their assigned residence halls and are charged with working to create a healthy, exciting and educational environment for the students living in their hall. Their responsibilities include community building, shaping positive student behavior, programming and student support, as well as supervising the building staff. Each AC is responsible for two on-campus residence halls. The ACs report to the Director of Residence Life and Student Conduct.

Assistant Director

The Assistant Director of Residence Life provides direction to the residential education components of the department, including staff training, leadership development and educational programming. The Assistant Director also directly supervises one oncampus residence hall and the College-leased housing areas (and the RAs therein), much as the ACs do in their assigned residence halls. The Assistant Director reports to the Director of Residence Life and Student Conduct.


Hood College encourages the conservation of electricity, heat and water. The following conservation measures help to protect our natural resources and save monetary resources.

  • Space heaters are not permitted in any building.
  • Windows and doors must remain closed in the winter to prevent cold air from lowering the building temperature and activating the heating system unnecessarily.
  • If unable to control heat due to defective radiator valves, students should notify their RA, who will submit a work order to the facilities department.
  • Avoid excessive use of hot water in kitchens and laundry rooms.
  • Use as little hot water as possible when bathing or showering.
  • Report all leaky water faucets (hot or cold) to an RA who will submit a work order to the facilities department.
  • Open shades, blinds and drapes during the day to benefit from solar heat, closing them at night to prevent heat loss.
  • Use all electrical appliances sparingly.
  • Turn off lights when not in use.


Residents must electronically submit Work Order Requests directly to the Facilities Department via an online form accessible from the Hood College website under Current Students and ApLinks.


In case of a utility outage or issue involving electrical, heating/cooling, no hot water, no water, or a sewage back-up, contact the following persons:

  • During regular business hours, contact Facilities at (301) 696-3452 (x3452 from a campus phone). After hours, call Campus Safety and Security at (301) 696- 3548 (“0” from a campus phone) and they will contact the appropriate Facilities personnel.
  • In the residence halls, a building staff member.



Coblentz, Memorial, Shriner and Smith Halls have elevators that are accessible to students. The elevator in Meyran Hall is for freight and temporary health-related needs only, and will remain offline throughout the academic year. Residence hall elevators will be available to all students during move-in and move-out periods at the beginning and end of each semester.


All necessary furnishings are supplied by the College and must remain in the student’s room. The College cannot store furniture for students, nor should College furniture be placed in hallways, empty rooms, common areas or residence hall storage rooms. Residents should bring their own blankets, pillows, bedspreads, mattress pads and other items of a personal nature.


Each residence hall has a kitchen equipped with dishes, utensils, pots and pans, a refrigerator/freezer, conventional oven, stove and microwave oven. Students are expected to clean the kitchen and wash any dishes after use. Failure to keep the kitchen in good order may result in closure by Residence Life staff.


Washers and dryers are available to the residents of each hall at no cost. Malfunctions should be reported to Facilities (or a Residence Life staff member) immediately. When removing someone else’s laundry, residents are expected to fold that person’s laundry if she/he is not present. Ironing boards are also located in the laundry rooms. Ironing clothes is permitted in laundry rooms only.


Each residence hall has a formal living room or reading room used as a study and meeting area for students. Each residence hall also has a less formal “social” lounge. Lounges are used for studying, meetings and informal gatherings. Living rooms and lounges are considered common areas for the use of all residential students and their guests. Reservations of residential spaces must be coordinated through Residence Life staff.


Each residence hall is furnished with a regular and/or digital piano. Residents are welcome to play the pianos in the residence halls. However, quiet hours must be observed and consideration of others must prevail. The residence hall is responsible for the care of its piano. Failure to take proper care of the instrument may result in its removal from the residence halls.


Vending machines offering a variety of food and drinks are located in most campus buildings and all residence halls, usually on the ground or basement level.


Governance of the residence halls is shared amongst the Office of Residence Life, the building staff, and the residents, who are represented by an elected House Council. Each House Council is composed of a president and vice president, along with the Resident Assistants, who serve as floor representatives. House Councils are responsible for programming activities and student advocacy. Duties of each office are outlined in a Hood College Student Government Association publication and in each residence hall constitution. Elections for House Council President and Vice President positions are held at the beginning of the fall semester.


The mission of the Office of Student Engagement and Orientation is to support and enhance the academic mission of the College through a variety of exciting cocurricular activities both on and off campus. Students may contact the Office of Student Engagement and Orientation to learn more about clubs and organizations on campus. The Office of Student Engagement and Orientation also provides support to clubs and organizations by providing resources, ideas and event planning material. Contact the Office of Student Engagement and Orientation for more information on activities, special trips and event planning. For updated information, visit the Student Engagement website.

Any student planning to hold an event, fundraiser or other activity on campus, or under Hood’s name off campus, should contact the Office of Student Engagement and Orientation in the Whitaker Campus Center for complete information on policies and procedures.


See Appendix C: Student Organization Recognition Policy.


For a complete and current listing of student organizations and student organization officers, stop by the Office of Student Engagement or visit the Student Organizations page on the Hood College website,

The following is a list of general categories of student organizations.

  • Academic and Departmental Organizations
  • Diversity Organizations
  • Media Organizations
  • Governing and Programming Organizations
  • Performance Organizations
  • Service Organizations
  • Common Interest Organizations
  • Spiritual and Faith Based Organizations
  • Advocacy Organizations



The Blue and Grey, Hood’s newspaper, is published six times a semester by its staff, which includes editors, writers, reporters, photographers, a Web manager and other contributors. Working on the paper gives students the opportunity to develop their writing, editing, publishing, and leadership skills. The experience is useful later when students are beginning their careers or applying to graduate school. Students interested in joining this student-run paper should contact the editors at


Wisteria, the student literary magazine, is published in the spring semester. It is entirely student-run, from submissions to review process to layout to distribution. Students interested in working on the magazine or who wish to submit poetry, fiction and artwork (photos, drawings, digitalized photos of three-dimensional art) should contact the editors at


Blazer Radio is Hood’s online radio station. New DJs are accepted at the beginning of fall and spring semesters. To check out our schedule and listen to programs, go to Blazer Radio. Students interested in being DJs or working with Blazer Radio can visit the same Blazer Radio website or call the Blazer Radio office at (301) 696-3825. Questions can be e-mailed to


Campus telephones include red emergency telephones in campus buildings, outside blue light emergency telephones, residence hall call boxes, and the regular College telephone system, which serves campus buildings and offices as well as the residence halls and houses. Each residence hall has several campus telephones, located in desk rooms and on each floor, for intra-campus and local calls. Calls within the College can be made directly by dialing the last four digits of the number assigned. To call local off-campus phone numbers, students must dial 9, the area code and the seven-digit telephone number.


These are found in every office on campus, in the Commuter Lounge, at the Information Desk in Whitaker Campus Center and on each residence hall floor. If a campus phone book is not handy, dial “0” and ask the operator for the extension of the person or office you wish to call. While on campus, dial the last four digits of a phone number to contact an office. Off campus, you must first dial the three-digit area code (301) and three-digit exchange (696): 301-696-xxxx.


In case of emergency, pick up the nearest red phone and tell the Communications Center the nature of the emergency. This service is offered 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Red phones are located in all residence halls, the Commuter Lounge, the Whitaker Campus Center, Gambrill Gymnasium, Wellness Center and Sports Medicine Center.


There are several outdoor emergency phones that give immediate access to the Communications Center: near the athletic fields, behind Alumnae House, behind Brodbeck Hall, in the Whitaker Campus Center parking lot, at the rear of Hodson Annex, behind Gambrill Gymnasium and along the West side of the residential quad.


A call box is located by the front door of each residence hall for the use of guests who wish to contact a resident of that hall. Visitors may use the call box to dial a student’s floor, and the student can then come to the front door to let her or his guest into the building. For emergencies, an emergency button on the call box accesses the Communications Center directly.


Vending machines offering a variety of food and drinks are located on campus in the following locations: Alumnae Hall, ground floor; Gambrill Gymnasium, first floor; Rosenstock Hall, ground floor; Hodson Science and Technology Center, first floor; Tatem Arts Center, ground floor; and in each residence hall. If you lose money in a campus vending machine, contact the Office of Conference Services at (301) 696-3750.

Back to the top


The Wellness Center houses both Health Services and Counseling Services, designed to support the physical and mental health and wellness of Hood students. The Wellness Center is open Monday through Friday during regular business hours when classes are in session. The Center is closed during mid-semester, winter and summer breaks. Students are seen by appointment or as walk-ins. Students are encouraged to schedule an appointment.

The Wellness Center is committed not only to the treatment of students but also to their education. It is a resource center for information regarding College-related health and wellness issues.

If you are in need of urgent health care and the Wellness Center is closed, you may go to the Frederick Immediate Care Center at 850 Oak Street or the Frederick Memorial Hospital Emergency Department.


Counseling Services has two licensed clinical staff to support students in realizing maximum benefit from both their academic and their out-of-class learning experiences. A consulting psychiatrist is available weekly for psychiatric evaluations and medication concerns after an initial meeting with a staff counselor.

Students should schedule appointments by phoning one of the counselors (x3440 or x3441), or come to the Wellness Center to be seen as soon as a counselor is available. Walk-in hours are available each day at 10:00 a.m. and 2:00 p.m.

Services provided include:

  • Brief, supportive counseling;
  • Crisis management based on counselor availability;
  • Psychiatric consultation;
  • Psychoeducational and support groups;
  • Self-help brochures and lending library;
  • Consulting and referral services;
  • Wellness programming to increase self-knowledge and teach skills that will enhance emotional well-being throughout life.


Health Services is an ambulatory facility staffed by two registered nurses. A physician and nurse practitioner provide ten hours of clinic time per week. The tuition fee covers health services. Special medications and laboratory tests not done in-house are charged at cost. Students who have not returned their required medical forms will receive emergency health services only until their forms have been received.

The services provided are:

  • General Primary Care: for acute, short-term medical problems;
  • Accident and Injuries: evaluation, treatment and/or referrals;
  • Physical Exams: for participation in College-sponsored programs;
  • Women’s Health: gynecological exam, birth control and pregnancy testing;
  • STD testing and treatment for men and women;
  • Referrals: made to laboratories, radiologists and specialists as necessary.


All students enrolled for the current semester are eligible for services at the Wellness Center. Graduate students may have one to two visits for consultation and referral for the purpose of identifying and clarifying problems, determining needs for treatment and identifying appropriate community resources. In non-emergency situations, these services are provided on a time-available basis, with priority given first to undergraduate student needs.


Medical and counseling sessions are confidential. Records of these sessions are separate from all other College records. Access to these records is limited to the appropriate professional staff. Information regarding treatment can only be released to appropriate health care professionals and only with the prior written consent of the student. Exceptions to this rule include the following:

  • When a student represents a threat to the safety or welfare of self or others, in the professional opinion of a counseling or health staff member, that professional must take action to reduce the risk of harm. Ordinarily, the professional will work with the student and together they will plan how to contain the risk. If the student refuses to cooperate, the professional will act to prevent the student from harming her or himself or others.
  • In case of an emergency, serious illness or injury, parents, spouses or other persons legally authorized to consent to treatment and reimbursement from health insurance carriers may be notified.
  • For students under the age of 18 who are still legal minors, parents or legal guardians may request information about the student’s counseling and medical care. In this situation, the parent or legal guardian would receive a summary statement.
  • Counselors are mandated by state and federal law to disclose information about child abuse or mistreatment of vulnerable adults to the appropriate protective agency.
  • Counseling and medical records can be subpoenaed.

When information is to be released, counseling and health staff will, whenever possible, work closely with the student to plan and implement the release of information. Except for the situations described above, information about the student is released only with the informed consent of the student. This means the student has freely given permission for information to be released and understands what information will be released, to whom and for what purpose.

For information on Hood College’s policy on communicable diseases, please see Hood College Staff Manual Section 303-Communicable Diseases.


The Whitaker Campus Center houses the Bookstore, The Blazer grill/snack bar, the campus Post Office, the Department of Campus Safety and Security, and the Commuter Lounge. The lounge is equipped with a television, kitchenette, lockers, computers and a printer for commuting students. The Student Life suite on the second floor of Whitaker houses the following administrative offices: Student Engagement and Orientation, Diversity & Inclusion, Residence Life and Student Conduct, and International Student Services. A variety of gathering spaces and study areas are also available to students and groups for events and meetings.

Back to the top

Back to the top



Hood College prepares students to excel in meeting the personal, professional and global challenges of the future. Hood is committed to the integration of the liberal arts, the professions and technology, to the exploration of values, a sense of community and to the preparation of students for lives of responsibility and leadership. Thus, as members of the Hood community, students are expected to adhere to standards of appropriate conduct as defined by College policy and local, state, and federal law.

Violation of any policy, procedure or law will result in disciplinary action, fines or arrest. Repeat or egregious offenses will receive stronger sanctions and/or higher fines. Students may lose the privilege of residing on campus or the ability to be enrolled in the College’s programs. Sanctions and fines may be given for infractions by the Dean of Students or designee, even if not explicitly stated in this Handbook or the College catalog. The Director of Residence Life and Student Conduct is the designee of the Dean for most student conduct matters and is vested with the authority to resolve cases of alleged misconduct and issue sanctions and fines within the authority granted by the Dean of Students. The Director of Residence Life and Student Conduct and/or Dean of Students may also assign or refer cases to other Student Life staff members or an appropriate hearing board (e.g., Conduct Hearing Board, College Grievance Board, etc.) for resolution; when such assignment is made the staff member or board may issue fines and sanctions within the authority granted. The process utilized for resolution is determined by the procedures applicable to the adjudicating board or officer, regardless of the potential violations involved and their respective location within the policy structure at the College. Students may be held accountable for conduct during their enrollment whether the conduct occurs on- or off-campus at the discretion of College officials.

Violators may be accountable to both civil and criminal authorities in addition to College disciplinary systems. Disciplinary action may proceed or remain pending during the progression of other proceedings (such as criminal proceedings) at the discretion of College officials.

For purposes of College policy, the terms “residential system” and “residential facility/ies” are understood to include all facilities where students are housed by the College, including College-leased facilities where students are housed, and the immediately surrounding grounds of such housing areas.

The College has the right and authority to determine the adjudication/resolution method and to combine adjudication/resolution of multiple matters within one judicial process, even if these matters are typically resolved through a particular process. For example, the College may process violations of any policy, rule or regulation related to student behavior through the Student Conduct System for formal disciplinary action even if said policy, rule, or regulation is not contained or referenced specifically in the “Code of Conduct.” Likewise, potential “Code of Conduct” violations may be referred to or assigned to other College judicial/disciplinary systems (for example, the College Grievance Board) for resolution, especially when the potential violations are part of an incident which involves multiple policies which are typically adjudicated by different systems.



The basic philosophy of the conduct system is one of education. It focuses on the growth and development of student potential through the encouragement of selfdiscipline and responsibility by fostering respect for the rights and privileges of others. Policies, rules, and regulations have been established by the College to assist in maintaining an optimal environment for students. These are published in this section, elsewhere in this Handbook, in the College Catalog and in the Housing and Food Service Contract.

Students are responsible for becoming familiar with all published materials and for abiding by them during their tenure at Hood. All members of the community also have the right and responsibility to confront others when aware they are not adhering to such regulations.

Due Process

Any member of the campus community may refer a matter to the Student Conduct System. This includes, but is not limited to, staff, faculty, and other students. The following is the process for resolution of such referrals:

  1. A formal incident report (complaint) is written by a member of the campus community and filed with the Dean of Students, Director of Residence Life and Student Conduct, Director of Campus Safety and Security or designee. All complaints filed must be in writing and contain, at a minimum, information sufficient to identify the accused and a clear statement explaining the nature of the complaint. Reports from apartment complex staff or management, neighbors, courtesy officers, and police regarding incidents taking place in College-leased housing are acceptable documentation from which action may result.
  2. The Dean of Students, Director of Residence Life and Student Conduct, or designee will review the complaint and determine if any potential policy violations exist. If potential violations exist, the matter may proceed through the Student Conduct System process (as specified below) or be referred to another process if appropriate (for example, cases involving alleged harassment or alleged sexual misconduct may be referred to the College Grievance Board).
  3. Within the Student Conduct System, the accused student(s) will be notified (in writing, by phone, or in person, as the situation warrants) that the complaint was filed if potential policy violations exist (when notified by email, the subject line will likely be “NOTICE OF JUDICIAL ACTION”); the accused student(s) will also be notified of the potential violations and the scheduled hearing details with the appropriate College official or judicial board. Failure to appear at the scheduled hearing may result in the hearing being held in the student’s absence. In this case, decisions will be made without the student’s input and may not be appealed.
  4. In most cases resolved through the Student Conduct System, an Area Coordinator, the Assistant Director of Residence Life, the Director of Residence Life and Student Conduct, or the Dean of Students will conduct the hearing to resolve alleged misconduct. Generally, violations of policy will be resolved through a oneon-one administrative hearing with a staff member. Occasionally, more than one staff member may participate in the hearing. More severe cases may be referred directly to the Conduct Hearing Board, a judicial board consisting of students and advised by the Director of Residence Life and Student Conduct.
  5. During the hearing (whether administrative or Conduct Hearing Board), the stu- dent will have the opportunity to discuss the complaint and alleged violations and explain his or her perception of the incident. Information gathered by staff members prior to the hearing may be presented to the student in the hearing. Possible sanctions may be discussed and reviewed during the hearing.
  6. Following the hearing, a letter outlining the findings will be sent to the student. The letter will indicate whether the student was, based on a preponderance of the evidence, found responsible or not responsible for each potential policy violation. If additional policy violations were discovered, a finding may also be issued on those violations. If the student is found responsible for any policy violations, the letter will outline sanctions and provide a deadline for the completion of the sanctions. In the event that the student is found not responsible for any policy violations, the letter will outline such and no sanctions will be issued.
  7. A letter may also be sent to parent(s)/guardian(s) when appropriate and to other members of the faculty and administration of the College as the situation warrants.


A student has the option to appeal a decision within the Student Conduct System. The student shall file a written notice of appeal with the appropriate party (see designation below). This notice must be filed within 5 business days of notice of the sanction and shall specify, in detail, the grounds upon which the appeal is based. Failure to file the aforementioned notice within the prescribed timeline constitutes a waiver of the right to appeal. A decision may be appealed on the following grounds:

  1. Substantive new evidence that was unknown to the accused at the time of the hearing and that may have had an impact on the outcome.
  2. Procedural error of fairness.
  3. Severity of sanction not consistent with severity of offense.

The guide below indicates to whom the appeal should be addressed: If the sanction was issued by:

AN AREA COORDINATOR OR ASSISTANT DIRECTOR, appeal to the Director of Residence Life and Student Conduct OR Conduct Hearing Board (the student’s choice should be specified or it is assumed the appeal is to the Director of Residence Life and Student Conduct.)

CONDUCT HEARING BOARD, appeal to the Dean of Students.


DEAN OF STUDENTS, appeal to the President of the College.

After a student has filed notice of appeal, the appeal officer or board will review the student’s request and notify the student of the outcome of the appeal. An additional or new hearing with the appeal officer or board is not automatically granted. The decision of the appeal officer or board is final (i.e. no further appeals are granted). Hood College also reserves the right to immediately sanction a student without following the above procedures if warranted and to adjudicate any case purely administratively; in the event that a student is deemed a danger to him/herself or to others, a summary decision may be issued, requiring the student to comply with sanctions (including suspension) immediately. A hearing will then be scheduled to resolve the incident. In the case of summary decisions imposed as the result of criminal charges, the summary decision may remain in effect until the matter is resolved both on and off campus.


The following sanctions may be imposed upon any student or group of students found in violation of any College policy. In every instance, the student will be informed, in writing, of the details of the sanction(s). Copies of this letter will be held by the Dean of Students Office and/or Office of Residence Life in a confidential disciplinary file. If the terms of any sanction imposed are not met, additional and more serious sanctions will be imposed and/or a hold may be placed on the student’s record until the sanction is complete. The College reserves the right to draw upon any and all available sanctions deemed appropriate and is in no way limited to the sanctions listed below. In most cases, a student is assigned one primary sanction and one or more supplemental sanctions at a time. In cases where more than one policy is violated the College has the right to impose all of the sanctions available for all of the violations. Mitigating and/or aggravating circumstances and factors may influence the sanctions imposed.

Primary Sanctions

  1. Written Admonishment—A written notice to the student that his/her conduct is inappropriate. The infraction and corrective measure(s) are summarized and a warning about possible future consequences should that behavior continue is delivered.
  2. Disciplinary Probation (for a specified term)—Disciplinary Probation signifies that further violation of College policy while the probation is in effect may result in sanctions which are increased in severity from what is typical in a given situation. Such increased sanctions may include extension of probation, loss of College housing (temporarily or permanently), suspension, and/or expulsion from the institution.
  3. Disciplinary Probation for Tenure—See Disciplinary Probation, above. When probation is assigned for tenure, it remains in effect for the balance of the student’s enrollment at Hood or until rescinded in writing by the Dean of Students (or designee).
  4. Dean’s Probation—With authorization from the Dean of Students, Dean’s Probation may be enacted by any hearing officer. See Dean’s Probation, in the Administrative Policies and Procedures section.
  5. Housing Dismissal—A permanent dismissal from the residential system. The student may not reapply for residency and may not enter Hood’s residential facilities after issuance. The student will generally be provided with a timeline for moving out, however, in certain cases, students may be required to move out immediately as to ensure the health and safety of all involved. In the event a student is dismissed from housing for a disciplinary infraction, the Dean of Students will make a determination as to whether or not a hearing must be held to determine if the individual can remain a student at Hood College.
  6. Suspension—Temporary removal from enrollment at the institution by the Dean of Students or another College official who has authorization to enact suspensions. Suspensions may be for a set period of time, until certain conditions are met, and/or until rescinded by the College. Suspension may include restriction from being present on campus during the suspension period.
  7. Expulsion—Permanent separation from the College by the Dean of Students or another College official who has authorization to enact expulsions. The student may not re-enroll. Expulsion generally carries a restriction from being present on campus after issuance.

Supplemental Sanctions

  1. Loss of privileges—Denial of specified privileges for a designated period of time, as defined by the individual(s) who impose the sanction. Examples of privileges which may be denied include, but are not limited to, guest and visitation privileges, ability to participate in or attend events, and ability to participate in room selection.
  2. Fines—Monetary sanctions. All fines are subject to change and may be higher than stated depending on the circumstances. Any policy violation may be subject to a fine.
  3. Educational assignments—Tasks that are creatively applied with the education of the violator in mind. Assignments have some meaningful relationship to the violation and may take the form of an interview or research paper.
  4. Community service—A designated number of hours of community service may be assigned at a particular site, or the student may be permitted to choose an approved site.
  5. Conflict mediation—A meeting with a designated person and two or more parties in conflict to attempt resolution and terms of agreement for future interactions.
  6. Referral to and/or mandated support service—Includes, but is not limited to, counseling, alcohol assessment, utilization of community resources such as Alcoholics Anonymous, and/or educational programs.
  7. Restitution—Reimbursement for damages to, destruction of, or misappropriation of Hood College property or property of any person.
  8. Forced relocation—A new room and/or hall placement will be assigned to the student for the benefit of the individual and/or others in the residential system. The student will be required to move within a prescribed period of time.
  9. Suspension from housing—A requirement that the student vacate the residential system for the length of time specified. This may take the form of a weekend suspension or a suspension for the remainder of a term, school year, etc. Students suspended from housing may not enter Hood’s residential facilities while the suspension is in effect.


Campus: The physical property owned, leased or otherwise controlled by Hood College, including grounds, buildings, etc. and the immediately adjacent public sidewalks and streets.

Common Area: Any area on campus generally open to students or their guests and visitors. Examples include: hallways, lounges, grounds, stairways and shared/public bathrooms.

Residential Area: Residential rooms and College-leased apartments, hallways on which residents’ rooms and individual apartments are located, stairways, other common areas, residents’ bathrooms, and immediately surrounding grounds.

Resident Room(s): The specific accommodation(s) assigned to a specific resident or residents. This includes the entire apartment for College-leased apartments.

51 Percent Rule: The 51 Percent Rule, governing all interpersonal conflicts, is based on the theory of limitation: the person who wants to limit the offending behavior in the situation/room has the prevailing or majority vote. For example, if a disagreement about quiet arises between roommates, the roommate who favors a more restrictive policy has the majority vote. If the issue concerns guests staying overnight in a room, the roommate who stipulates no overnight guests has the prevailing vote. Hood College encourages students to communicate openly and honestly with each other out of respect and kindness. Student Life staff are available to help students negotiate differences in needs and lifestyles. Students who abuse the 51 percent rule betray the spirit of the Code of Conduct.



Hood College upholds all state and federal laws regarding the usage, purchase, distribution and selling of alcoholic beverages and other drugs. In addition, specific Hood policies are discussed below. All students, including those who may legally consume alcohol must adhere to these policies.

Hood College does not operate in loco parentis with regard to its students. The College is committed to educating students to make and implement appropriate and effective decisions in their own lives. Hood has established a system of educational sanctions for violations of behavioral standards. These are discussed below.

Depending upon the severity of the offense (and consistent with local, state and federal law), the College will impose sanctions as discussed below. In addition, any student who violates federal or Maryland State Law may be subject to proceedings by civil authorities, which are separate from any sanctions imposed by the College.

Possession and use of alcohol, within the limits set by the state of Maryland and Frederick County will be allowed only in:

  • Individual resident rooms and College-leased apartments where ALL residents of the room or apartment are of legal drinking age.
  • Common areas of non-residential campus buildings as approved by the Director of Student Engagement, Director of Residence Life and Student Conduct or Dean of Students for officially sponsored College events. Refer to Procedures for Campus Events for further details on sponsoring events where alcohol is served.

Violation of the Alcohol and Other Drug Policy on campus will be monitored by appointed College personnel (Campus Safety and Security, Residence Life staff, etc.), who will report in writing any alleged infractions to the Dean of Students, Director of Residence Life and Student Conduct or designee. A student conduct hearing will be held to determine responsibility and sanction(s). Final decisions will be sent in writing to the student(s), Director of Campus Safety and Security, Dean of Students and any other affected departments. Students will be held accountable for behavior that fails to comply with those standards outlined in the following policy. Violators will not be released from responsibility for lack of knowledge of these policies.

Sanctions for Alcohol and Drug Violations

Severe violations may necessitate immediate dismissal from the College. With attention towards education and rehabilitation, sanctions will be imposed based on the circumstances. Please note that in addition to College disciplinary action, a Maryland Uniform Alcohol Civil Citation may be issued to an offender for any alcohol-related violation committed on Hood College property that violates state law.

The following sanction structure will be imposed based on the violation circumstances. Violations accrue over the entire course of a student’s tenure at the College.

First Offense

  • Three-hour online educational program(s) on alcohol and/or marijuana use and related issues (and $100 fee for each course assigned, applied to the student’s bill) or alternative educational sanction appropriate to the violation.
  • Completion of follow-up surveys to online program(s).
  • Course registration and ability to participate in room selection may be blocked or dropped until sanction is completed.
  • Disciplinary Probation (Disciplinary Probation may be waived if certain mitigating circumstances exist).

Second Offense

  • Complete alcohol or other drug assessment through an off-campus accredited agency as determined by the College, undertaken at the student’s expense and/or alternative educational sanctions relevant to the violation when certain mitigating circumstances exist.
  • Documented completion of recommendations from assessment, which may include enrollment in an off-campus treatment program and/or drug and alcohol testing, undertaken at the student’s expense.
  • Student status will be reviewed. Disciplinary Probation may be reinstituted or extended, and/or other sanctions such as loss of privileges, relocation or suspension from housing may be enacted.
  • Course registration and ability to participate in room selection may be blocked or dropped until sanction is completed.

Third Offense

  • Dean’s Probation and/or potential dismissal from College housing.
  • Ability to remain a Hood College student is reviewed. Either suspension or expulsion may be considered as possible sanctions.
  • Completion of community service, the service program or hours as determined by the Dean of Students (or designee) in conjunction with the student.
  • Course registration and ability to participate in room selection may be blocked or dropped until sanction is completed.

Fourth Offense

  • Automatic dismissal from College housing and potential dismissal from the College.
  • Additional educational sanctions as warranted by the violation.

Fifth Offense

  • Automatic dismissal from the College.

Non-Academic Sessions (Dry Campus)

Alcohol possession and/or use by students is not permitted in College residential facilities (including leased facilities) when “regular” classes are not in session (i.e., fall and spring semester breaks, spring holiday, orientation, senior week and summer sessions). Any student who is found in violation of this policy will receive a sanction and may find him or herself in jeopardy of automatic suspension or dismissal from the College. Restrictions on alcohol possession and use in non-residential buildings and public areas of the campus, as specified elsewhere in this policy, also remain in effect.

Other Specific Behavioral Violations

Behavior considered a violation of the College Alcohol and Other Drug policy includes, but is not limited to, the following:

  • Use, possession, sale or distribution of any illegal drugs, including prescription drugs not specifically intended for the individual through a doctor’s prescription.
  • Use, possession, sale or distribution of any “designer” or analog substance intended to mimic the effects of an illegal substance and/or sale, distribution or purchase/receipt of any substance (legal or illegal) under the pretense that it is actually a prohibited substance.
  • Use, possession, sale or distribution of alcoholic substances by persons under 21 years of age.
  • Use, possession, sale or distribution of alcoholic substances by anyone to persons under 21 years of age.
  • Consumption, possession, sale or distribution of alcoholic beverages in a nondesignated area (including residence hall or language/honors house lounges and living rooms) by any person regardless of age.
  • Possession or use of common source containers (e.g., kegs, beer balls, etc.) anywhere on campus.
  • Public intoxication or disruptive behavior resulting from drinking or drug use on or off campus, regardless of age.
  • Damage to College or individual property as a result of alcohol or other drug use on or off campus, regardless of age.
  • Hosting a party (as defined by the Procedures for Campus Events) where alcohol is served, that has not been approved by the Director of Student Engagement or Dean of Students.
  • Being underage in a room where alcohol is present.
  • Permitting those under the age of 21 to be in one’s room or College-leased apartment when alcohol is present.
  • Presence of alcohol in a room or College-leased apartment when one of the assigned inhabitants of that room/apartment is under the age of 21.
  • Presence in a room or area where illegal drugs are being utilized.
  • Possession of empty alcohol containers or “trophy bottles” in a room or Collegeleased apartment where one of the assigned inhabitants in under the age of 21.
  • Possession of drug paraphernalia which demonstrates evidence of prior drug use.
  • Falsely representing one’s age to illegally purchase, receive or obtain any alcoholic beverages.
  • Violations of any of the above policies by one’s guests. (Note: guests may be banned from campus, prohibited from enrolling in Hood’s program or reported to local authorities).

Medical Amnesty & Good Samaritan Policy

Hood College places the safety of students first in situations involving alcohol and drug use. To ensure a student’s safety, the College considers overuse of alcohol and drugs (including, but not limited to overdose, toxicity and poisoning) a medical emergency, and seeks appropriate medical treatment in such situations. When a student receives medical attention for these reasons, the College reserves the right to notify parents and guardians as needed.

The Medical Amnesty Policy is a way for Hood College to reduce the harmful consequences caused by the abuse of alcohol or drugs. Hood College does not condone underage drinking or the use of illegal drugs. This policy is designed to promote responsible decisions when students are faced with medical emergencies requiring emergency medical attention. Emergency medical attention is defined as admittance to a hospital. The purpose of this policy is to remove barriers and increase the likelihood that students who require emergency medical assistance as a result of high risk alcohol or drug consumption will receive such assistance. This policy will provide an opportunity for a caring intervention; those who qualify will not receive any sanctions from the College and no Alcohol and Other Drug policy violation will be recorded in the student’s educational record.

Qualifying for Medical Amnesty

There are two categories of individuals who may qualify for medical amnesty. For amnesty to apply, either on or off campus premises 1) the person in need of emergency medical attention, or 2) other individuals present must proactively request assistance for the person in need of assistance.

These categories are described below:

Persons in need of Emergency Medical Attention

Students who a) proactively seek emergency medical attention on their own or b) for whom emergency medical attention is proactively sought by other individuals present and who are transported to the hospital for reasons directly related to the consumption or use of alcohol or drugs may be eligible to receive medical amnesty. Students who receive emergency medical attention may be granted medical amnesty only once while enrolled at Hood College. Any subsequent violation will result in a referral to the Student Conduct System.

Other Individuals Present

Students who proactively seek emergency assistance on behalf of persons experiencing alcohol or drug related emergencies are eligible to receive amnesty. In order to encourage students to be proactive in helping others, the College does not set a limit on the number of times a student can seek amnesty while assisting others during an alcohol or drug-related emergency, but reserves the right to revoke future amnesty if an individual student is utilizing this policy in an abusive manner.


Any student who may be eligible for amnesty will meet with the Dean of Students, Director of Residence Life and Student Conduct, or designee. If the student qualifies for medical amnesty, no disciplinary actions will be issued for violation of the Alcohol and Other Drug policy. Students granted amnesty may be required to participate in an appropriate educational program or referred to additional resources on or off campus in order to receive amnesty. Failure to meet with the designated staff member and/or complete the follow-up assigned will disqualify a student for amnesty and result in referral of the matter to the Student Conduct System.

Limitations of Medical Amnesty

Medical amnesty applies to incidents that require emergency medical attention where the student is taken to the hospital in direct relation to the consumption or use of alcohol or drugs, after proactive measures by either the person in need of medical attention him/herself and/or by other individuals present in the incident. The policy does not apply to situations where College staff members (including RAs and Campus Safety officers) discover an incident absent such proactive measures and subsequently or concurrently determine (or are informed) that an individual requires medical attention.

Additionally, the policy does not apply to other prohibited conduct, such as, but not limited to, violence and threats, theft, damage and vandalism, compliance, sexual assault, etc. If other prohibited conduct occurs, the student(s) will be held responsible through the Student Conduct System for those violations.

Nothing in this policy shall prevent an individual who has enforcement obligations under state or federal law to report, charge, or take other action related to the possible criminal prosecution of any student. This policy does not protect or preclude a student from civil or criminal action, which is separate from the College process.

Illicit Drugs and Alcohol

Hood College complies with the Drug-Free Schools and Communities Act Amendment of 1989, Public Law 101-226. This law requires that, as a condition for receiving federal funds, Hood College must certify that it has adopted and implemented a program to prevent the unlawful possession, use and/or distribution of illicit drugs and alcohol by students and employees.

In accordance with the mandates of federal, state, and local legislation, the manufacture, distribution, possession or use of illicit drugs, and the unlawful possession, use or distribution of alcohol on Hood College property—or as part of any of its activities—is prohibited.

Substance abuse is one of our primary concerns relative to the health and welfare of members of the Hood College community and we hope the following information is helpful to all who need assistance.

All members of the academic community—students, faculty and staff—share the responsibility for protecting the Hood College environment and all are expected to exemplify high standards of professional and personal conduct. The illegal or abusive use of drugs or alcohol by members of the Hood College community adversely affects the educational environment. Hood College is committed to maintaining a learning environment that is free of illegal drug use and alcohol abuse.

Hood College utilizes educational strategies as its major approach to this problem. Everyone should be aware, however, that any member of the College community who uses illegal drugs or abuses any drug, including alcohol, may be subject to prosecution and punishment by the civil authorities and to disciplinary proceedings by the College.

Individuals who are using drugs should stop. This policy does NOT punish people who seek rehabilitation. All information provided by people who voluntarily avail themselves of drug or alcohol counseling or rehabilitation services will be confidential. It will NOT be used against the individual.

For faculty and staff, the EAP (Employee Assistance Program) includes confidential counseling and referral services available to all employees who seek assistance in resolving problems such as alcohol or drug abuse. Drug and alcohol counseling are only a portion of the services provided. For further information, contact Human Resources at x3592.

Students, faculty and staff are responsible, as citizens, for knowing about and complying with the provisions of federal, state and local laws regarding illegal substances. Any member of the College community who violates the law may be subject both to prosecution and punishment by the civil authorities, and also to disciplinary proceedings by the College.

The College will initiate disciplinary proceedings against a student, faculty or staff member when the alleged conduct is deemed a violation of College policies and procedures. Sanctions may include education, counseling, dismissal from College housing and/or up to automatic dismissal from the College.

As provided by federal law and regulations, employees participating in a grantsupported activity, who are convicted of a criminal drug offense involving a violation in the workplace, must notify the College within five (5) days after such conviction and are subject to appropriate action by the College. The action may require participation in an approved rehabilitation program or disciplinary action up to and including termination.

Students enrolling at Hood under Title IV eligibility are also required to report drug convictions to the College and must understand that they will lose Title IV eligibility due to a drug conviction.

Questions concerning Hood College’s alcohol and drug policy and its provisions should be directed to:

Wellness Center (301) 696-3439

Office of Residence Life and Student Conduct (301) 696-3577

Office of Dean of Students (301) 696-3573

Department of Campus Safety and Security (301) 696-3548

Department of Human Resources (301) 696-3592


Students are expected to comply with the requests of College officials including, but not limited to administrators, staff and faculty. Students are expected to comply with requests made by dining hall staff, resident assistants and residence hall desk attendants in performance of their duties.


Hood College expects all students to demonstrate respect for the community and treat all facilities on campus appropriately. The College may charge restitution and fines for damages, vandalism, and inappropriate alteration.

  1. Students may not misuse or damage any College property. Restitution for damaged property will be applied to the involved student(s) account. Restitution may be charged even for accidental damage. Additional fines may be applied for intentional damage.
  2. Alteration of College property is prohibited.
  3. The College reserves the right to charge the students of a group, organization, floor, area or residence hall, collectively, for destruction of College property located in common areas which cannot be attributed to a specific individual or individuals within said group, organization, floor, area or residence hall.
  4. Residential students should review the Damages and Room Alteration information contained under “Residence Hall Policies” in the Administrative Policies and Procedures section of this handbook for information regarding their responsibility for the condition of their living space.


No student shall alter, tamper with or dismantle any automatic door closure, which is a state fire code violation and carries a fine.


For safety reasons, electrical appliances must be used in an appropriate and responsible manner and must meet established criteria. Misuse of electrical appliances and/or use of unapproved appliances may result in confiscation and disposal of the item(s), fines, and other sanctions.

The following restrictions apply to electrical appliances in the residential system:

  1. Hair appliances and heating pads are the only heat-generating appliances allowed in residence hall rooms. Cooking appliances, halogen lamps, heat lamps, irons, space heaters, electric blankets, electric potpourri burners, fragrant oil warmers, etc., are not allowed. Heat-generating appliances create a fire hazard, especially if used improperly or left plugged in. Improper appliances found in resident rooms may be confiscated and disposed of. Fines will be assessed for possession and use of such items. (Students will not be fined for having an iron or other appliance that is only used in the kitchen or laundry area—they will only be fined for using them in the room).
  2. Hot plates, popcorn poppers, toasters and other cooking appliances may be used only in kitchen areas. Cooking appliances used in residence hall rooms create a fire hazard, especially if used improperly or left plugged in.
  3. Irons may be used only in the laundry rooms.
  4. Only one Microfridge unit OR microwave and refrigerator (not larger than 3.5 cubic feet) are permitted per every two occupants of a resident room (i.e. double and triple rooms are limited to one microwave and refrigerator, quad rooms may have two).
  5. The use of extension cords, “octopus” or multiple outlet strips without a surge protector is not allowed. Students should not use an excessive number of electrical appliances for fire safety reasons.
  6. All appliances, surge protectors, etc. used in the residence halls must carry certification for safety by Underwriters Laboratory (UL) or a similarly recognized testing agency.
  7. Electrical appliances such as small coffee makers are permitted in rooms only if there is an automatic shut off switch, and this setting must be used so that the appliance will shut off after a period of time.


Students should familiarize themselves with the Fire Safety Procedures contained in the Administrative Policies and Procedures section of this handbook. Fire Safety violations will result in fines and sanctions. Repeat or severe offenses may result in removal from College housing, suspension, and/or expulsion from the College.

  1. All individuals must evacuate the building immediately when a fire alarm sounds. Students should always take a fire alarm seriously, never assuming that an alarm merely signifies a drill. It is a violation of Maryland State Law to remain in a building when a fire alarm sounds.
  2. Stairway and hallway fire doors shall be kept closed at all times. Mandated by the state Fire Marshall, these closed doors can contain a fire long enough to allow the occupants to escape.
  3. No Christmas trees or live greenery may be used in any College building. All decorating materials used on floors where students live must be fireproof. A reasonable number of small potted plants are allowed within resident rooms.
  4. Tampering with the fire alarm system, fire extinguishers, fire doors, door closures, red (emergency) phones, smoke detectors or other fire equipment is strictly prohibited.
  5. Entrances, driveways and halls must be free of obstacles. It is prohibited to leave or store items in hallways stairwells or egress routes.
  6. Activities that impede evacuation and/or endanger the safety of others are prohibited including jamming the elevators and tying doors to rooms in such a way that they cannot be opened.
  7. Light fixtures are not to be covered with flammable items such as cloth, paper or cellophane.
  8. Flammable liquids such as lighter fluid, kerosene, gasoline, etc., must be properly stored in designated areas. These items are absolutely not to be stored in resident rooms.
  9. Flammable items, such as sheets, cloth (including tapestries), netting, etc., may not be hung or draped from the walls or ceiling of living spaces.
  10. Candles, incense, Sterno, potpourri burners, or other items that function by burning may not be kept nor used in resident rooms. Candles may not be present in the resident room, even for decorative purposes. Birthday candles are permitted in designated areas of the residential system. Hookahs may be stored, but not used, in resident rooms. Use of hookahs must comply with the College smoking policy.
  11. Smoking paraphernalia, such as e-cigarettes, vaporizers, and hookahs, are prohibited from being used within in any College-owned or leased buildings at all times. Items may be stored, but not used, in resident rooms. Use of these items must comply with the College smoking policy. Improper use will result in confiscation of items, which may not be returned to the offender.
  12. No one shall use the elevator in the event of a fire or fire drill.
  13. Under no circumstances may fireplaces in residential facilities be used.


All necessary furnishings are supplied by the College and must remain in the rooms or areas in which they are placed by the College. The College cannot store furniture for students in the residential system, nor should College furniture be placed in hallways, empty rooms, common areas or residence hall storage rooms.

  1. Window screens and storm windows are not to be removed.
  2. Residential furnishings, including bed frames and mattresses provided by the College, must remain in the assigned room. Storage space in the residence halls is very limited and is available for residents’ trunks, suitcases and other small items. To maintain proper inventory of the furniture, all assigned furnishings must stay in the appropriate room at all times. Residents with furniture missing from their rooms when the halls close will be fined and may be billed for the cost of replacing the missing item(s).
  3. Residents may not remove bed frames and place box springs and mattresses directly on the floor, as this damages the mattress, box spring, floors and carpets.
  4. Provided furniture in College-leased housing is not to be placed on outdoor decks or patios. Such use has the potential to damage the furniture and may also be a violation of the College’s lease.


All gambling on campus is prohibited unless otherwise approved by College officials in accordance with Maryland law. Any activities that violate Maryland state law may result in disciplinary sanctions. If a Student Organization is in violation of this policy, the organization officers will be held responsible.


All students are responsible for keeping the grounds of Hood College tidy and neat. Residents are specifically responsible for the grounds surrounding their hall. Littering and the destruction of the lawns, trees or shrubbery is prohibited. Residence hall students may be required to pick up the trash and litter surrounding their hall if requested by Student Life staff.


Students are responsible for the behavior of all guests they invite to campus and are expected to escort such guests at all times. To maintain the security of the residents, the following procedures have been established governing visitation policies in the residential system. These policies apply to all students, including non-residential students who visit the residential system. These policies also apply to non-students who visit campus. Residential students are considered guests in residential facilities other than the building in which they have been assigned a room and must follow all procedures related to guests when visiting a building other than their own.

  1. All guests must be hosted by a resident of the building they are visiting. All guests must be accompanied by their hosts at all times.
  2. Hosts are required to sign in their guest(s) in the sign in book at the residence hall front desk prior to proceeding past the desk with their guest(s). Guests are equally responsible to ensure they are properly signed-in. Residents of Collegeleased housing need not formally sign-in guests but are subject to all other aspects of this policy.
  3. Each resident is permitted to sign in/host a maximum of four guests at any time. An exception to this limit may be made for visiting family members.
  4. Residents may not allow prohibited individuals into any facility within the residential system.
  5. Hosts are responsible for the behavior of their guest(s). Responsibility for guests may include the cost of repair or replacement to any property or for the treatment resulting from personal injury to others. Additionally, hosts whose guest(s) violate the Code of Conduct are subject to judicial sanctions related to the violation(s) of the guest(s). All guests must comply with the Code of Conduct.
  6. Any guest, who in the judgment of Residence Life or Campus Safety staff, is engaged in activities that are disruptive, abusive, destructive, or potentially destructive will be asked to vacate immediately. Residence Life staff may restrict guest privileges at any time.
  7. Overnight guests are permitted in the residence. The 51 Percent Rule applies in situations involving overnight guests: a roommate’s consent must be obtained before plans can be made for overnight guests or visitors. The roommate who wants to further limit the situation has the final decision in the matter. Guests may stay overnight for a maximum of three nights out of any seven night period. The same guest may not continue to stay overnight for extended periods of time throughout the semester.
  8. No attempts may be made by other residents to sign in or host a guest for a resident whose guest privileges have been revoked. Such attempts will result against judicial action against both parties.
  9. If a guest is in the residence hall for an official Hood function (class meeting, program, etc.), and not to visit an individual, she or he should sign in, listing the event as her or his host and proceed to the event directly. Such guests must leave the residence hall promptly at the conclusion of said event.

Residence halls and floors can vote to restrict these policies further but may not vote to loosen the policies as listed above. Such additional restrictions may not be based upon the sex of the guest and/or host.



As a place of honor and respect, all members of the College assume the obligation to maintain the principles of honesty, responsibility and intellectual integrity in all activities related to their Hood College experience. It is the responsibility of each student to support these values through maturity of thought, expression and action. Members of the faculty, staff and administration are available to assist students in this process. Academic life at Hood is guided by an honor system. The basic aims of the honor system are: to encourage and promote a trustful relationship amongst all members of the College community, to offer students the opportunity to exercise responsibilities and shared governance on campus and to make students more aware of their personal principles of honor.

The academic Honor Code is shared between the faculty, administration and the students. A judicial system of students, faculty and administrators considers and adjudicates violations of academic integrity. The College reserves the right to adjudicate alleged violations of the Honor Code purely administratively.


The Honor Pledge reads as follows: “Recognizing the importance and value of the Hood College honor system, I pledge on my personal honor that I will uphold the honor system for the duration of my enrollment at Hood College. Furthermore, I will read and make every effort to understand the concepts of the honor system.”


All Hood undergraduates affirm on each class assignment that they “have neither given nor received any unauthorized aid.” Failure to include this statement is a violation of the Honor Code in itself and does not release a student from its expectations. Students should consult with their instructors to determine what types of aid are permitted in each specific class and on each particular assignment. Examples of academic integrity violations include, but are not limited to:

Cheating: copying another’s work or allowing your work to be copied, bringing unauthorized materials into an exam, using electronic devices in an unauthorized manner to give or receive aid, using unauthorized materials to complete an exam or assignment, communicating (via any means) during an exam without approval, failing to turn in exam materials at the conclusion of an exam, taking an exam in an unauthorized location, leaving the exam environment (except in an emergency or with the approval of the proctor), giving or receiving unauthorized peer aid on assignments and/or completing individual assignments in a group setting, without the approval of the instructor, such that each student is not solely responsible for his or her own work.

Plagiarism: any unacknowledged use of another person’s language or ideas, whether intentional or unintentional. Students wishing advice on the proper use and acknowledgement of scholarly materials should consult with their individual instructors, the library staff and any of the several reliable guides to scholarly writing that these sources recommend.

Re-submission: Submission and/or duplication of work completed for one course in another course, without the approval of all instructors involved.

Other: Activities which compromise academic integrity in any way are both an affront to the general standards of conduct on which an intellectual community depends and a specific violation of the Honor Code. As such, these offenses, whether specifically listed above or not, are treated seriously and may lead to severe disciplinary action, including dismissal from the College.


As the Honor Code is in place to promote the principles of honesty, responsibility and intellectual integrity, the scope of the Honor Code extends to academic related behavior beyond the classroom itself.

Actions which demonstrate willful dishonesty, falsification, or are designed to mislead other members of the Hood community constitute violations of the Honor Code. Such behavior may lead to disciplinary action, including dismissal from the College.


As members of a community built upon the principles of honor, all Hood students have an obligation to uphold the principles of the honor system. This obligation includes an expectation that violations of the Honor Code be promptly reported by those who witness them.


Students may be held accountable for any actions which violate the spirit and/or principles of the Honor Code. An appropriate judicial body or administrator may issue sanctions, including dismissal from the College, for such violations.


Violations which occur in the classroom itself or in connection with coursework should be promptly reported to the class instructor by those who have knowledge of the violation. Such violations may be resolved informally by the instructor or may be referred to the Academic Judicial Council for further proceedings. When resolving issues informally due process requires that instructors will speak with the accused student to determine the facts of the matter at hand and may assess a penalty, according to faculty guidelines; this may include, but is not limited to, failing or lowered grades on assignments or courses. The outcome of informal resolutions (by instructors) will be reported to the AJC advisor for record keeping purposes.

Violations which occur outside of the classroom itself or that are not connected to the work associated with a specific course should be promptly reported to the AJC Advisor. Such violations may be referred to the Academic Judicial Council or an appropriate faculty member for further proceedings.

Academic Judicial Council (AJC)

When a matter is referred to the Academic Judicial Council, a body of students and faculty advised by the Director of Residence Life and Student Conduct, mediation (if desired by all parties) or a more formal hearing will be conducted in which all parties will be able to present evidence. The totality of the evidence will be considered and if a preponderance of the evidence exists that a violation occurred, sanctions will be issued or recommended. As warranted by the violation, such sanctions may be severe, including dismissal from the College.

Additional information regarding AJC procedures may be obtained from the Director of Residence Life and Student Conduct.


Appeals regarding decisions and sanctions for Honor Code matters must be in writing, and must be received by the appropriate appeal body/officer within five (5) business days of the date of written notification of the decision. The person appealing must state their reason for appeal. Acceptable reasons include:

  • Substantive new evidence, which was unknown at the time of the decision, and which may have an impact on the outcome.
  • Procedural error.

The appeal body/officer will review the appeal and determine if valid grounds for appeal exist. A new hearing is not automatically granted. If valid grounds for appeal exist, the appeal body/officer will schedule a hearing to decide the matter.

To whom appeals are to be directed depends upon what body or individual issued the most recent decision on the matter. The guide below illustrates to whom an appeal should be directed.

If the decision was issued by:

AN INSTRUCTOR, appeal to the Academic Judicial Council (contact the Director of Residence Life and Student Conduct for further information.)

THE ACADEMIC JUDICIAL COUNCIL, appeal to the Board of Appeals (contact the Director of Residence Life and Student Conduct for further information.)

THE BOARD OF APPEALS, appeal to the Provost

THE PROVOST, appeal to the President of the College



Through an integration of the liberal arts and the professions, Hood College provides an education that empowers students to use their hearts, minds and hands to meet personal, professional and global challenges and to lead purposeful lives of responsibility, leadership, service and civic engagement.

College Recognition

The College may recognize student organizations that have a mission consistent with the mission of the College, meet student organization requirements and adhere to College regulations. Membership must consist entirely of matriculated Hood students and alumnae and alumni, except where it may also be appropriate for Hood faculty and staff to be members. Organizations may not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, age, gender, national origin, ancestry, marital status, sexual preference or orientation, disability or any other classification protected by applicable local, state or federal laws.

College recognition affords the organization many benefits:

  • the use of the name of Hood College in the title of the organization;
  • the use of campus facilities, equipment and technology;
  • inclusion in the Student Organization Directory and the Hood Student Organizations website; and
  • the opportunity to apply for funding from the SGA Finance Committee. New Student Organization Recognition Process

To apply for recognition, organizations must complete the necessary paperwork, develop a constitution, have an advisor and have at least 5 other students as charter members of the organization.

Student organizations will first submit their paperwork to the Office of Student Engagement. The Director of Student Engagement will then forward the packet to the Hood College Student Government Association, Dean of Students and Department Chairs, if necessary. The Student Government Committee for Student Life will make a recommendation on recognition to the Director of Student Engagement. After meeting with the petitioning student organization and reviewing the submitted information, the Director of Student Engagement will either grant or deny recognition. The Director’s decision may be appealed to the Dean of Students.

Paperwork for New Student Organization Recognition can be found outside the Student Life Suite. Students need to complete the application packet, which includes drafting a constitution, providing a list of prospective members, securing an advisor and providing the answers to the following questions:

  • What is the mission of this organization?
  • What differentiates this organization from others currently on campus?
  • How will this organization contribute to the academic, social, multi-cultural and spiritual life of the institution?
  • What is the process for recruitment and education of new members?

Academic, professional, or honorary organizations will first have their information reviewed by Student Government Association and the academic department with which it is affiliated. The department and Student Government Association will forward recommendations on recognition to the Director of Student Engagement. The Director of Student Engagement will review the submitted information and either grant or deny recognition. The Director’s Decision may be appealed to the Dean of Students. Updated information can be found in the Office of Student Engagement.

Continuation of Organization Recognition

To continue to be recognized by the College, organizations must:

  • Complete the Organization Active Status Form
  • Have a current constitution on file in the Office of Student Engagement
  • Adhere to College policies, including the non-discrimination policy and event registration policy
  • Hold regular meetings
  • Attend Organization Leadership events as required by the Office of Student Engagement
  • Sponsor at least one all campus event per semester
  • Have a faculty/staff advisor
  • Participate in at least one College or community service related event each year


Academic Services (Center for Academic Achievement & Retention)...............(301) 696-3569

Admission.............................................................................................................(301) 696-3400

Alumni Relations .................................................................................................. (301) 696-3900

Aquatics................................................................................................................ (301) 696-3484

Athletics................................................................................................................ (301) 696-3499

Bookstore ............................................................................................................. (301) 696-3480

Campus Safety and Security, Department of ................................................... (301) 696-3548

Campus Safety and Security, Communications Center ................................... (301) 696-3548

Emergencies ....................................................................................................... (301) 696-3111

Career Center.......................................................................................................(301) 696-3583

Coblentz Hall ....................................................................................................... (301) 696-3629

Community Service .............................................................................................. (301) 696-3751

Commuter Life ..................................................................................................... (301) 696-3575

Conference Services ............................................................................................ (301) 696-3711

Counseling Services.............................................................................. (301) 696-3440 or 3441

Dean of the Chapel .............................................................................................. (301) 696-3436

Dean of the Graduate School..............................................................................(301) 696-3600

Dean of Students ................................................................................................. (301) 696-3573

Development........................................................................................................ (301) 696-3700

Dining Services .................................................................................................... (301) 696-3987

Disability Services ................................................................................................ (301) 696-3421

Diversity and Inclusion........................................................................................ (301) 696-3575

Duplicating Services ............................................................................................ (301) 696-3593

Faculty Services ................................................................................................... (301) 696-3473

Financial Aid.........................................................................................................(301) 696-3411

Financial Services ................................................................................................ (301) 696-3607

Health Services .................................................................................................... (301) 696-3439

Human Resources ............................................................................................... (301) 696-3592

International Student Services............................................................................ (301) 696-3799

IT Help Desk ......................................................................................................... (301) 696-3622

Library (Beneficial Hodson Library) .................................................................... (301) 696-3915

Memorial Hall....................................................................................................... (301) 696-3634

Meyran Hall .......................................................................................................... (301) 696-3643

Ombudsperson..................................................................................................... (301) 696-3295

Orientation ........................................................................................................... (301) 696-3575

Post Office ............................................................................................................ (301) 696-3594

President of the College ...................................................................................... (301) 696-3855

Registrar.............................................................................................................. (301) 696-3616

Residence Life and Student Conduct ................................................................. (301) 696-3577

Shriner Hall .......................................................................................................... (301) 696-3640

Smith Hall............................................................................................................. (301) 696-3639

Student Engagement ........................................................................................... (301) 696-3575

The Blazer ............................................................................................................ (301) 696-3245

The Blue & Grey (Campus Newspaper).............................................................. (301) 696-3641

Vice President for Academic Affairs and Provost ............................................... (301) 696-3623

Vice President for Enrollment Management....................................................... (301) 696-3400

Vice President for Finance and Treasurer .......................................................... (301) 696-3611

Vice President for Institutional Advancement .................................................... (301) 696-3700

Vice President for Student Life and Dean of Students ...................................... (301) 696-3573

Whitaker Campus Center Information Desk ....................................................... (301) 696-3964

All other Campus telephone numbers may be reached via the Communications Center by dialing “0” from a campus phone or (301) 663-3131 from a non-campus phone.